Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > My Range Rover > My dead TDV8 / turbo failure / moving onto a 4.2SC
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 4 1234>
Print this entire topic · 
fanders

United Kingdom 2009 Range Rover Autobiography 4.2 SC V8 Buckingham Blue
My dead TDV8 / turbo failure / moving onto a 4.2SC

Well, sad to report that my TDV8 died on Wednesday due to a turbo failure (whilst on a road test prior to a service at Keith Gott Land Rover in Alton - bad timing but I don't blame them at all). Loads of oil in the left intercooler hose, and white smoke out of the exhaust prior to engine being switched off. I did have a failed upper intercooler hose on the left side which I fixed with a new hose the day before the turbo failed, so maybe the failure is related to running with a leaking hose for a couple of weeks? Or perhaps just a coincidence. £4.5k bill for two new turbochargers, fitted, plus unknown engine collateral damage, quite a few bodywork jobs and it's a fairly easy decision to say Goodnight Vienna for this vehicle.

It's been a great car, 172,000 miles and bought from Adam of this parish at 102,000 so 70,000 miles in the last six years of relatively trouble-free Rangie-ing. Plenty of maintenance mostly at Keith Gott with a few jobs tackled at home in my new garage. It had been remapped by JE Engineering when Adam had it and it certainly pulled strongly but most of the time I drove it fairly sedately.

The highs:

A phenomenal tow car for long European gliding expeditions:

Up the Col du Galibier:

And a fine tool for ferrying my wife's horse around:

By coincidence my wife recently just bought a much larger horse trailer for her much larger horse, so v. bad timing not having a servicable Rangie on duty for towing. Need to fix that pronto - more below.

Even looked just right at a spot of cider making a few years ago:

The lows:

Apart from the bereavement this week of mentally saying goodbye to this particular Rangie, there aren't many lows really. Once you accept they are expensive vehicles to run and maintain, the effortless wafting, fine looks and high driving position bring a smile each time you drive it. I did get stranded once when the rusty brake pipes dumped all the hydraulic fluid, and a second time back from holiday when I came to get it out of the garage to find heavy steering and a pool of fluid on the garage floor (corroded coil cooler, a straightforward DIY fix to replace). It was going a bit rusty, particularly on the rear wheel arches and also all around the perimeter of the bonnet, which I think was probably poor original priming of the aluminium bonnet.

The plan

The replacement for a dead Rangie - another Rangie, of course! Having had a TDV8 for six years I fancy a change, and don't want to spend more than £10k on a replacement, so I've decided to get a 4.2SC L322 with the facelifted interior. There seem to be a few around in my price range. I'm going to break my old TDV8 and rob all the useful stuff for fixing the 4.2SC in the future, and sell the other parts I don't want on eBay before the hull goes off to the scrappie.

So if anyone on the forum has a 4.2SC for sale, please drop me a line on here as a PM to get in touch. I'm also interested in any advice on buying a 4.2SC apart from the usual L322 things to look at. I'm well aware of the 12-15mpg fuel consumption but this new Rangie will mainly be used for towing/snowy weather/swanning around nice hotels and not my daily driver, so it doesn't really matter much.

Salute! fanders

Post #526027 24th Aug 2019 9:37pm
stu1

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Supercharged 4.2 SC V8 Java Black

Good man! Smile You can't have mine, but good luck with the search Thumbs Up

The only things to watch out for really are (outside of the normal L322 things):
1. The supercharger coolant pump either being dead or wired backwards (mine was both) - you'll get reduced engine performance warning under heavy load if so (i.e. towing up a long hill)
2. Rear diff oil change. Change it immediately unless actual documented proof it has been done recently.

Both are pretty cheap (relatively speaking).

Post #526037 24th Aug 2019 11:16pm
stu1

Oh, and #3 - avoid stop start traffic like the plague Smile

Post #526038 24th Aug 2019 11:20pm
fanders

Thanks for the tips stu Thumbs Up

Post #526044 25th Aug 2019 7:29am
V8Noise

United Kingdom 2017 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Carpathian Grey

stu1 wrote:
Oh, and #3 - avoid stop start traffic like the plague Smile

Why?????

And what is the issue with the rear diff oil. 2017 5.0 Autobiography Supercharged
2005 Merc SL350
2005 Disco HSE 2.7 oil burner

Post #526050 25th Aug 2019 8:54am
GGDR

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Stornoway Grey

may I say a superb post fanders (well the good bits anyway).

Your glider looks amazing. As does the RR. R.I.P.
! Thumbs Up Cheers, Greg
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
2011 Vogue SE 4.4 with lots of toys in Stornaway

Post #526054 25th Aug 2019 9:23am
Bill

United Kingdom 

Is there a market for a dead car as parts....? Just wondering if u can get a few bob back like that...

Bill Filters are in fact so good that in certain circumstances, when the ambient air is already polluted, a diesel car will tend to extract more particles from the air than it emits. Emissions Analytics worked with........etc etc

He who dies with the most toys wins...

Post #526270 27th Aug 2019 7:13pm
fanders

Yes, I think so, there are a lot of good parts on my TDV8 which will be worth removing and selling. The interior is mint and everything works. My plan is to slowly break it over a couple of months and remove all the bits I want for the 4.2SC when it comes, and then sell the rest either here on the forum and/or eBay. The first thing to sell will be the seats as a set, they are in great condition apart from the usual driver's side bolster which has a bit of wear.

I'm going to look at a 4.2SC this afternoon, so maybe I won't be without an FF for too long.

Salute! fanders

Post #526307 28th Aug 2019 7:34am
fanders

My new SC

Picked up my new 4.2SC today from a great small dealer in Nottingham - it's a 2009MY 58-plate 4.2SC Autobiography in Buckingham Blue with a Parchment leather interior. One owner from new, 85,000 miles with a FSH and most importantly, no significant rust! It's in lovely condition, just a few minor faults which will be rectified shortly:

- Oil leak from transfer box case - new shaft seals required, to be done next week
- Parking sensors not working - probably just a broken wire (my last one was that)
- A few minor paint scratches on the rear tailgate and bumper - to be sorted in due course

All in all a superb example and one I'm planning on keeping very long term all being well. A future classic if kept in A1 condition for 10-15 years? It will live in a dry, insulated garage. Love the V8 sound and supercharger whine on full chat Very Happy

Some pictures - old and new:

Paint looks black in some lighting, but is a deep metallic blue:

Lovely interior, leather everywhere:

Ciao, fanders Thumbs Up

Post #527266 6th Sep 2019 8:33pm
stu1

Nicely done, looks great Thumbs Up

Any thoughts with how it compares with your TDV8?

Post #527269 6th Sep 2019 8:50pm
fanders

Comparison of 4.2SC vs remapped TDV8

It will be interesting to compare when I’ve had a bit more time in it, but the headline figures are:

TDV8 JE Engineering Stage 1 remap: 315bhp / 850Nm torque
4.2SC: 395bhp / 560Nm torque

The torque on the TDV is obviously delivered at lower revs than the SC, not sure about exact RPMs.

First impressions are that the TDV8’s wall of torque is missing, the SC only really gets going when the revs go above 5,000rpm (but what a lovely supercharger whine!). But is certainly shifts for a big old lump when pressing on in a straight line. I’ve never driven the 5.0SC L322 but that would clearly be ‘more’ all round. It does feel a bit stiffer in roll than the TDV8 but I don’t think the setup is different so I’m probably imagining that. Being an Autobiography it is a bit plusher than my VSE but they are both very nice cabins.

Post #527273 6th Sep 2019 9:38pm
S.Hafsmo

Norway 2007 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Orkney Grey

You're a lucky man. A gorgeous ride indeed.
What "style" are those wheels? 2007 L322 3.6 TDV8 Stornoway

Post #527282 7th Sep 2019 5:49am
fanders

Thank you! I certainly am Very Happy

Not sure which style number the wheels are, they are the standard supercharged ones for the MY. They have been refurbished in light silver paint, the spare looks original in a mirror finish which I’m not a fan off (bit blingy for me).

Post #527295 7th Sep 2019 10:07am
3528cc

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Autobiography 4.2 SC V8 Buckingham Blue

Your new RR looks almost identical to my own 4.2SC Autobiography, barring I have cherry wood rather than Piano black!

Love mine Wink Regards
Royston

2008 4.2 Supercharged Autobiography
1994 Classic Vogue SE
1999 Rover BRM
1987 Rover Vitesse Twin Plenum

Post #527347 8th Sep 2019 7:27am
Tomo676

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Ipanema Sand

Looks really nice that. Tell me, did you have the egr valves deleted and blanked on the 3.6 ?
Reason I ask, I also have the tdv8 and I'm paranoid that my turbos are going too give up. My egr's are blanked and I always run down the turbos after a long run.

Post #527487 9th Sep 2019 8:03pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 4 1234>