Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Maintenance & Mods (L322) > 2011 SC V8 - service intervals?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
disco3_v8

United Kingdom 
2011 SC V8 - service intervals?

hi all
i am new to the forum (been member on the D3 forum for some time) as planning to upgrade from 05 V8 disco to RR V8 SC, i am looking at few cars currently but not sure about the service history, sorry if this has been discussed before but here is my question
a vehicle i am looking at has got service record for about every 15k miles rather than once a year and some data i found on google suggest that these vehicles need to be serviced every 15k miles or once year, whichever is later? or am i just making this up?

Post #533115 4th Nov 2019 1:42pm
John w

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Autobiography Black TDV8 Barolo Black

One correction, Its probably which ever is sooner, rather than later Wink
It depends on the age of the car, but since your talking about 2011 it would probably be on mileage/ 12 months then. My 2011 car is.
https://www.fullfatrr.com/forum/post282112.html

If its been serviced every 15k then that for me would be as expected.
If it were a new car, or even an older car bought from a main dealer now, they will tell you it needs annual checks.
By way of example my wife's RRS service book states mileage service intervals, but the dealer states it needs a yearly service to maintain its warranty now.

It seems a bunch of manufacturers (not only land rover) have gone away from chasing ever longer service intervals and now saying a yearly check is necessary. Whether this is to boost their service revenue (cough) or to avoid warranty work due to not checking the car so often, is a debatable point. Too many toys, not enough time

2011 4.4 TDV8 AB Black

Post #533118 4th Nov 2019 2:09pm
disco3_v8

United Kingdom 

she has about 45k miles on her and been serviced by Guy Salmon 3 times with about 15k'ish intervals.
Am I correct in assuming that this means she is not a "Full Service History" vehicle? Is there a way to confirm the belt change has taken place? (i am new to finding out major jobs on this car and understand belt change is one of them??)

Post #533119 4th Nov 2019 2:13pm
disco3_v8

United Kingdom 

and also is there a way to see what should be done at what mileage etc? i am not able to find the service handbook online, it is easy to find all this info for Disco's Big Cry

Post #533120 4th Nov 2019 2:15pm
John w

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Autobiography Black TDV8 Barolo Black

I can't help with the belts, as I don't have an SC.

I would be inclined to contact the servicing dealer and ask them if they know the vehicle.
If it is them selling it then all the better. Usually they can tell you if they've always looked after it.
You can then ask why it has been serviced every 15k rather than annually, and is that acceptable.

45k in coming up to 9 years means a service roughly every 3 years. That is a bit long imo, but if its had interim inspection services or pre mot checks too, is it a problem ?
I don't know the answer to that.
Would it put me off buying it ? nope, not if everything else is as it should be, and the condition is spot on.

If you think it might be a problem now, then it will likely be the same when you come to sell it too.

Even if your buying private you can always ask if you can have the car main dealer inspected (at your cost). That gives you a bit more of an idea of condition. Its a small price to pay for peace of mind Smile

Have a search on here for service info. I think its in the wiki. Too many toys, not enough time

2011 4.4 TDV8 AB Black

Post #533123 4th Nov 2019 2:23pm
disco3_v8

United Kingdom 

Great, thanks John. I will search the forum again for the service intervals etc.

Post #533124 4th Nov 2019 2:27pm
disco3_v8

United Kingdom 

there is not much for SC V8s unfo on the wiki but TDV8s seem to have intervals of 15k miles, will see if diesel/petrol have the same intervals

Post #533135 4th Nov 2019 3:40pm
Jpboost

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Santorini Black

I've got a 2010 5.0 S/C and was looking at the service book recently.

It has a chart for various LR products that were on sale at the time, and while for things like the Defender it has 'x months/mileage or sooner', For the Range Rover it just says 'as per dashboard service indicator' or words to that effect.

So I don't think 15k miles is necessarily too much (or in it's own right makes it a non-full history vehicle), but I'd be surprised if the car didn't flag up it was ready for a service in a shorter time than 3 years.

Mine's a fairly low mileage 2010 (just over 50k) and it's had services every 5-6k or so. Of course I don't know if that's because the previous owner just put it in for a service every year or so, or if the car was flagging up it needed one.

Thanks

Post #533152 4th Nov 2019 5:33pm
paulbrown22

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Supercharged 5.0 SC V8 Stornoway Grey

As far as I can work out on my 2011 5.0 S/C, the "Service Required" indicator is simply a 12 month countdown and a reminder to get a (yearly) service, nothing cleverer than that.

Even if you don't do a high mileage, I've always believed that engines love fresh oil and that helps give them a longer and healthier life. My cars religiously get serviced every 12 months regardless of mileage, and sometimes if I've done a bit more mileage and have some spare time I'll do a 6 month oil/filter change as well, as I think the relatively small cost of that is far better than having something go bang!

Personally I'd always look for a car that has been regularly (at least yearly) serviced regardless of actual mileage, as contaminants do build up in the oil, probably even more so if it's loads of short journeys.

Post #533196 4th Nov 2019 11:28pm
Cam-Tech-Craig

England 2015 Range Rover SVAutobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

They should be serviced every 12 months or sooner if you do high miles! The dash is a 12 month counter but it also monitors the amount of miles before a high milage service is due... So yes an SC can probably achieve 15k between services but NOT 3yrs between services! I wouldn't buy it if it were 9yrs old and had 3 services! Im guessing but would think that was an insp 1 then and oil service then an inspection 2 so... Thats 9yrs with the same fuel filter, maybe 6yrs with the same air filter! Nope, doesn't work for me!

Pass and find a loved one! Thumbs Up

Post #533201 5th Nov 2019 12:54am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1