Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Technical (L405) > Tailgate issues
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Old Skool

United Kingdom 2017 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Carpathian Grey
Tailgate issues

I’m finding I am having some trouble with my new (to me) 2017 RR and it’s tailgate.

First I noticed that when opening with the fob or gesture (which is by the way extremely intermittent and difficult to operate) the upper tailgate didn’t go up very high. No problem I thought. I pushed it all the way up and went through the procedure in the manual of setting the opening height by then holding the boot close button for 10 seconds.

However that didn’t seem to work.

Also now when I push the bot close button, the lower tailgate will close but the upper tailgate will get about halfway before beeping and then lifting back up (as though it has detected an obstacle). I can then not get the boot to close with the button on the tailgate.

Also if I open the boot from the button inside the car and close it the same way, although everything seems shut, the car will flash that the tailgate is open.

On a number of occasions although the boot is closed the car will say the tailgate is open and I cannot then lock the vehicle.

I find the only way to then get round this is to manually close both parts of the tailgate.

It is pretty maddening.

Is there anything I am missing and any simple sort of tailgate reset I can do?

Also can anyone confirm that the tailgate should close from the fob? I have read online it should open and close form the fob. Mine only ever opens from the fob and the place I bought it from insists that it can never close from the fob.

Other than that (so far) its an outstanding car and I’ve thoroughly enjoyed my first 3 days with it! ————————————
2017 L405 5.0 S/C Autobiography

Post #530602 11th Oct 2019 4:39pm
palli

United Kingdom 2019 Range Rover SVAutobiography 5.0 SC V8 Firenze Red

I had a similar problem when I first had my previous car.
After much headscratching it turned out to be the flap covering the hinges on the bottom of the tailgate.
I sprayed the carpet with some Scotchgaurd and the flap then slid over the carpet on the tailgate ok.
It was only by chance I pulled the flap back and all went ok that I found what my problem was.
Worth a look. 2008 Vogue Black - gone
2012 Vogue SE White - gone
2016 Autobiography Blue - gone
2019 Autobiography Grey - gone
2020 SVAutobiography Red

Post #530615 11th Oct 2019 6:49pm
MJGH

United Kingdom 2017 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Aintree Green
Re: Tailgate issues

Old Skool wrote:
Also can anyone confirm that the tailgate should close from the fob? I have read online it should open and close form the fob. Mine only ever opens from the fob and the place I bought it from insists that it can never close from the fob.

My one opens and closes on the fob so assume your one should to.

Post #530621 11th Oct 2019 8:30pm
palli

United Kingdom 2019 Range Rover SVAutobiography 5.0 SC V8 Firenze Red

Yes mine opens and closes from the fob. 2008 Vogue Black - gone
2012 Vogue SE White - gone
2016 Autobiography Blue - gone
2019 Autobiography Grey - gone
2020 SVAutobiography Red

Post #530625 11th Oct 2019 9:04pm
roberlar

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Santorini Black

Mine will open only, when operated from the fob....and that's just the upper tailgate. It will not close anything via the remote. Pressing the tailgate button on the actual tailgate itself opens the upper tailgate and lower tailgate, although quite often to open the lower tailgate it needs a second press or a shove down to open properly. But hey, that's why we pay circa 100k for these cars Rolling with laughter

Post #530628 11th Oct 2019 9:33pm
Old Skool

United Kingdom 2017 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Carpathian Grey

Just by way of update.

The tailgate was a real pain because it kept closing but the car would not recognise it as such and so would not lock.

In the end i called out LR Assist and i have to say they were brilliant.

The chap said more likely than not it was the lower tailgate and the cables having lost some tension following a few improper manual closes. He said it sometimes works giving it a forceful slam but if not to take it in to a dealer for a relatively straightforward fix.

After he played with it for a few moments it seemed to work and it has worked perfectly ever since! Opens and closes every time from the internal button, boot button and fob.

I still can't seem o get the gesture operation to work but i think thats the least of my concerns as i'm not sure i'll ever really need it. ————————————
2017 L405 5.0 S/C Autobiography

Post #535011 21st Nov 2019 12:42pm
LT

United Kingdom 2017 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Carpathian Grey

I've never been successful with the "gesture" opening. Maybe one day I'll read the manual and see what precisely it is I'm meant to be doing, but probably i won't. Smile

Post #535026 21st Nov 2019 4:16pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1