Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Off Topic - Other Cars > Scan Tools
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
evotime

Scotland 
Scan Tools

Looking at getting a more up-to-date / multi functional Scan tool. Done loads of research an final List below.

Anyone use a multi function Bi directionally tool? I would like to hear your thoughts please

Launch X432 CRP919X is my choice (I think)
OTOFIX DI
Topdon Artidiag Pro
XTool IP819

I looked at loads of others but the above ended up being my short list.

I have the RR and a sprinter Van, then another 8 cars in the family I look after of various ages and manufacturers. SDV8

Post #665564 31st May 2023 3:15pm
baz000000

England 2016 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

I have had a Launch CRP 123 diagnostic for a few years now which is a budget decent tool and cost at the time of purchase around the £115 mark. The things I like about Launch is the access to free updates online, though their software interface is a bit Chinglish so can take a bit of working out and around but once you have your unit registered using the product serial number then it is fairly easy to select the updates you want to download and then upload onto the unit itself. Using the reader is pretty straightforward and there are good live data stream available. This unit is restricted to the mechanical side of things, engine and gearbox predominantly so I bought a second unit with more functionality.

As a more options tool I bought a iCarsoft CR Pro unit for around the £225 mark. This included additional options not available on the Launch unit that I owned. Things including ABS, steering geometry, battery coding, DPF regen, a/c data and on. I find the menu a little harder to navigate than with the launch and often come out of diagnostics when I am back tracking having headed down the wrong option line. The benefits over the older Launch model that I own is that it is Anderoid based and icon driven, it updates over the wi-fi network and it can do a lot more things.

I don't tend to use the Launch these days unless it is on someone else's car and that is only because its the smaller unit of the two so easier to travel with. What that should tell you is spend to your max to gain the best update options and most functionality so that you won't feel the need to upgrade to a better spec product at a some point in the not too distant future.

Post #665604 1st Jun 2023 7:58am
Alistair

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Santorini Black

There's a thread here

I just bought the one that Kot recommended, an Autel AP200 and it's done what I needed - that was to read the codes (& clear them)

For the money, I'm happy with it, but I only have 1 car. You get 1 manufacturer for free, then need to purchase additional ones at $22. That's manufacturers, not specific models.

I've previously had an IID, which is a great piece of kit if you need to do more, like changing the CCF settings.

Post #665609 1st Jun 2023 8:42am
evotime

Scotland 

thanks Lads,

I have the AP200 very very good tool but @£20 a year per car its getting expensive and I find doing more in-depth tasks the menu is difficult to follow on the phone.

I did look at the icarsoft pro but not enough functionality for what I need.

My budget is around £600, don't want to go mad. The Launch is around £450 and seems to tick all the boxes. Topdon looks very good but I see some reviews where it says it will do something wherein fact it wont when tried.

I contacted Xtool and they say it wont do my sprinter, although I see guys on youtube with the sprinter option in the menu Confused

Launch has been on the go for years, good safe bet I think SDV8

Post #665612 1st Jun 2023 9:49am
baz000000

Launch is a very good option, just brush up on your Chinglish.

Post #665618 1st Jun 2023 11:47am
Kot

United Kingdom 

evotime wrote:
thanks Lads,

I have the AP200 very very good tool but @£20 a year per car its getting expensive and I find doing more in-depth tasks the menu is difficult to follow on the phone.

£20 per year per car Rolling with laughter
Its free for life for your 1st manufacturer ie Landrover (every model free) only then do you pay for each other manufacturer, so if its Ford, its every Ford make for that £20 etc etc 2018 SE SDV8 4.4 Byron Blue

Post #665623 1st Jun 2023 12:26pm
evotime

Scotland 

That's constructive Rolling Eyes

I know what it does, I have one. Why would I pay £20 a year for every new manufacturer I need to add when I can pay around £400 and do just about everything with way more functionality. The AP is great but does not meet my needs simple as as.

If you have 1 or 2 cars I see the appeal but I don't, I look after many. Make perfect sense to me. SDV8

Post #665628 1st Jun 2023 1:22pm
evotime

Scotland 

Chinglish Laughing SDV8

Post #665631 1st Jun 2023 1:32pm
Alistair

Having just bought one & starting to worry, I checked the Autel Website

Autel website wrote:
Only The Free Vehicle Software Is Lifetime Free Update Online, Other Purchased Vehicle Softwares Are Only Valid for One Year. After one year, you need to buy them again

As I only have 1 car right now, I'm relieved, but can see how it could get expensive.

Actually - it may be better to buy multiple AP200's - they are £49 and include 1 manufacturer, so the break even is year 3 Smile

Post #665638 1st Jun 2023 3:07pm
evotime

Scotland 

I think though once you start adding in App purchases its not economical as they will run out year as well I presume. Injector coding and the like.

On saying that I do find it very handy and it will prob stay in the van as that's the free vehicle. SDV8

Post #665653 1st Jun 2023 5:04pm
Alistair

You're probably right, I haven't tried anything like that. Mine arrived today - I've only read and cleared my codes

Post #665662 1st Jun 2023 6:40pm
evotime

Scotland 

You will be impressed with all its options. Good bit of kit Thumbs Up SDV8

Post #665707 2nd Jun 2023 10:17am
evotime

Scotland 

Why is nothing ever easy. I want to make sure I don't end up with Clone tool I have enough of them already.

So, Launch UK only sells a fraction of the Launch tool options. I contacted them and I need to buy from China and as such all the support / warrant would have to go back through china as Launch UK wont touch it.

A Launch dealer that wont support Launch products seems a bit weird and short sighted.

China it is then. SDV8

Post #665715 2nd Jun 2023 11:40am
baz000000

You can buy it from Launch, at a premium, from Amazon UK so you could charge to a UK credit card and have credit protection plus Amazon support.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/LAUNCH-Diagnostic...B0BB6SY5FV

Post #666069 7th Jun 2023 8:40am
evotime

Scotland 

It arrived today. Bought off eBay. Genuine tool by the looks of up. Did 67 updates. Updates expire in 2 years according to the tool. Even got a free TPMS reset tool

Click image to enlarge
 SDV8

Post #666094 7th Jun 2023 10:39am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1