Home > Technical (L322) > Petrol Guage problem after fuel pump replacement
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Northern lad

England 
Petrol Guage problem after fuel pump replacement

Hi Guys

I had to have a new fuel pump fitted to the car last week, and the petrol gauge is now wrong!, i couldn't find anything in wiki so i looked through the RAVE manual and came across this piece of info (Below) the range counter on the central console screen (miles left in the tank) has also gone mental, the miles counting down way to fast for the actual distance overed, i hope that makes sense, I was really concerned that the engine management system, would want to shut the car down, when the mileage range hit zero! which might have been a bit of fun whilst on the motorway Shocked anyhow I watched closely as the miles counted down, 3.. 2.. 1.. 0.. then ---, no warning bong, no message displayed, she just carried on driving as normal (Phew)

Also when i picked her up i noticed the tickover was high, probably increased by 250-300 rpm, but still under 1000 rpm. i ignored it presuming it was high as she hadn't warmed up yet. the petrol level was low when i took her in, my plan was to put approx. 1/4 tank - £40 the next morning. anyway next morning, started her up, revs were high, and didn't drop when she had warmed up, so a phone call to garage was to be made later on. went to petrol station, chucked £40 no movement on petrol gauge.

just to confuse things even more, the tick over revs have now gone back to normal (in park) however there does seem to be a little flutter in increasing revs, and slight surge forward (increase in speed) when driving really slowly, speed limit here at the caravan site is 10 mph. i know what the rev count should be at a certain speed on the motorway, and that is still spot on.

so i suppose I'm looking for help / advice with two questions 1) any ideas on the rev issues? 2) does anyone know how to 'Reset' the fuel gauge? i of course have absolute confidence in the information i found in RAVE, and it makes perfect sense to me, that the problem with the gauge is a result of the processes described below

FUEL DELIVERY – V8
DESCRIPTION AND OPERATION 19-2-7
Fuel Pump
Should the fuel pump electrical connection need to be disconnected, it is imperative that the ignition should be switched off. If the ignition is on in any position the fuel gauge will memorise its last needle position prior to power down. Once power is restored the gauge will display the last remembered position regardless of the actual level of fuel in the tank. This will result in incorrect fuel gauge readings if the fuel tank has been drained and not filled worth exactly the same quantity of fuel that was removed.

as always, any help greatly appreciated

regards

steve 2003 Vogue 4.4 petrol, silver 126k on clock when I got her

Post #518649 16th Jun 2019 8:48am
nicksaab

2016 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Corris Grey

Was it an oem pump or a something else? I've had a few fitted in my 2004 in the past and I've had problems with the cheap pattern parts where there is no quality control - the float arms on a couple were far longer than the original leading to issues with the guage reading.

Also there are two seperate floats - one on the main pump and one on the pickup pump on the other side (the tank is a saddle tank over the propshaft) - if the pickup isn't connected properly or is faulty or either float is the wrong length then you are going to get problems. If one isnt working or connected then it will drop a lot quicker or read empty when its half full.

Did you replace both sides of the pump or just the main unit?

It sounds like something isn't right with the install or the new unit unfortunately. Current Fleet:-
2018 Discovery 5 3.0 HSE
2021 Ford Ranger Wildtrack
2019 Ford Mustang Bullitt 5.0 V8
1993 Defender 90 200TDI Pickup

Gone - not forgotten
2016 L405 4.4 SDV8 Vogue SE
2012 L322 4.4 Westminster
2004 L322 4.4 V8 Autobiography LE
2000 P38 RR 4.0 HSE (ex Clarkson test car)

Post #518658 16th Jun 2019 11:24am
Bushy30

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Galway Green

There are known issues with the connectors on the wiring in the fuel tank

Up to 4 connectors are present, anyone going faulty produces really odd results, is a relatively easy fix to cut them out and solder wires together Current: 2011 FFRR Vogue SE 4.4 TDV8
Previous: -
2004 FFRR Vogue 4.4 V8 with LPG
1997 P38 4.0 SE with LPG
1997 P38 4.6 Vogue with LPG

Post #518660 16th Jun 2019 11:35am
Northern lad

England 

thanks chaps
the garage told me its a main dealer part (OEM) and only the main pump was changed, i'm wondering now whether they have damaged the ECU or something, because now I have an amber engine warning light on the dash, however no message, I didn't hear any bong (but I was out of the car for about 10 mins whilst it was ticking over and SWMBO said she heard nothing, the car drove absolutely fine, no reduced power etc?
would a disconnect of the battery do anything to help? 2003 Vogue 4.4 petrol, silver 126k on clock when I got her

Post #518709 17th Jun 2019 4:40am
nicksaab

2016 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Corris Grey

The wiring issues on the connections is for the newer diesel models, and doesn't apply to the 4.4 Petrol.

If they have only changed the pump then its likely, given the symptons you have that they have either damaged the float sender unit on the side of the pump housing (it clips into place), dislodged one of the sender wires (they are tiny and have a very small solder joint on the side of the pump housing (can be disturbed when you have to 'break' the pump housing open to get the pump out or they haven't reconnected the secondary sender/pump unit properly to the main pump.

A good test is to use the dashboard service menu system (if your pixels are ok) and see what both sender units are sending back - if one is sending zero then you know its sender related. there are details of the instrument cluster test in the wiki here
https://www.fullfatrr.com/wiki/Secret_Codes (option 6) Current Fleet:-
2018 Discovery 5 3.0 HSE
2021 Ford Ranger Wildtrack
2019 Ford Mustang Bullitt 5.0 V8
1993 Defender 90 200TDI Pickup

Gone - not forgotten
2016 L405 4.4 SDV8 Vogue SE
2012 L322 4.4 Westminster
2004 L322 4.4 V8 Autobiography LE
2000 P38 RR 4.0 HSE (ex Clarkson test car)

Post #518794 17th Jun 2019 6:14pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1