Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > General > 2007 TDV8 buying advice
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Deicist

United Kingdom 
2007 TDV8 buying advice

Found a nice looking fatty to replace my P38, put a deposit on it and going to buy on Wednesday.

I did a quick drive in it last week, no noticeable smoke and seems to drive quite nice. Going to give it a proper look over for rust before buying, and check the boot for water ingress....anything else obvious I can check?

The service record shows the transmission was flushed in December 18, is that a common preventative thing or could it indicate a problem?

The MOT history shows advisories for corrosion on both front brake pipes, not sure if they were sorted before sale or not ...how much would replacing those cost?

There's also an advisory for 'underside coated in waxoyl'. Is that something to be concerned about?

Edit: also, I know the turbos are the main point of concern in these, anything I can check / look out for that would indicate the state of them? Is it worth getting a remap / egr delete sharpish to improve their lifespan?

Edit2: 83k miles on the clock fyi.

Post #515684 18th May 2019 8:46am
finchi

United Kingdom 2017 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Carpathian Grey

There was/ is a recall for replacing the front brake flexible hoses on this MY. Do a search.

I think that the MOT advisory, or was it just a comment, for "waxoyl" just means that the mechanic couldn't carry out some of the inspections required.

Post #515717 18th May 2019 1:20pm
ur20v

A Trap 

Yes do a EGR delete... cheap on eBay and may save the engine and turbos from failure plus keeps the intake system and oil cleaner.

If no oil smoke then just budge for turbos in the future, they should be ok to do at least double the current mileage.

Wax oil is a bit old school but could either be seen as a good thing or hiding something like oil leaks.

Gear box flush/oil change isn’t a LR service point but a good idea as preventative maintenance, if it drives ok with smooth gear changes especially between 1st and 2nd then should be ok.

Post #515721 18th May 2019 2:36pm
Deicist

United Kingdom 

On the subject of EGR blanking, if I fit blanking plates but don't get the EGRs mapped out of the ECU does it cause an engine warning light?

Can you map out the EGRs using a diagnostic tool or something, or does it have to be done as part of a £500ish engine remap?

Post #515747 18th May 2019 8:02pm
ur20v

A Trap 

There is a few on here including me who just blanked the egr’s and have had no codes, warnings or lights, I have done well over 10k of mixed driving and no issues at all.

Get yourself a Gap IiD tool from Dan on here the you can load a tune and egr delete program at a later date plus it will save you a small fortune in diagnostics and setting changes!

Post #515750 18th May 2019 8:35pm
Deicist

United Kingdom 

Well....I bought it!

Ordered some blanking plates as my first job, second is getting it to a main dealer to have the brake pipes changed on the recall.

It's been fairly well serviced, last one was in deccember last year. Is it worth getting the dealer to do an inspection / service while they have it?

Post #516335 23rd May 2019 4:12pm
Alistair

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Santorini Black

What’s the mileage ?

I’d be inclined to get all of the fluids changed

Has the alternator been replaced at all ? 2007 seemed a bad year for those failing - so if not, then worth keeping an eye on.

Post #516337 23rd May 2019 4:21pm
Deicist

United Kingdom 

Gearbox fluid was changed last year. Oil looks like it's been done at least yearly since new.

Don't think the alternator has been changed, I'll keep an eye on it Smile

Post #516338 23rd May 2019 4:26pm
ur20v

A Trap 

Get a magnetic pick up tool, makes fitting the blanking plates easy.

Post #516341 23rd May 2019 5:03pm
TJH1985

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Java Black

+1 on the alternator ours failed on our 2007 a couple of years ago.

Cracked thermostat housing seems to be fairly common, if you are stripping it to blank the EGR’s then while you have it in bits I would check the following as we have had to strip it each time:

Thermostat housing, the leaking coolant dries off and leaves a orange residue around the oil filter area.
    Injector leak off pipes, the o-rings go hard and leak diesel.
    Rocker cover gaskets, ours had gone hard and started to leak oil.
    EGR’s I actually replaced ours with genuine items, they do so much when you look at the live data I was a little nervous removing them.

Check the boost pipes for any signs of splits, we have had both fail during our ownership.

Otherwise it’s the usual bushes etc, oh and make sure you have a good battery on it, low voltage plays havoc with them.

Check your rear arches for rust, and consider fitting the Freelander rubber strips we fitted them when we first brought it and then check them every year - I actually have a anti corrosion grease on the rubber strips for good measure.

Great cars, had ours 5 years and still absolutely love it!

Post #516371 23rd May 2019 11:04pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1