Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > General > Ok So what have I learned in my first month of ownership?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Anvil

United Kingdom 
Ok So what have I learned in my first month of ownership?

Hi All,
this'll be one of my first contributory rather than spongeing posts, as I'm not actually asking for any advice!
So, Its been a month since I bought my lovely 06 4.2 SC. What did I learn? -In no particular order:

I love my RR. Driving experience is exactly what I was looking for. It really is in super condition inside and out.
It needs a coat of underseal when the weather gets a bit better and I can jet wash everything.
JLR Dealers are very nice inside. Barista does a good cup of tea, and they replaced my brake hoses FOC. Some of the ladies that work there seemed very chilly. Shocked
The reversing camera can be fixed with a bit of careful soldering and paying attention to youtube videos.
Note to self: after being distracted by another job, DON'T then pick up your soldering iron by the hot end.
Smoked high level brake lights look soooooo much better on a black car. (again, ebay is your friend).
I love my RR.
You can be pleasantly surprised by the fit and finish of a cheap ebay boot liner.
You can add bluetooth music capability to your (awesome) stereo for about £6 off "the bay" with a bluetooth reciever via AUX.
Dealers can procrastinate to the point of distraction. Don't give up.
You can add a further 3 mpg to your car with the correct tyre pressures in it!
On my commute I can get about another 3 mpg by driving it in manual mode (If I can be arsed)..... why does it shift down so early with all that torque to hand?
Download the workshop manuals from the Wiki. If you've got half a brain and a couple of spanners it'll save you a fortune.
I've sprayed all of my boot cubby electronics with motorcycle protectant to avoid the potential condensation issues. If I have nothing to report in that area, you'll know it's worked.....
Did I mention I love my RR?

Thanks again to everyone on here who's offered help/advice and humour. Its been a great help already.

[/list]

Post #518171 12th Jun 2019 12:00pm
roblane65

United Kingdom 

we all love them , even more when they are not being a pain in the ass . so enjoy it while it lasts at some point there will be Big Cry staying on top of things and being preventative sometimes prolongs the enjoyment. Thumbs Up Range rover 4.2 SC 06MY.

Post #518173 12th Jun 2019 12:14pm
Anvil

United Kingdom 
And what else.........?

Check your car for rust. If you have any at all, treat it. Really glad I did before it got a hold.
I've kept the fuel consumption meters running. Meter 1 gets reset for specific journeys. I'm getting an average of nearly 18 miles to the gallon since I've had it.
Set my cruise control to 70 on a trip from london to Dorset and it returned 23.4 mpg. Not tooooo bad considering!
Everything still works! -Errrr.... Jinx?
She doesn't use any oil so far.
I've got swollen nuts. (Wheelnuts of course). New set on order. The wheelbrace won't fit. I'm going to soak them in oil before I fit them.
Everyone thinks I've had a pay rise. (But I haven't!) Its a hell of a lot of car for the money!
Everyone loves the way it drives and how surprisingly fast and agile it is! (For a mobile aircraft hangar.)
I drove a 5.0 back to back with a good friend of mine. Suffice to say, I'm not at all disappointed in my 4.2. In some ways, I felt mine was actually better. the 5.0 did have the edge on performance -mainly at the higher, more illegal speeds though. Off the mark and below (errrr.....) 100 mph on a closed circuit (of course!), there wasn't much in it at all.
Heated seats are great for a bad back.
My daughter said there's a Huge lump of bird Poo on the roof as she stands with her head out the sunroof. I must get round to cleaning that........
I love my RR!
Happy motoring All!

Post #522173 19th Jul 2019 12:38pm
Robert

France 2007 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Zambezi Silver

enjoy it, they are great cars! Thumbs Up

Post #522181 19th Jul 2019 1:19pm
ianmacd

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Epsom Green

Glad you are happy with it. Current: RR L322 2010
Past: RR L405 2017, RR L322 2012, 2008 & 2004, 2018 D5, 2016 Defender, 2011 D4, a few Disco2s, P38, RR Classic, couple of Disco1's, SIII SWB

Post #522186 19th Jul 2019 2:22pm
TeeMyob

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Westminster TDV8 Zermatt Silver
Re: And what else.........?

Anvil wrote:
Check your car for rust. If you have any at all, treat it. Really glad I did before it got a hold.
I've kept the fuel consumption meters running. Meter 1 gets reset for specific journeys. I'm getting an average of nearly 18 miles to the gallon since I've had it.
Set my cruise control to 70 on a trip from london to Dorset and it returned 23.4 mpg. Not tooooo bad considering!
Everything still works! -Errrr.... Jinx?
She doesn't use any oil so far.
I've got swollen nuts. (Wheelnuts of course). New set on order. The wheelbrace won't fit. I'm going to soak them in oil before I fit them.
Everyone thinks I've had a pay rise. (But I haven't!) Its a hell of a lot of car for the money!
Everyone loves the way it drives and how surprisingly fast and agile it is! (For a mobile aircraft hangar.)
I drove a 5.0 back to back with a good friend of mine. Suffice to say, I'm not at all disappointed in my 4.2. In some ways, I felt mine was actually better. the 5.0 did have the edge on performance -mainly at the higher, more illegal speeds though. Off the mark and below (errrr.....) 100 mph on a closed circuit (of course!), there wasn't much in it at all.
Heated seats are great for a bad back.
My daughter said there's a Huge lump of bird Poo on the roof as she stands with her head out the sunroof. I must get round to cleaning that........
I love my RR!
Happy motoring All!

May I ask how you treated the rust please?

Post #522241 20th Jul 2019 9:25am
Anvil

United Kingdom 

Hiya. I posted another post in tech. Bare metal rub down. Rust eating primer, then tough paint. And underseal over the top. All products by finnegan’s. no 1. Smoothrite then underseal also pumped holes and creases with waxoyl. Hope that helps.

Post #522346 20th Jul 2019 10:00pm
TeeMyob

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Westminster TDV8 Zermatt Silver

Yes, thanks

Post #522378 21st Jul 2019 11:24am
Chapeau! Velo

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Tonga Green

Anvil wrote:
Hiya. I posted another post in tech. Bare metal rub down. Rust eating primer, then tough paint. And underseal over the top. All products by finnegan’s. no 1. Smoothrite then underseal also pumped holes and creases with waxoyl. Hope that helps.

Really useful, thanks.

Post #522594 23rd Jul 2019 8:50pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1