Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Orders (L405) > Handover experiences?
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Emperor Mong

United Kingdom 2019 Range Rover Autobiography 2.0 PHEV Loire Blue
Handover experiences?

I took delivery of my brand new Rangie yesterday.

It seemed like an object lesson in how NOT to do it:

* Car parked outside the dealership
* Looked her over in the drizzle
* Tossed the keys in a jumble
* Perfunctory 10 min familiarisation with a sales chap who was anxious to go home (5:50pm on a Friday) and was his last ever day (not surprised)
* The car (a PHEV) had exactly zero charge
* A couple of loose screws in the door bins
* No bunch of flowers for the wife, no bottle of champagne for me either, no branded merchandise - just two nasty dealership key rings (already removed).
* The airbag warning light came on on the way home

When I bought my daughter's Ford Fiesta, they made more of a song-and-dance.

I then happened to see a BookFace post from someone who took delivery of an SVO specced Rangie on the same day direct from the factory. Lunch for him and his wife, a laser light show reveal of the car on the turntable set to thumping music.

I realise it is a bit 'first world problem' but, when parting with a six-figure sum, it might be nice to be treated like a valued customer - and have the option to turn down the song-and-dance if you just wanted to drive it off the forecourt.

How do other dealers do it? A bit more of a special event, or "Here are the keys, the car's over there, have a great day"?

Post #514231 4th May 2019 3:10pm
jim4244

England 2005 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Zambezi Silver

😱

What dealership did you use Mong?

Jim

Post #514233 4th May 2019 3:25pm
Emperor Mong

I'm not sure about the rules on naming and shaming on here.

Let's just say that they are in a well-known university town beginning with 'C' and their name might suggest a motorsport official.

Post #514236 4th May 2019 3:29pm
socialrover

United Kingdom 

Well Im sure they will not be getting your repeat business Emperor . Sod em ...take your hard earned money somewhere else next time .

The old saying of salespersons not wanting anything to do with the customer when the money hits the account is unfortunately borne out to be true time after time .

SR

Post #514240 4th May 2019 3:35pm
CS

Scotland 2017 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Corris Grey

The factory handover costs about £1250, some on here have said it was good value, but a bit much for a canny Scot, leaving aside the distance to travel.

Lloyd LR in Kelso were better than what you describe. At one time there was a separate room beside the showroom in which the car to be handed over was parked, and there was only room for one car, so exclusive use of that area. The showroom has recently been rebuilt (very smart) and I'm not sure if that area survived, The handover was fuller, with screen settings etc done by the salesman after I was shown all the different possibilities. Being familiar with RRs I didn't need too much more, but I'm sure more would have been explained to a new owner.

In the past (2004) there was a present, but that does not seem to happen now, and I don't need it, after all it has to be paid for somehow. I did get a voucher for the LR Experience off road driving, half day, which was enjoyable albeit the course is set up to show what the car can do, rather than what it cannot, so one does not learn as much as one possibly might. The tank was full of petrol. On the way home i tried a phone call and found I could not get the phone to work, I called the salesman and he gave me some more advice which solved the problem (I'm not technical at all).

One thing I didn't like so much was the last time was that I had to do a bank transfer in advance, rather than pay by debit card on collection, which I had done the previous time. That was a hassle for me as I don't do online banking and the extra cost to me was about ten times what they will have saved in card charges. Since the initial handover I have been contacted a couple of times to ask if I wanted to come in and have a further 'handover', presumably to explain functions not yet used/understood. I have not taken that up, but nice to have the offer.

I'm happy with my experience there. Only Range Rovers since 1988

Post #514254 4th May 2019 5:00pm
Rosco

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Baltic Blue

I believe, and it's just my opinion that customer service from all walks of life has deteriorated over the last 20 years, my life has been in sales and I was taught early on that Customer Satisfaction is number 1. Sadly this seems to have been lost by a number of companies and in particular JLR, profit is now number 1, sad but true Thumbs Up

Post #514255 4th May 2019 5:08pm
Highroller

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Vogue SE 4.4 V8 Java Black

That's absolutely disgusting service, This is Not a Kia picanto etc your purchasing. The vehicle should have been left inside for you to inspect & perfect in every way.

The Salesman should have familiarized your with the car properly, prior to driving away.

Had much better service from other dealership when we've purchased new vehicles.

I would look forward to the customer survey Thumbs Up

Post #514256 4th May 2019 5:14pm
jim4244

England 2005 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Zambezi Silver

Hi Ming

I have used their Bedford branch in the past and they are bloody awful!

It amazes me how some LR dealerships actually manage to sell cars?

Jim

Post #514257 4th May 2019 5:16pm
Vogue

United Kingdom 

Never had as bad a handover as that - usually get flowers, full tank fuel and a couple of branded golf brollys - last one I also got a nice branded leatherette file to keep the vehicle documents in.

I always tip the salesman at handover if he is pleasant and makes the effort to make sure I am happy with everything - any shoddy service and I tell them they have missed out on substantial tip, and walk away without any further communication with them. The customer satisfaction survey is also a delightful time to enlighten them.

Probably the worst customer experience unbelievably involved what looked like a transgender salesperson - and I’m still not quite sure if he was male or female, minced around the showroom showing more arse and wearing more makeup than a slutty drag act in Canal Street - was rude and bordering on obnoxious regarding a potential purchase and couldn’t even be bothered to follow up the enquiry. I went elsewhere and bought exactly the same vehicle from another main agent in the area. Other friends have also commented that he/it was more concerned with correcting his eye liner and his metallic powder blue Evoque than progressing a sale with them.

Any of he/it’s colleagues reading this will know exactly who he is. 2021 L405 Vogue SE 4.4 V8 DIESEL ~ #17

Post #514258 4th May 2019 5:24pm
Cam-Tech-Craig

England 2015 Range Rover SVAutobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

I know my approved used car was not anywhere near your new car cost (but for me it was significant!) Stafford LR hardly gave me any hand over and i certainly wasn't made to feel special nor valued in any way! Somewhat tainted the whole experience...

VERY DISAPPOINTING JLR!!!

Post #514259 4th May 2019 5:34pm
Cam-Tech-Craig

England 2015 Range Rover SVAutobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

I know my approved used car was not anywhere near your new car cost (but for me it was significant!) Stafford LR hardly gave me any hand over and i certainly wasn't made to feel special nor valued in any way! Somewhat tainted the whole experience...

Post #514260 4th May 2019 5:34pm
Alistair

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Santorini Black

Never bought a new one - bur used experiences vary -

Marshalls (Peterborough) - not great for me either

Hunters (Norwich) - arrived to collect & the car wa sin the workshop - problem with the FBH but it was now too warm for them too figure out if they fixed it - after an extended wait, we agreed that if it wasn't;t fixed, I would take it to my local dealer & they would pick up the tab

Matfords (Exeter) - excellent - car ready, clean & in prime spot - shown around it etc - they even insisted in filling the arm rest fridge with drinks for my journey home.

Post #514261 4th May 2019 5:57pm
Rosco

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Baltic Blue

Craig, SO bad you had to say it twice... Rolling with laughter

Post #514262 4th May 2019 5:57pm
Chalky

United Kingdom 

I've heard very good things about Matfords and might go to them for my next car.

As for my dealer, started well in 2012 with a bunch of flowers for my wife etc then the next time the car was "unveiled" with a framed picture of the car. This time, absolutely nothing, salesman had left (sacked?). Had a cup of coffee and the "handover executive" went over the car with me but he has since left too. Had a set of hub caps from JLR when I ordered the car and that's it.

I am on the JLR Advisory Board panel and I have just completed a questionnaire re dealer service and handovers, so I have made my point! JLR are now talking about personalised key fobs (leather, colour coded, signed etc) but guess what......you have to pay for it!!

No prizes for what I said. Thumbs Up All LR cars from 1984
2021.5 Vogue SE D300 Carpathian Grey
2018 Vogue SE British Racing Green GONE

Post #514263 4th May 2019 6:09pm
Emperor Mong

CS wrote:
The factory handover costs about £1250, some on here have said it was good value, but a bit much for a canny Scot, leaving aside the distance to travel.

I did see that cost and decided to pass - struggle to see the value.

CS wrote:
Lloyd LR in Kelso were better than what you describe. At one time there was a separate room beside the showroom in which the car to be handed over was parked, and there was only room for one car, so exclusive use of that area.

There is an area like that in their showroom. I clocked it the day before. They didn't use it.

Vogue wrote:

Never had as bad a handover as that - usually get flowers, full tank fuel and a couple of branded golf brollys - last one I also got a nice branded leatherette file to keep the vehicle documents in.

To be fair, the tank was full. Just the battery wasn't charged. They had plenty of opportunity.

The car had sat on their forecourt for a few weeks because they failed to get all the bits for the deployable side steps. When I turned up the day before handover to sign the final papers, they still hadn't fitted them. The transaction manager told me it was in the workshop being fitted at that moment (I could see the car in the car park - it didn't have the steps fitted)

Vogue wrote:

The customer satisfaction survey is also a delightful time to enlighten them.

I'm looking forward to this one - not sure I'll get one though.

jim4244 wrote:

I have used their Bedford branch in the past and they are bloody awful!

It amazes me how some LR dealerships actually manage to sell cars?

They have been dreadful from start to finish. Never buying a car from them again. I gave them a chance because they are my nearest dealer in the country.

Cam-Tech-Craig wrote:

It is amazing how dealer throw away the opportunity to make their customers feel special. It takes very little effort. I bought a second-hand car about 100 miles away once. Good service on the phone. Agreed a deal. Drove up there and they sorted out a few things. Then, once I'd signed on the bottom line, threw me the keys and was utterly uninterested in showing me the features of the car - I had to work it out myself.

So easy to change a customer into a repeat customer and an evangelist.

So easy to turn them into a critic who will tell others never to go there.

Post #514264 4th May 2019 6:13pm
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>