Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Maintenance & Mods (L322) > Blower motor intermittent, now stopped working, 2007 TDV8
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Mistercorn

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Autobiography 4.4 V8 Java Black
Blower motor intermittent, now stopped working, 2007 TDV8

I have read of issues on the earlier cars with the FSR failing. A few weeks ago the blower motor was not working on my car, then after about an hour and a half it sprung back in to life, now it appears to have stopped altogether. The lights around the dial light up but there is no blow. The rear blower is working.
Is this likely to be an FSR fault or are there other common problems for this? When I had it in for some work recently I asked the garage to check it, they said that the blower was working but there was a fault code for a sticking flap which they cleared. Could that cause these issues?
At least I know why the RR has heated seats, heated steering wheel and a heated screen now. So you can still drive it when the blower packs up!!
Any pointers very much appreciated.

MC

Post #355264 4th Nov 2015 9:02am
Mistercorn

From the stunned silence I guess this isn't a common issue. Does anybody know if an IID tool is likely to help diagnose the issue?

MC

Post #355441 5th Nov 2015 11:45am
Full Fat Ray

Wales 2006 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Bonatti Grey

I had similar issues earlier this year, and bought a new FSR, which I fitted, to no avail, the blower still didn't work Big Cry

I then checked the new FSR resistances pin to pin with a digital multimeter, and found the resistances on the old unit were exactly the same. hence NOT the FSR Big Cry

Haylands kindly sent me the relevant part of the wiring diagram. There are 5 wires on the connector to the FSR. A 12 volt permanent supply, an earth, a 'control' wire and 2 wires going to the blower motor.

Although its a pain to get at, remove the plug from the FSR. Check that you have the 12 v supply (if not, you need to look at fuses), and a good earth. The control wire (can't remember the colour, but it is quite a thin wire) carries a voltage that changes in 1 volt steps from 0 (with no lights on the switch) to 8 volts (if I remember correctly) with all the lights lit. If you get this, then the HVAC ECU is OK and sending the correct info to the FSR, if you don't get this you potentially have a problem with the HVAC ECU.

I next 'jumpered' the 12 v and earth directly on the connector to the motor wires, the motor still didn't run.

Several threads on here describe a 'bodge' method of getting the blower motor out, but I didn't fancy this, and having looked in the workshop manual at the 'proper' way to get it out (don't even think about it!!) I removed the pollen filter housing from the back of the engine, and could get my hand in to spin the fan. It was tight, so sprayed some WD40 into the housing at the ends of the motor (where the bearings are), and bingo, it started and has run OK ever since.

I suggest you try the fault finding on the FSR plug as detailed above, this will hopefully point you in the right direction, you could just try spinning the fan first, and if it is stiff try the WD40 solution.

Unfortunately, i am on shifts at work for the next couple of weeks, but when I get chance I will put a post on here with resistance readings for the FSR, and the wiring colours on the connector.

Hope this may help you.

Best of Luck Thumbs Up Thumbs Up 2006 (56 Reg) 4.4 V8 Vogue In Bonatti Grey (Gorgeous!!)

Post #355715 7th Nov 2015 2:48pm
Mistercorn

Thanks for the detailled reply. I have tried to spin the fan by hand but can't get to it. I have pulled the pollen filter and got my hand in through the small gap bu can't reach any kind of fan. The cover which holds the pollen filter appears to be held on with three bolts which will tequire the engine or at least engine cover to be removed to get at them. Am I doing this right?

MC

Post #355859 8th Nov 2015 3:02pm
Full Fat Ray

Wales 2006 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Bonatti Grey

I have an 06 4.4 V8 Petrol, so I'm afraid I don't know if the layout is different on the Diesel cars. Unfortunately, I am at work and the wife has the full fat today, so I can't take a picture to help you - I will do this in the morning, but I'll try to describe my set up, and you may be able to tell if yours is different.

My pollen filter sits in a large black plastic Housing at the back of the engine. there is a 13 mm nut each side of this housing, and the housing sits under 3 plastic clips at the top. You remove the 2 nuts, and the entire assembly pulls forward and lifts out of the way, you can then get your hand in the vents and feel (even if you can't see) the fan.

Note that you need the ventilation system to NOT be on re-circulate, otherwise flaps close across the vents, and you can't get your hand in.

If I remember correctly, my vents closed automatically when the engine was off, so I think I had the engine running (or at least the ignition switched on) , when they opened with the ventilation system set to pull in fresh air - hope this helps Thumbs Up 2006 (56 Reg) 4.4 V8 Vogue In Bonatti Grey (Gorgeous!!)

Post #355865 8th Nov 2015 4:17pm
Mistercorn

That sounds about the same. I will get the engine cover off and see if I can get at the nuts. Thanks.

MC

Post #355869 8th Nov 2015 4:43pm
bwelton

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Zermatt Silver

I have a similar problem. The Blower Motor is only working intermittently. I have already replaced the FSR and today I followed this thread to get to the blowers via the back of the engine Pollen Flier assembly.

I have the engine running, and can spin the fan blades relatively easily but they do not start with the console fan controls.
I recall when I replaced the FSR from the drivers footwell, I was also able to spin some fan blades down there and it was much stiffer. I’m now wondering if there are multiple fans ?

Any other ideas on what could be causing the intermittent blower motor problem ?
Given they spin easily, I’m thinking that there is perhaps a control problem rather than motor problem.

I was wondering if it could be an earthing problem ? Why ? Well coincidently but not at the same time, my passenger Airbag warning light has also come on as if it has been isolated for a baby seat in the front passenger seat.

-------------------------------------
MY 2012 4.4 TDV8

Post #523760 4th Aug 2019 6:39pm
V8 Bob

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Westminster TDV8 Ipanema Sand

As above think you can eliminate FSR itself, I had a FSR failure earlier this year that left the fans running constantly even with ignition off, car locked etc. Couldn’t find the relevant fuse and ended up with a totally flat battery.

Good luck with your investigation and keep us informed. 2012 tdv8 Westminster arrived Jan 19 gone Dec 23

200 TDi discovery bobtail gone
RR classic v8 bobtail gone
300 tdi Discovery 3 dr gone

Post #523764 4th Aug 2019 8:06pm
Rambles

2011 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Stornoway Grey

I had this problem on my 2011
Hardwoods had fitted a new FSR a few months previously
They checked that, and no problem there
So they reflashed the ECU for the blower motor
All good again

Post #525207 18th Aug 2019 10:15am
bwelton

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Zermatt Silver

Hi there,
So was yours still intermittent before they Re-flashed the ECU ?
Do you happen to know which ECU it was ?

Many thanks
Bob -------------------------------------
MY 2012 4.4 TDV8

Post #525238 18th Aug 2019 12:45pm
Rambles

2011 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Stornoway Grey

Harwoods receipt just says
“Software update to HVAC module” if that helps?

Post #525517 20th Aug 2019 11:37am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1