Home > Technical (L322) > 2003 L322 continuous beeping
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
24valve

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Autobiography Black TDV8 Santorini Black
2003 L322 continuous beeping

Hi all

I've a 2003 L322 v8 with an electrical fault. I've had similar on our same age td6, so thought I could be able to fix it Confused

Its a bit of a strange issue in that there is a continuous beep (similar beep to when lights are on or a parking sensor) when you turn the ignition key off and continues even when you pull the key out and close the doors. This stops when the ignition is on or the engine started.

Alongside this, the dash lights (indicators, warning lights) don't work, nor does manual selection of the gearbox - it does however drive beautifully if you get past the beeping and start it.

To help with diagnosis, I've removed the waterlogged amp (the cause of the similar fault on our TD6) changed the LCM and BCM with known good ones from our TD6 (same part numbers and software levels etc), but none of this has helped.

I've plugged into my hawkeye and I don't get too many faults in all honesty - there was a logged fault with an interior light fuse, but the interior lights work fine and once cleared hasn't come back.

Would I be right in thinking there is an ibus comms link between the AMP - BM54 (and all audio gear) - BCM - LCM and navigation screen - Dash cluster?

If so, would the next logical step be to disconnect the navigation screen and see if that is a cause?

I guess that there could be a problem with the wiring between all of this, but given that it is all wrapped up nicely and hasn't been chopped about, is that unlikely? or is there a specific location on the loom that is prone to chafing/getting damaged?

Any advice greatly welcome.

Many thanks

Neil. 2010 L322 Autobiography Black Edition
1975 Land Rover

Post #525840 22nd Aug 2019 1:14pm
nicksaab

2016 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Corris Grey

There is a buzzer box on the inside of the panel directly above the pedals (where there is a footwell courtesty light). That is likely the source of the noise - disconnect that and see what happens.

Also turn of the parking sensors in case one of those is causing the beep - left hand side lower instrument panel Parking Sensor button. Current Fleet:-
2018 Discovery 5 3.0 HSE
2021 Ford Ranger Wildtrack
2019 Ford Mustang Bullitt 5.0 V8
1993 Defender 90 200TDI Pickup

Gone - not forgotten
2016 L405 4.4 SDV8 Vogue SE
2012 L322 4.4 Westminster
2004 L322 4.4 V8 Autobiography LE
2000 P38 RR 4.0 HSE (ex Clarkson test car)

Last edited by nicksaab on 22nd Aug 2019 2:14pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #525844 22nd Aug 2019 2:13pm
24valve

Unnecessary quote removed

thankyou for the help.

I did just that - sure enough the noise goes away (thank god) but the rest of the faults remain.

Aside from my theories above - I've just been looking at some of SaintV8's threads - one of which was a link to the RSW all comms video about the headlight ECU's causing grief.

could they all be interlinked?

1975 Land Rover

Post #525846 22nd Aug 2019 3:00pm
24valve

To further help eliminate stuff, this morning I have:

pulled connections from the back of the headlights
removed Fuse 49

Neither of which have made any difference.

This is becoming a bit of a head scratcher! 2010 L322 Autobiography Black Edition
1975 Land Rover

Post #525913 23rd Aug 2019 9:59am
nicksaab

2016 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Corris Grey

I suspect your buzzer box/parking sensor noise is unrelated to your other issues and that will be a broken or damaged sensor or wire in the bumpers.

Now I could be wrong (probably am) but I thought the BCM/LCM were vin coded to the car. So is the instrument cluster. So not sure if you can just swap them over - but someone else will advise.
Although there are often interconnected issues I can't see how instument lights and manual gearbox selection could be connected. I'd be inclined to take out the instrument cluster and just check the two connections at the back are well seated and that might just bring your cluster back to life.

Manual gear selection - that has to be something to do with the sensor or linkage in the gearbox. Current Fleet:-
2018 Discovery 5 3.0 HSE
2021 Ford Ranger Wildtrack
2019 Ford Mustang Bullitt 5.0 V8
1993 Defender 90 200TDI Pickup

Gone - not forgotten
2016 L405 4.4 SDV8 Vogue SE
2012 L322 4.4 Westminster
2004 L322 4.4 V8 Autobiography LE
2000 P38 RR 4.0 HSE (ex Clarkson test car)

Post #525927 23rd Aug 2019 1:41pm
24valve

Thanks Nicksaab.

The continuous beeping was definitely coming from the sounder under the dash panel in the drivers footwell - which I've now disconnected, but I suspect it was sounding due to a fault elsewhere, rather than a faulty sounder.

the parking sensors are working fine (different tone anyway).

I've managed to pull the dash apart and checked and reseated the cluster - no change.

I also observed that the car is devoid of the headlamp levelling module located in the passengers a pillar - presumably as another thread says they were removed after a couple of years (mine is build September 2004).

I've also found the car is throwing an ABS ECU error on hawkeye - when I try and clear the faults it says a data link error - I then found SaintV8's thread on the abs ecu loom and looked at mine. there is chaffing on the outer tape of the loom (just where it runs along the wing line and there is green corrosion on one of the wires (I cant tell which wire yet)

having seen that there is a can bus high and low wire that runs through the system with wires yellow and black and yellow and brown respectively, I'm wondering if these knackered wires might be the start/source of the problem. Only one way to find out and that's to unravel the tape and do some continuity tests, I think.

Can anyone advise if I might be on the right path - I'm thinking that if this wiring is at fault, that would bring the whole system down?

Cheers

1975 Land Rover

Post #525937 23rd Aug 2019 4:14pm
24valve

Following from my previous post, I disconnected the battery and took the ABS connector off - all looks clean.

I then unravelled the insulation tape on the loom - all the way back to the damaged area. Indeed the wire that has the green corrosion on it is yellow and brown - so the Canbus low signal.

As a temporary fix, I thought I would cut the wire, strip back the sheath and reconnect with a crimped connector.

Unfortunately, it didn't fix the problem, but my concern (having read loads more on Canbus stuff is that those wires are really picky, and perhaps all the individual strands of wire are not sound enough to make a good connection.

With that in mind, I wonder if just replacing that short loom as per SaintV8's thread would help. At least I would be 100% sure the wires are o.k then.

Does anyone know if there is an easy way to eliminate this wiring from the "circuit" so that I can rule that as being the problem?

Cheers again,

neil. 2010 L322 Autobiography Black Edition
1975 Land Rover

Post #525958 23rd Aug 2019 7:16pm
Joe90

England 

The sounder under the driver's footwell is for the parking sensors, this points to an issue with the parking sensors, their wiring, the ECU... .
Experience is the only genuine knowledge, but as time passes, I have forgotten more than I can remember Wink
Volvo V70 P2 2006 2.4 Petrol 170bhp Estate SE
MG Midget Mk1 1962

Previous: L322 Range Rover TDV8 3.6 2008; L322 Range Rover TD6 3.0 2002; P38A Range Rover V8 1999

Post #525960 23rd Aug 2019 7:56pm
24valve

That's weird then, because I am sure the parking sensors are still working....

I'll double check that.

do the parking sensors have Canbus wiring to it? 2010 L322 Autobiography Black Edition
1975 Land Rover

Post #525961 23rd Aug 2019 8:07pm
24valve

yep - just double checked - parking sensors are working fine. 2010 L322 Autobiography Black Edition
1975 Land Rover

Post #525971 23rd Aug 2019 9:34pm
24valve

The parking sensor beeping mentioned above was playing on my mind (thanks Joe90!)

After a bit of a drive I realised I could hear a faint clicking/clock type sound coming from the rear drivers side, when the ignition was on. I had a hunt around and found the sound was coming from a small speaker mounted upwards right at the back under the side trim. I traced the wires and thought I could see them running into the PDC ECU behind the fuse box but unsure.

For giggles I took all the connections out of the PDC ecu and low and behold everything on the dash came back to life - all the indicators and controls work perfectly.

I noticed bluey/green corrosion on the pins in the centre connector, so took the ecu out and cleaned everything up and replaced - everything still working so all is good. I'm not sure how or why that particular connector got water in it and nothing else (the fuse board looks nice and clean).

...I still have an air suspension fault, but that's separate. 2010 L322 Autobiography Black Edition
1975 Land Rover

Post #526052 25th Aug 2019 9:12am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1