Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Technical (L322) > L322 2010 Front door card mid-range speaker replacement
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
dalex

United Kingdom 
L322 2010 Front door card mid-range speaker replacement

Hi folks,
My first post and it's a question - sorry!
I've got 2 blown speakers in the front offside door and bought a new low range and mid-range speaker to replace it.
The low range driver was easy - 4 torx screws and a plug. It's the little one near the door pull that I'm having a problem with.

I have fully removed the door card to get the old one out, I'm faced with not being able to access the fixings that hold it in position in the card. The speaker grille seems attached to the backing very firmly, and although does move a fraction, refuses to budge. Before I go and ruin a perfectly good door card, and start hacking away at the back, is there a secret to getting the mid-range speaker out? I've already wrecked my harmon karden badge and don't want to do any more damage unless it's unavoidable. Sad

To me, it looks like the plastic has been mushroomed over to hold the lighter plastic part to the inside black part of the door card.

Any ideas please?
All the best, and thanks for having me.

Post #529181 26th Sep 2019 7:11pm
JCW

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Autobiography TDV8 Sumatra Black

The covers are plastic welded in from the back - you should be able to gently drill the ‘welds’ off then epoxy back on once you’ve replaced the speaker unit.

Post #529189 26th Sep 2019 8:13pm
QuebecTango

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Nara Bronze

Had the same problem, check the manual in the wiki, it identifies where to drill out the moulded fixings& then to replace with self tapping screws on reassembly - good luck!

Post #529194 26th Sep 2019 8:38pm
dalex

United Kingdom 

Thanks both for the replies! All makes sense. I've got self-tappers that can get a grip on the speaker housing and successfully attached that to the door card.

Now to the grill/plastic housing and attaching that Sad

Edit:My idea is to Vaseline up 5 longer self-tappers, fill the shorter tubes up with epoxy and screw the self tappers in. I'll probably go with a size down for now, and have longer screws with big washers on to stop them pulling through the holes.

Didn't fancy that so in the end, just got some washers on 10mm and 7mm self-tappers.
10mm self-tapes were 6.14mm thick at the threads, and the 7mm ones were 5.39mm thick.

There was 16mm of thread on the 10mm ones and the 7mm ones screwed into a small hole I drilled inside the 2 rearmost tubes. Those with washers had 17.62mm of thread exposed.
Seems to have done the job and not broken either the tubes or the outside of the cream plastic grill.

7mm circled red, 10mm circled black.

Are there any places that sell just the cream plastic bit - the top picture above? I'd get a firmer fixing if the tubes were a bit longer than they are, so think it's worth having a go..

I guess the plastic welds were used to stop the creaking. It would be great if I could remain creak-free!

Once again - many thanks for the help!

Post #529237 26th Sep 2019 11:43pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1