Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Maintenance & Mods (L405) > Wade sensing retrofitting help L405
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Charles89

United Kingdom 2014 Range Rover SVAutobiography SDV8 Scotia Grey
Wade sensing retrofitting help L405

I wonder if any of you can help I'm looking to retrofit Wade sensing but could do with some diagrams and parts lists if any of your able to post diagrams of the weight sensing system and he parts and components that may be required that would be much appreciated Thumbs Up

Post #532254 27th Oct 2019 8:44am
Alistair

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Santorini Black

Have you tried / experienced the system ?

I have wondered if it is any good or just a gimmick. It seems to be sensors under the mirrors - and apparently won't work with fixed steps - so kind of implies it tells you how deep you already are rather than any kind of forward warning of how deep you're about to go.

Beyond the sensors I can't help - best case the wiring is there, you plug them in, the car recognises them & the options appear on the screen menus and you live happily ever after

More likely you need additional cabling or ECU's or a software update

Worst case it just can't be retrofitted - which is a distinct possibility - crazy as it sounds adaptive headlights can't be retrofitted - and one member had a brand new car rebuilt as JLR got the order wrong story here

I guess what I'm saying is to make sure it's worth it before you enter into this world of pain & frustration Confused

Post #532257 27th Oct 2019 9:18am
Fleagle_UK

United Kingdom 2014 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Luxor

Used to want them but when I went for the freebie LR off road day, the instructor said they are next to useless. not that they they didn't work, but more that they used to give loads of false alarms when it was raining.

Post #532340 27th Oct 2019 8:34pm
Alistair

I'm still not sure how useful it actually is.....

Is it just showing off to your passengers that the water is half way up the doors ?

If it's just showing you what you can see out of the window, then I'm not convinced - it it's forward looking then maybe.....

Whenever I've been deep wading (not in a FFRR) it was always a case of build up a bow wave & a steady pace then just keep going

Post #532394 28th Oct 2019 8:50am
stan
Site Moderator

Location: a moderate moderated moderator moderating moderately in moderation

United Kingdom 

i dont think Leicester gets that flooded when it rains and if you do go through a ford or river then i concur with Alistair that a bow wave is a good indicator of depth.. ... - .- -.

click link for ,

FORUM WIKI

HOW TO Ǝꓕ∀ꓕOꓤ PICS

workshop manual downloads are in our wiki

Post #532399 28th Oct 2019 9:24am
Alistair

Thought so Thumbs Up

I used to do it quite a lot & have had several highly modified off roaders. Last thing I'd ever be looking at would be a screen in the centre.

Wading is great fun when it works - but you really need to stick with fords where there is a solid surface underneath & a somewhat known depth.

I've got stuck in deep water 3 times - and the car fills up very quickly and it's an expensive mistake. The risk in an L405 with all the electronics is way higher than anything I ever used.

First time was pre-snorkel and water up the air intake & soaked the air filter & the engine just stopped & wouldn't re-start
Second - new years day - fun chomping through ice until it got thick enough that I didn't have enough grip to keep pushing the sheet in front of me - and sadly not enough grip to reverse either
Third & most expensive was to slip off the edge of the established track through the water & end up sitting at 45 degrees sideways, on my side so I was almost under water Shocked All diffs locked & all 4 wheels just spinning.

Tips -
As with all off roading - don't go alone - have at least one other vehicle with you
Keep the engine running if you can because once the exhaust fills up with water, your chances of restarting it diminish wish rapidly.
Attach recovery ropes, front & rear, before you go in & have them sitting on your roof. Nothing worse than having to go under water just to try to affix the rope - ask me how I know that one.

Post #532405 28th Oct 2019 10:32am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1