Home > Maintenance & Mods (L405) > Drove L494 Supercharged- Opinion & Questions
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
carlos50

United Kingdom 2015 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Santorini Black
Drove L494 Supercharged- Opinion & Questions

Hi all

Despite having my 65 plate 5.0 S/C AB tuned to the same power as the SVA/SVAutobiography Dynamic it just wasnt doing it for me, still felt sluggish and unlike a 550hp vehicle, throttle was still quite numb and/or the acceleration was very all or nothing even though the tune improved it greatly. The 405 just doesnt like to be rushed!!

So, I drove a Sport L494 on Friday, wow, totally different car. Yes sure it feels more sporting, rides flatter etc but the throttle response is night and day between the two, the Sport is waiting to accelerate the 405’s offended if you do.

The Sport felt almost as refined, almost as much luxury but way more rewarding to drive even when just pottering around, Im seriously regretting getting another 405, sorry guys but having driven everything bar exotics the Sport is a better car than the 405 in most areas. Its as quiet, comfortable, equipped, roomy etc and to be honest it felt like more work steering my 405 around town, the Sport won here too.

Yes its faster, louder, stops better, rides without the floating feeling etc, hold on what does the 405 do better, looks more finished off probably.

I left a deposit and may well walk away from my 405 after only 7 weeks, only saving grace could be a drive in an SVABD?

Carl

Post #515114 12th May 2019 7:18pm
carlos50

Sorry, the question bit was, can the gearbox and throttle ECU configuration from the 494 S/C be transferred to a 405 S/C, it really suits the motor better, its completely wasted in the 405.

Post #515115 12th May 2019 7:21pm
Emperor Mong

United Kingdom 2019 Range Rover Autobiography 2.0 PHEV Loire Blue

I have had to send my L405 PHEV back to the dealer (airbag warning light). They have lent me an L495 PHEV. I don't like it. It doesn't have the same sense of space and grace. The engine is perhaps a little better in the L495 (less mass to push along) but it feels a bit less of a car. I like the gear lever though. I have been wondering if that can be retrofitted to an L405.

Sorry, no idea on engine/gearbox mapping. You might, as you say, want to try the SVA.

Post #515117 12th May 2019 7:38pm
carlos50

I felt that my 405 is less refined in some ways actually, I can feel the drivetrain a little more, the lack of exhaust noise means I hear compressor whine which isn't a nice tone and overall the car just feels lazy with steering, gearbox, suspension too bouncy etc rather than having a sense of occasion about it. Sorry but I didn't feel the 494 in top spec was that far away to compensate for the other areas where its better than its big brother.

I admit that it looks nicer, more upmarket and elegant but i don't feel it drives better.

Post #515120 12th May 2019 7:44pm
Lyonhead

Wales 2019 Range Rover SVAutobiography 5.0 SC V8 Loire Blue

Carlos,

I’m sorry but I don’t know the answer to your question but i feel I’m qualified to comment on the remarks you have made comparing the RR and the RRS.

It comes down to individual choice and we are are all different.

The last of my Sports’ was an SVR and yes, the L494 in this model is a Hooligan, a noisy, angry beast of a machine with more power you can ask for or use Whistle , but, it was exactly that. It got very tiresome in the end, the noise especially, even with the exhaust valves closed, don’t get me wrong, the first 6 months of ownership were a hoot but really grated, the seats very uncomfortable and the way you are talking it seems the non SVR 5.0 Supercharged won’t cut it as you seem to want more with ECU and Tuning Mods.

My first foray in to the FullFat world has brought me to here and my SVA-D meets all the criteria, for me, anyway.

More power than you ever want, 565BHP, not as noisy unless you floor it and the comfort is second to none, the ride definitely not floaty, I believe the set up from SVO is different and even sharper in Dynamic and does get down the road as good as my SVR did. It is very much a wolf in sheep’s clothing and still quite rare. It is the last car I’m going to buy as there is nothing out there quite like it / I want.

I personally don’t find it that much bigger to drive on the road, probably a bit wider but other than that it is the car for all conditions and I could think of nothing better to go on a road trip across Europe or pottering around town.

But as I said we are all different and each to his/her own. Thumbs Up 19MY SVA-Dynamic Spectral Chromoflair Blue but colour not available in profile
2016 RRS SVR Estoril Blue - Gone
2010 RRS 5.0 Supercharged Navara Bronze - Gone
2008 RRS 4.2 Supercharged Black - Gone
2006 RRS 2.7 Diesel Rimini Red- Gone

Post #515124 12th May 2019 8:02pm
carlos50

Hi Lyonhead, thank you for the feedback, its bang on to be honest.

I actually contacted SVO about having suspension and exhaust mods done but only ever received a courtesy reply to say they’d get back to me. I love the appeared and larger bulk of the 405 but it just doesn’t feel like its suited to 550hp unless in Dynamic spec as you say, problem it its another £40k to buy that spec hence my wandering towards the L494.

I like a mix of refined relaxing driving and also a bit of noise and dynamic ride now and then, my 405 only wants to offer the refined relaxed ride, its like 550hp unsettles her.

Didnt want to change but it needs to be a bit better with a bit more bark and bit LOL

Really appreciate the comments Thumbs Up

Post #515127 12th May 2019 8:11pm
Emperor Mong

I have all the bark and bite I need from my other car (V12 with 600bhp) so I am content to waft in my FFRR.

As Lyonhead says, it comes down to personal preference.

Post #515129 12th May 2019 8:21pm
carlos50

It would be great if the throttle travel wasn't so obvious and it didn't feel so muted when accelerating, along with being just a tad more damping force to reduce the bounce a little.

The tune I had done really gets it up and at it but only after a little bit of a slow reaction which the Sport doesnt seem to have, wish I could have the same software in my 405, anyone know if it’s possible, same gearbox, engine etc right?

Having read the responses perhaps Im being too critical of my 405, my personal taste just wanted a bit more, guess a Dynamic will be ideal when prices drop? I asked my local dealer for a test drive of one they had to see if it was just the ticket, they couldnt fit me in so yet to find out.

I think I take back some of the negativity Embarassed

Post #515131 12th May 2019 8:52pm
carlos50

Does the SVAB-D have a different throttle/gearbox software to the regular S/C, anyone close enough to a dealer to find out or know from driving both?

Thanks

Post #515136 12th May 2019 9:43pm
Philip

2019 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Aintree Green

Why didn't you just buy an SVR, or a Cayenne Turbo? Or an M5, E63S, Panamera Turbo etc?

Post #515144 12th May 2019 10:32pm
Emperor Mong

carlos50 wrote:
along with being just a tad more damping force to reduce the bounce a little.

Are you using the Dynamic mode (terrain setting) and sport mode? Might sort your impression of the car?

Post #515145 12th May 2019 10:32pm
carlos50

Road setting and yes use Sport mode at times.

Already has the others you suggest apart from SVR, with heavy depreciation across two purchases Im limiting the purchase amount this time so SVR too expensive. I love the size of the 405 but just thought it felt a little uneasy carrying 550hp which is probs why the SV models have different suspension set ups.

Ive asked the local dealer if I can drive their 17 plate SVAB-D today so will see how that feels, probs a really bad idea though since cant buy it so if I love it then the problem only gets wors Big Cry

Post #515155 13th May 2019 6:01am
carlos50

Well, deposit on the Sport refunded this morning, you guys should be salesman Rolling with laughter

Post #515194 13th May 2019 12:45pm
carlos50

Well I drove an SVAB-D today, lovely car, but could barely hear the exhaust and the suspension was fractionally tighter, not what I was expecting really, I can see why some owners who did the exhaust mod to their regular S/C were disappointed.

Glad I did drive it, I was going to consider retrofit of suspension and exhaut parts, but thats deffo out of the question now.

It was a great drive but not quite what Id want for the extra money, personally ofcourse

Thanks

Carl

Post #515621 17th May 2019 4:03pm
Vogue

United Kingdom 

From what you have written in the posts above it sounds like a Range Rover isn’t for you, you need to appreciate it for what it is and what it can do as the best, most desirable, most capable all round 4x4.

A Sport SVR maybe a better choice for your style of driving, but having experience of them whilst they drive and handle well, they are cramped, noisy, uncomfortable, and the quality of the interior is not as plush or as good a quality. 2021 L405 Vogue SE 4.4 V8 DIESEL ~ #17

Post #515630 17th May 2019 5:45pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>