Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Maintenance & Mods (L322) > DPF Soot Fill - L322 4.4 TDV8
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Range Rover L322

United Kingdom 
DPF Soot Fill - L322 4.4 TDV8

When the LR Technical Manual is used in conjunction with the IIDTool it can be misleading as to what is a normal / appropriate DPF Soot Fill level. I have spent 4 months, 3000 miles and a lot of money figuring this out. Quite a few people have been worrying completely un-necessarily like I did, I hope this stops that.

Bear in mind L322s rarely work completely identically, LR engineering is unique!

1) According to two Land Rover Chief Technicians and one of the original L322 design engineers the DPF will happily run indefinitely with a Soot Fill of 20,21,22,23g. This is perfectly normal and nothing to worry about. You will only go up to a Yellow Warning Light if you are in the middle of a city, heavy traffic or repeatedly doing short trips (in which case this is the wrong car for you).
2) Regens do not occur on a straight line graph and the Regen frequency increases as the Soot Fill goes higher. It will regen repeatedly over about 20g as long as you are moving.
3) The most common reason for a DPF Yellow Warning Light is taking multiple trips of less than approximately 4 miles.
4) Do not think that every regen must take you to 3-7g. You will only get down to that level when you are on open road.
5) The speed requirement for a Regen over 20g changes, it is not necessary to be going faster than 37mph. It will Regen at slow speeds, as long as you aren't sitting in very slow traffic or a traffic jam!
6) There are somewhere between 100,000 and 200,000 L322 TDV8s out there, with only a tiny handful of DPF problems -most concerns are people seeing what they (completely understandably) wrongly interpret as "high" Soot Fill on their IIDTool after getting 1 or 2 DPF Full Yellow Warning Light instances.
7) New Land Rovers engines are designed and expected to produce Soot at a rate of 1g per 10 miles for a 2 litre engine.
8. Crucially: Bear in mind Land Rover and Ford would not design an engine and management system that would require user intervention or additional tools in order to operate properly in any of their cars, let alone their flagship model.

I have tested the above over 3000 miles of mixed driving conditions including no open road for weeks at a time. I spreadsheeted, documented and graphed all the data. I have also done all of the above in consultation with two LR Chief Technicians and one of the original design team from the L322, they 100% concur and guarantee this is working precisely as designed. I have this in writing from Land Rover.

Now there are other factors that can give you a DPF Full Yellow Warning Light. Like a blocked MAF sensor or a split hose on the induction system. These problems are generally not subtle though!.

The best rule of thumb is if you don't have a Yellow Warning Light you probably don't have a problem... and here's the ultimate advice: if you do get a DPF Full Yellow Warning Light, just go for a drive... one of two things will happen - you will get a Red Warning Light and Limp mode or the Warning Light will go out. Also this is not the right car if you are in a heavily congested city, these care are completely un-suitable for Tokyo, Mumbai or Central London!.

If you would like additional info please feel free to ask or PM me.
I hope this saves someone the time and money I spent on it.

Post #533463 7th Nov 2019 10:17pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1