Home > General (L405) > Sport mode
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Crasher242

United Kingdom 2014 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Corris Grey
Sport mode

So today I had the opportunity to drive my RR in sport mode Very Happy

I was staggered at the difference in how the car behaved and performed - very impressed.
In "normal mode" it seems (to me) to be very relaxed in pulling away , and out from junctions - don't get me wrong, I know that when I do boot it it will happily roar into life! But in sports mode it seemed so much more responsive.
And the throttle blipping on downshift when slowing down put a real smile on my face.

The only thing missing was the crackle and popping from the exhausts, but I guess that's not really a RR thing Smile

Anyway, I guess this might be old news to the long-term RR owners on here, but it was a pleasant surprise to me, and something I thoroughly intend to enjoy more of very soon.

Thumbs Up Current
Vogue SE 4.4 SDV8
Previous highlights
Many Mini's!
Audi S8
Audi A6 Avant (the petrol guzzling Bi-turbo)
Subaru H6 3.0 Estate
Peugeot 406 Coupe V6
Audi 80 Quattro Sport

Post #511953 13th Apr 2019 4:42pm
Alistair

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Santorini Black

On the right roads it makes a real difference - you’re in the right gear to accelerate,out of roundabouts Thumbs Up

Post #511958 13th Apr 2019 5:30pm
Vogue

United Kingdom 

^^thats why it’s called Sport Mode Thumbs Up Very Happy

Funnily enough if you leave it in Sport and do a 300 mile motorway trip, it relearns the throttle openings and change up points to what the normal mode is - that’s assuming you drive like a fart 2021 L405 Vogue SE 4.4 V8 DIESEL ~ #17

Post #511966 13th Apr 2019 6:52pm
Fleagle_UK

United Kingdom 2014 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Luxor

If you want to feel a real difference - put it in sand mode and sport at the same time. (note the gear box will change to manual shift).

Post #512052 14th Apr 2019 12:40pm
CUE99T

Scotland 

I use it often to just give better over taking etc

Use it with the paddles and its quite a lot pof fun even in a 3.0 D all smug in my new plug!

2021 Westminster Black D300
2013 Vogue SE - gone
Some Porsche Cayenne guff pretending to be a 4x4!!
2006 Vogue
2004 Vogue
2001 Vogue

Post #512065 14th Apr 2019 4:07pm
carlos50

United Kingdom 2015 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Santorini Black

I recently had my 5.0 S/C AB tuned by Viezu, its now circa 560 bhp and 690 Nm, much better ride in D and better again in S, like you say, shame it doesnt afford the slightest bit more noise just to finish off the more sporting ride.

I think the tune altered the ride quality a little (read this on here a few years ago) but I dont mind because it felt a little flatter in the corners after the tune, dont ask how or why Shocked

Still wish it had a more sensitive throttle, it has a spot where it doesnt do much then its off like a shot, the tune has reduced it a lot but not completely

Post #512142 15th Apr 2019 12:03pm
Stephen.125

2011 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Santorini Black

@Carlos intriguing, how much was that?

I feel like there is a massive lag sometimes, even worse when you activate kickdown, feels like it's taking a deep breath before it does anything.

Thanks,

Stephen Thumbs Up Formerly happymadison1978

Post #512148 15th Apr 2019 1:27pm
carlos50

I used their V Switch product, its a handheld device that plugs in to the OBD port, you read for error messages and if all good it reads the cars ECU then send it to them and they send you a tune file to load into the car.

First file didnt give enough smoothness in the gearshift, they sent a new one no hesitation and it pulls like a train now.

Cost was about £600 from memory, well worth it, and I heard once that Viezu write a lot of the tune files for other tiners to use, true or not I dont know but happy that I tuned my car from my own home.

Post #512164 15th Apr 2019 3:30pm
Stephen.125

2011 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Santorini Black

That's brilliant, thanks Carlos!

Sorry for the thread hijack! Formerly happymadison1978

Post #512226 16th Apr 2019 8:44am
carlos50

Its deffo worth a look, I came out of an AMG SUV so my 5.0 S/C felt soft, slow etc. its woken it up quite a lot, feels like a 500+ BHP car now where it didnt before and it needed so much throttle to actually get it going, a real sleeping giant thats finally woke up a fair bit.

Sport mode is great and the tune doesnt make it too much for mine, just need a little bit more noise from her now Whistle

Post #512231 16th Apr 2019 9:35am
RRVSE

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Vogue SDV8 Corris Grey

@Crasher242 - for info - I think the apparent slowness setting off in normal 'D'rive is because the car sets off in second gear by default , if I remember correctly. Hence, if you wanted to nip out of a road end without selecting Sport mode, you would downshift manually to 1st gear to get a quicker response if required.
Also of note is that if you have your cruise set to say 53mph , the SDV8 appears to sit in 7th gear (I assume in case it suddenly hits an incline or something) so if you manually change it to 8th it will switch to that and when if drops back into normal drive when you don't continue to use the paddleshift, it leaves it in 8th anyway. Drops the revs by a few hundred rpm by doing this - I found it out whilst sitting at 53mph on the average speed motorways for months on end. So guess this could be true for lower gears aswell if you happen to have the cruise set at a speed where it could viably upshift to the next gear but doesn't. Steve

Main car : FFRR L405 Vogue SDV8
Other car : Vauxhall Lotus Carlton
Past cars : FFRR L322 Vogue TD6 SE (Sept 2006 MY07) ; LandCruiser SWB ; 4-Runner ; Supras; XJS V12 LeMans

Post #512580 19th Apr 2019 1:33pm
Cam-Tech-Craig

England 2015 Range Rover SVAutobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

carlos50 wrote:

Still wish it had a more sensitive throttle, it has a spot where it doesnt do much then its off like a shot, the tune has reduced it a lot but not completely

There is a device one of my friends had fitted to his BMW M6 which has a dial 1-6 and the throttle changes ferocity! Works VERY well.
Ill send him a text now to ask for a name Thumbs Up

Post #512588 19th Apr 2019 2:17pm
carlos50

Its a pedal box, basically makes the car think you pressed the throttle much more than you actually did.

Nice idea but Im not sure to be honest, I feel like the RR gearing, driveshafts etc just arent quite set up for that quick getaway, mine feels like the rear diff takes a moment to think that you just asked it to set off LOL, the set up in my AMG was much more responsive and seamless, theres a definite pause from standstill in the RR regardless of tune, gear position, S or D etc

Post #512630 19th Apr 2019 9:45pm
Crasher242

United Kingdom 2014 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Corris Grey

RRVSE wrote:
@Crasher242 - for info - I think the apparent slowness setting off in normal 'D'rive is because the car sets off in second gear by default , if I remember correctly. Hence, if you wanted to nip out of a road end without selecting Sport mode, you would downshift manually to 1st gear to get a quicker response if required.
Also of note is that if you have your cruise set to say 53mph , the SDV8 appears to sit in 7th gear (I assume in case it suddenly hits an incline or something) so if you manually change it to 8th it will switch to that and when if drops back into normal drive when you don't continue to use the paddleshift, it leaves it in 8th anyway. Drops the revs by a few hundred rpm by doing this - I found it out whilst sitting at 53mph on the average speed motorways for months on end. So guess this could be true for lower gears aswell if you happen to have the cruise set at a speed where it could viably upshift to the next gear but doesn't.

I had a play yesterday and think I did notice that it would want to pull away in 2nd as you say.

May play some more next week when the bank holiday is over. Current
Vogue SE 4.4 SDV8
Previous highlights
Many Mini's!
Audi S8
Audi A6 Avant (the petrol guzzling Bi-turbo)
Subaru H6 3.0 Estate
Peugeot 406 Coupe V6
Audi 80 Quattro Sport

Post #512774 21st Apr 2019 6:48pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1