Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > General (L405) > Am I particularly unlucky?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Print this entire topic · 
Brunel

United Kingdom 2017 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Aruba
Am I particularly unlucky?

Following on from my short-lived experience with my Lookers-sourced SDV8 AB (https://www.fullfatrr.com/forum/topic51658.html) I collected my 2015 (2016 MY) replacement yesterday from Guy Salmon, Stratford. Customer service was markedly better. The car allegedly had a 48month/64k Service last week (although the details hadn’t yet found their way onto the online service history). 1/2 way home I got the following delightful messages:

Now, the plus side is that, being a 2016 MY it had adblu and is therefore cheaper to tax etc. I added a 10 litre bottle of the stuff when I got home.

Spoke to LR Assist who told me I didn’t have warranty cover (despite the dealer having apparently registered vehicle and giving me a certificate confirming cover) and that it might be a ‘known software error that needs updating ‘. Told it was ok to drive, ‘til I run out of my 500 or so miles.

So, I’ll have to waste more time to/from Guy Salmon Bristol to get these things sorted.

I don’t think I have unreasonable expectations of a 4 year old dealer-approved used vehicle so this Censored me off considerably.

Stuart
Ps thought about running a ‘guess the warning message’ competition!

Post #518656 16th Jun 2019 10:23am
chugga90

United Kingdom 

Much like most JLR dealers, Guy Salmon are utter crooks and have no morals.
They have your money, they have not prepared your vehicle fully and will now abuse the warranty to get it done.

You are now left with the decision to keep chipping away from now until you get fed up with it getting it fixed or reject it now and hopefully third time lucky!

With hindsight with regards to this group, I would reject and save the stress.

Good luck either way.

Post #518657 16th Jun 2019 10:30am
Dolphinboy

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Atacama Sand

Reject. These faults will only keep appearing despite the dealer saying they have “fixed” them.

Guy salmon Bristol wanted to charge me over £1000 for a new ABS unit after I got the traffic light array of warning lights. It turns out that during the 45 minute duration of their “inspection” they hadn’t even taken the ABS connector off to examine it (nor allow me to observe their inspection in person Twisted Evil )

Turned out it was a speck of corrosion on ONE pin in the ABS plug which I found in 5 mins. Told the DP that they would never see any of my 3 rangies ever again.

Far better to look on here and buy from a forum member. This is how I have had over 10 years of pleasurable FFRR driving and will be doing the same for my Next one, a L405. Thumbs Up

Post #518672 16th Jun 2019 6:34pm
Fleagle_UK

United Kingdom 2014 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Luxor

not helpful to your problem, but just to empathise - I have had countless arguments with Guy Salmon Knutsford over the years (despite having 3 cars from them)- standup argument with service desk 18 months ago last was the final straw. - the dealer principal or exec manager or whatever they call themselves these days was completely uninterested.

Never will they get a penny from me again. Sadly I'm not naive enough to think they care - too many premiership footballers and their wives live close by. Laughing

Post #518684 16th Jun 2019 8:14pm
Gibby

2013 Range Rover SE 4.4 V8 Causeway Grey

Guy Salmon, Bristol, scumbags!

I took my RR Sport to them with a rear squeak, I knew it was the bushes that needed changing. They quoted £4K because you couldn’t buy just the bushes and I’d have to buy a whole new ARC bar.

Gibby

Post #518693 16th Jun 2019 9:05pm
Brunel

This is all sounding a bit conspiracy theory-like. Surely there must be some dealerships that are trustworthy?

Post #518698 16th Jun 2019 9:26pm
chugga90

United Kingdom 

Rare as hens teeth.

Not sure if they still are, but had very good service from the dealer at Lewes, we’re called Caffyns. Think Harwoods took them over.

The previous garage you used when independent as Chipperfields, were spoken highly of. Lookers ballsed this up.

Continuing the Lookers theme, Amersham damaged by vehicle, took two attempts to get repair done to a better standard and called me a liar during the period.

Guy Salmon Thames Ditton, sold me the last vehicle. This was the one which ended my future with LR products.
They also damaged it whilst in there care for five weeks not fixing much.

Also got a parking ticket whilst delivering their parts to their customers, used it to collect lunch, used it personally as they left their fag packet in it. I do not smoke.

So if you do find a good one, shoot them before they turn bad.

So unless you have a lot of time and patience, run away once you have returned it and got your money back.

Post #518699 16th Jun 2019 9:40pm
Dolphinboy

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Atacama Sand

Matford in exeter have a good reputation for honesty, fairness and willing to help. I haven’t used them personally but I heave heard good things from other who have.

Post #518702 16th Jun 2019 10:41pm
Rwc13

England 2017 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

I can thoroughly recommend Ribblesdale Land Rover - and it’s a rather lovely drive to get there - my replacement L405 was perfectly prepared and hasn’t missed a beat since. This was after terrible 6 months with my Guy Salmon Knutsford supplied previous L405. To be fair the CR manager and service supervisor tried their best, but just were not supported by the wider dealership team. I tried to speak to the DP on several occasions, but he/she didn’t seem to want to meet me! Send some very honest feedback through the LR process.......still no response from anybody.

Post #518710 17th Jun 2019 6:38am
Fleagle_UK

United Kingdom 2014 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Luxor

The DP at most dealerships think they live in an ivory tower and getting to speak to them is nigh on impossible. Imagine the cheek of us mere mortals errrrrrmmm customers daring to darken the door step of their empire.

I too have sent scathing comments to LR regarding guy salmon at Knustford. No one from LR nor guy salmon bothered to comment. I even mailed the Guy Salmon national customer services director - knowing full well he would ignore me which of course he did.

LR are in a lot of difficulty at the moment and soon it will filter to the franchises if not already. Only when their pocket starts to hurt will they listen to customers and start to get their act together.....but I won't hold my breath.

Post #518734 17th Jun 2019 11:43am
GraemeC

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Zermatt Silver

I also had a very poor experience with Guy Salmon in Knutsford

LR's customer service is terrible and a big factor in choosing Mercedes and BMW for my last two vehicles.... 2007 Zermatt Silver TDV8 Vogue SE - now sold but was a great car!

Post #518746 17th Jun 2019 12:54pm
Brunel

Supplying dealer spoke to me this am. Apologised re the adblu - should apparently have been checked as part of the PDI. Service was done. No idea why showing up as due in 1850 miles nor why not online. Subsequently updated online. Said give him a couple of weeks and some goodwill stuff will be sent to me (he mentioned a couple of hundred £ in M&S vouchers)

Amber engine warning light still illuminated but the adblu ones disappeared a day after me filling it up. Was told it’s fine to drive and to get the light reset next time I’m at my local Guy Salmon

Hmmm

Stuart

Last edited by Brunel on 17th Jun 2019 9:30pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #518779 17th Jun 2019 4:12pm
Brunel

On the plus side, I needed a full size spare and have just picked up a set of the same 4 x 21” alloys with nearly new (1,000 mile) tyres for £800 from eBay

Post #518786 17th Jun 2019 5:18pm
Bigfella70

United Kingdom 2016 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Santorini Black

Hope that this is the last of the issue and that you can thoroughly enjoy your Range Rover.

Really poor that the dealer has failed to correctly PDI the car although I suppose we do come to half expect these things nowadays, not only with the motor trade but with other trades and suppliers.

Is there any means to verify that the car has actually been serviced? I know it's difficult just looking under the bonnet. In terms of the service due warning I'm wondering if they have failed to update both the car and online system which has resulted in the warning flashing up and inaccurate online records.

All the best and hope there are no further issues. Current
2016 MY L405 SDV8
2018 VW Golf GT EVO
Previous
2002 L322 TD6
2004 Mercedes R230 SL350
1994 993 Carrera
Range Rover P38 x3
Range Rover 3.9 EFI

Post #518787 17th Jun 2019 5:18pm
Brunel

Thank you. Yes, I was thinking the same verifying the service having been done. It’s sad that the dealership reputation generally is so poor that one even asks these things - I can understand re non franchises garages but not LR main dealers. As others have commented, maybe the market will force an emphasis on customer service once the products no longer sell themselves quite as easily

Post #518790 17th Jun 2019 5:38pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>