Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Technical (L322) > Alternator / 5hp24 gearbox issues
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Mr B

United Kingdom 2003 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Oslo Blue
Alternator / 5hp24 gearbox issues

Sorry for my first post being one asking for help but I fear the job I have planned for it tomorrow may not resolve the issue I am having.

Rangie is a 2003 4.4 v8

Two weeks ago my alternator died (17+v whilst running and battery drain) I managed to limp home depending what voltage was being supplied it was either fine or locked in 4th trans failsafe active.

I ordered a replacement alternator (remanufactured bosch not the cheaper pattern type)

When the weekend arrived I swapped the alternator out and replaced all the coolant I warmed it up and bled the system,checked voltage of battery whilst running and not running 14v and 12.5v so thought all was good and took it for a test drive pretty much straight away the gearbox slipped and locked into 5th this time not 4th as it previously was doing, I thought maybe battery releated so limped it on a steady little drive to see if fault would improve once restarted,it did not the only time it slightly behaved was when cold but soon went again maybe 1mi.

I cleared the faults on my icarsoft and took it for another run to see what came back , I now have p0733 incorrect gear 3 ratio and p0730 incorrect gear ratio no other faults in gearbox.

The other strange occurrence I have noticed is if I look at the battery voltage in the gearbox section of the icarsoft I'm getting 15v with engine off and 17v with engine at idle, if I look through the engine section it shows 13.8v which is about right.

The other issues I've found whilst fault finding was the transmission cooler thermostat was stuck closed, I drained cooling system again and unstuck the thermostat and refilled (at no time has there ever been any transmission over heat faults)

I have checked the gearbox oil level and it was just dribbling out as it should but was not a very nice colour so have ordered a new filter and 7ltrs of oil which I plan to change tomorrow (rain or shine).

My next stab in the dark will be a new or used transmission ecu incase the alternator fried something when it went.

I have searched around this forum and others looking for an answer, the only thing that I found was failed gearboxes have I been that unlucky that the alternator failing has taken out my box.

sorry for the long read but just gave you all I could remember.

Post #527242 6th Sep 2019 3:27pm
Alistair

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Santorini Black

Try calling RRPhil - he's the expert on those gearboxes

https://www.fullfatrr.com/forum/topic38676.html

Post #527245 6th Sep 2019 4:05pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1