Home > Technical (L322) > Deployable Side Step operation diffs pre & post 2010
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Pawl

England 2007 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Cairns Blue
Deployable Side Step operation diffs pre & post 2010

Can anyone provide any help please ?

There are 2 deployable side step kits available for the L322 - for upto 2010 & post 2010 - with minor differences in the electrical loom & a different ECU.

I've bought a kit S/H that I believed was suitable for my 2007 MY car, but has turned out to be for the later model.
As I'd fitted the actual steps - which are common to upto 2010 & post 2010 & pulled all the relevant bits of trim off for the loom installation, I'd like to see if I can use the electrical components before I go to the hassle of removing it all for return.

The loom differences I can see from the combined installation instructions are minor & I could get around. I've seen the on-line references to the extra white loom connectors some people have found on the later loom on some versions believed to be for the Autobiography version, so I know that shouldn't effect / worry me.
However, there's no obvious way of working out what's different between the early & later ECUs as they look identical & have identical connectors . The post 2010 ECU has even evolved part no. during its lifetime - indicating further internal changes which superceded the earier post 2010 ecu.

Does anyone know if the steps operate any differently between pre 2010 & 2010 onwards ?
I didn't receive the steps operating instructions that some people have referred to on this site - and I can't find a copy of them anywhere on-line

From a massive search of these and other forums via Google, I believe they both appear to work the same :IE
- steps come out if the vehicle is unlocked or a door is opened,
- steps go in if doors are closed or vehicle is locked or vehicle is driven above a certain speed.
On-line there's also various references to the steps not coming out if a Terrain Response program is selected or Low Range is engaged.
The overhead console switch is "only" used to disable the steps operation under certain conditions.
I don't believe any of these functions should have changed across the Model Years, so don't understand why the ECU changed (especially as its actually a Ford designed unit judging by the FoMOCo markings)

As an extra request, has anyone seen an electrical diagram that shows all the wiring colours, connections etc ?
(It would save me the effort of creating 1 to help understand how to make it all work) Paul,
2001 Discovery 2 TD5, 211,000 miles & climbing
2006 FFRR TDV8 Vogue 145,000 miles & climbing
Member of Midland (Land) Rover Owners Club, www.mroc.co.uk

Post #526172 26th Aug 2019 7:01pm
Cam-Tech-Craig

England 2015 Range Rover SVAutobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

Pawl, the functionality differs from pre 09 facelift to post 09 facelift... If you open the door on a pre 09 car, the step will open and close without delay... Post 09 cars keep the step deployed for a number of seconds after you close the door! This i believe was introduced to STOP the motor either overworking or to stop the step from closing half way then reopening when you change your mind a second later... Maybe this was the cause of early step failures??? who knows?

Post #526188 26th Aug 2019 9:11pm
Pawl

Craig,
thanks - that's useful info & would justify why the later ECU would be different.
I think there must be something else different or the later ECU would have superceded the pre 2010 ECU. Paul,

Post #526193 26th Aug 2019 10:19pm
Cam-Tech-Craig

England 2015 Range Rover SVAutobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

I presume the later cars run a different can bus given that they have the digital dash etc? Maybe that might be a reason too?

Post #526197 26th Aug 2019 11:09pm
Pawl

Craig, Yes, I've heard that mentioned, but I'm not sure as I'm running a 2011 Bluetooth Module in our 2007MY car successfully (as recommended in the Wiki).
I don't know enough yet to know if the fibre optic MOST system is part of the the CAN system or even if there are multiple CAN systems on an L322 like many more modern cars.
I have discovered that the the main connectors from the Deployable Steps ECU are connected to the Integrated Head Unit box below the Passenger Compartment Fuse Box & I think the IHU is the main Fibre Optic System controller.
Lots to learn / work out - lol. Paul,

Post #526201 27th Aug 2019 12:03am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1