Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > General (L405) > 405 reliability
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Bronco

United Kingdom 
405 reliability

Ok so leading on from my buyers guide thread. In all seriousness, has anyone had a trouble free ownership or have everyone had issues with these things?
They look amazing on the road but I definitely don’t want to buy a headache. All I can find on the web is horror stories and poor LR customer service.
So far I’m having second thoughts..!

Post #525125 17th Aug 2019 11:57am
Alistair

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Santorini Black

Tempting fate - I’m closing in on 100k miles - no major issues and one minor niggle that I cant be bothered to fix - my lower tail gate doesn’t power close so I have to push it.

Post #525126 17th Aug 2019 12:09pm
lucky

United Kingdom 2015 Range Rover Vogue TDV6 Santorini Black

bought mine new nearly 5 years ago, 50k miles so far, needed a new switch for the compressor which including fitting cost about 120 quid. otherwise trouble free motoring.

Post #525127 17th Aug 2019 12:19pm
pld118

Scotland 2014 Range Rover Vogue SDV6 Santorini Black

Not sure many cars guarantees trouble free ownership.

The "main issues" with these cars often seem to be poor main dealership service and fobbing off those difficult to diagnose foibles a la "they all do that sir/ madam" (not always, although not uncommon).

Ours has been/ is fantastic. The odd issue, nothing major and usually things I've been picky about in an effort to keep on top of the car. It's 3.0 TDv6. Can't fault it. A treat to drive, very capable and the L405 looks great inside and out.

Thumbs Up

Post #525133 17th Aug 2019 2:29pm
MJGH

United Kingdom 2017 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Aintree Green

Bought mine 2nd hand a year ago.
Read the horror stories on line before purchase and nearly gave it a swerve.
So far the car has been absolutely faultless. Very Happy
The LR dealer I bought the car from (2 x miles away) so impressed me I now use one 30 x miles away. Sad

Post #525135 17th Aug 2019 2:43pm
Triarii

United Kingdom 2017 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Corris Grey

Had ours for two years and faultless. 17 MY Corris Grey 4.4 VAB
Silver MB R231 SL350

Post #525163 17th Aug 2019 7:03pm
roberlar

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Santorini Black

Bought mine used just over a year ago, had a few issues which are now sorted:

After a few months the drivers door began to catch the bonnet with a cracking sound in warm weather. Probably micro expansion of metal and sorted by simple adjustment of a small bolt which regulates the gap between bonnet and door. No problems since.

Oil level apparently overfilled on three occasions within seven months, drained half a litre first occasion, oil level ok, changed oil and filter second occasion oil level ok, drained half a litre third occasion oil level ok and no issues since, which was quite some time ago with similar journeys and driving habits. Not sure what might have caused this and a manual dipstick would be really useful.

Used to get the occasional whiff of burnt engine oil on an incline when warm, this disappeared some time ago so might have been the result of a messy oil filter change at the last main dealer service?

Mysterious crack at top of windscreen behind rear view mirror within days of buying the car. No evidence of impact point. Replaced and fine since.

Headlights far worse than my previous L322. Replaced with Osram Nightbreakers which are significantly brighter.

Slightly smelly aircon on startup. Filter had been replaced on last service. Sorted with a Meguiars air con bomb. So in my case, it's really been a combination of relatively minor build and servicing issues. The only thing that still bugs me is 'low battery, please start engine'. The engine turns over rapidly and starts very well, which is fine, but back in the cold weather the FBH wouldn't always run it's course for this reason.

So in a nutshell, having sorted these issues, owning and driving the L405 is a great experience if you keep on top of maintenance, or catch up on things the previous owner might have neglected and address things accordingly

Post #525166 17th Aug 2019 7:13pm
Gazm007

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Havana

Alistair wrote:
Tempting fate - I’m closing in on 100k miles - no major issues and one minor niggle that I cant be bothered to fix - my lower tail gate doesn’t power close so I have to push it.
when i purchased mine it wasnt working - the indy dealer who was selling it (who was very good) said he'd fix it. apparently all it needed was part of the mechanics cleaning

Post #525176 17th Aug 2019 8:17pm
Gazm007

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Havana

I Purchased mine 3 months ago with 99,000 miles on the clock. to be honest i haven't driven it much since getting it (had 99,600 on the clock a week ago) but have just come back from a trip to France in it. a 750 mile round trip. the car never missed a beat and was a pleasure to drive. we had a mixture of very heavy rain, wind and sun and it drove 5 of us with a boot full of luggage effortlessness.

Post #525178 17th Aug 2019 8:23pm
Mr Tee

Scotland 

Coming up for a year, faultless so far, throws the odd spaz now an again , think low batteries as ever cause a lot of issues. Stop worrying and get one, oh an warranty is helpful too.

Post #525201 18th Aug 2019 9:21am
CS

Scotland 2017 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Corris Grey

A friend had four years with a 4.4 SDV8 Vogue with the only problem being the speed camera warning on the satnav.

My 2017 MY in about 18 months has had a couple of software updates, the gear selector had to be replaced as it was not emerging and retracting smoothly, and there was an oil leak from the transmission oil cooler pipe connector, all done under warranty. There is a bit of bubbling in the lacquer on one of the rear door handles, but one has to be very fussy to notice. Only Range Rovers since 1988

Post #525226 18th Aug 2019 11:27am
Red Merle

United Kingdom 2017 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Aintree Green
Re: 405 reliability

Bronco wrote:
Ok so leading on from my buyers guide thread. In all seriousness, has anyone had a trouble free ownership or have everyone had issues with these things?
They look amazing on the road but I definitely don’t want to buy a headache. All I can find on the web is horror stories and poor LR customer service.
So far I’m having second thoughts..!

What you're finding is that no one can complain like a Land Rover owner! Laughing

This is my 6th Land Rover, since 2011 and I clock up around 35,000 miles a year now, with my 30th of September '17 car now showing 61,000 miles. All being well, I hope to keep this one for the next 10 years and into properly high mileage.

Have they been perfect? No. I've had two real issues that have kept them off the road during the last 300,000 miles or so but, other than that, they've been as good as anything that I've ever owned before and a lot better than most Thumbs Up Regular software updates, especially on infotainment systems, are a given and LR's fault finding processes were long winded on the two serious issues that I've had but, generally, I wouldn't spend my own money on anything else.

If buying used, maintenance and history are everything and if you go for a diesel, make it the SDV8 Very Happy

Post #525240 18th Aug 2019 12:48pm
Ukandrewf

United Kingdom 2017 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Carpathian Grey

roberlar wrote:

Headlights far worse than my previous L322. Replaced with Osram Nightbreakers which are significantly brighter.

Can u link to what u got. Xeon headlight replacement?

I like the ideal of new mAtrix or pixel headlights.

Post #525254 18th Aug 2019 2:48pm
Brian Considine

United Kingdom 
Re: 405 reliability

[/quote]

What you're finding is that no one can complain like a Land Rover owner! [/quote]

If that's the case then Volkswagen T5 owners come a close second then ! 2003 Range Rover Vogue TD6

Post #525256 18th Aug 2019 2:53pm
Ukandrewf

United Kingdom 2017 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Carpathian Grey

Another question... should there be a service book? There is an online record but I don’t have a service book with my second hand l405.

..Oh and the button on the rear lower tail gate is faulty too. Being replaced on warranty.

Post #525257 18th Aug 2019 2:53pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>