Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > In Car Electronics (L322) > Navigation Satellites Slow Location
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Classic888

United Kingdom 
Navigation Satellites Slow Location

Well for the last few days the Navigation GPS signal has been taking rather a long time to find the satellites. A new roof aerial was fitted about a year ago after it failed, I have checked the wiring and refitted the old one and an aftermarket unit but still the same result. Extracted the attached photo from the 753 menu. As you will note it has located a good number of satellites but no time, latitude or longitude showing!! Any suggestions would be great!y received. The navigation works fine when it eventually finds the satellites.

Post #536361 4th Dec 2019 3:10pm
uzp315

Hi there,
A few things you could think about:

In the rear left luggage area you'll find the sat nav unit behind the panel. Moisture can often get into here. I think LRs solution was to put in a plastic film between the body and the units. It can be worth checking the connectors for verdigris or damp and giving them a clean.

I also bought a £4.99 GPS aerial from auction site and plugged that into the unit to see if the shark fin was the source of my issue. It was and I replaced it. But still.......

It can still take longer than any car i have ever had to pick up the satellites. My conclusion is that something is affecting it's ability to hold and store the satellites in memory, but I have no idea what.

Sometimes mine picks up a GPS signal in minutes, sometimes it is more like 10 minutes. This is not helpful when in a strange city and the car has been parked for a while.

The only other thing I can say is that tall buildings, trees, and even clouds can slow down the connection process to the satellites.

Let me know how you get on.
Mark

Post #538540 26th Dec 2019 2:12pm
Classic888

United Kingdom 

Sausagecentre. Thanks for your reply. I have had ALL the electronics out and there is no water leak or damage in that area. I even took the cover off the Navigation DVD unit to check if the was anything amiss. Alas not, I used a strong magnifying glass to look at the boards and wiring. I am going to reload the original Map DVD when I can find it "just to see" a few have suggested using a DVD cleaning disc, but not sure about doing this. I noticed last Friday that the direction of travel facility only works on 2D view not 3D? Oh the joys of Land Rover ownership, in my 45th year of the "Land Rover" experience in 2020!!!!

Post #538893 30th Dec 2019 10:10am
uzp315

Hi Classic,
yes the LR ownership experience feels more like a custodianship at times.

I wouldn't know about whether the disc cleaning process is a good idea or not. I don't see why it shouldn't be a good thing to do, but at the same time I do not see that it will help with GPS position fix. A clean map disc is not going to affect the ability for it to do radio comms.

Basically from power on the unit will boot up from the main system board and the memory chips on that. In one of those chips the locations of the last-used satellites should be found. If not, then the unit will send out a scan via the aerial and start communicating in NMEA protocol with any satellites it finds. When it establishes enough connections to triangulate the position it will do so and will show on your map by removing the red check on the GPS icon. It should add a few back up (secondary connections too) satellites into the mix.

From the screen shot you posted, you can see the satellite status column. Where you have Ps and Ts. In the picture you posted, this should be enough for a position fix. However, how long it takes to connect is the issue here.

What solved my issue was a new shark fin. Before spending the time and effort to replace it, I bought one of these, connected it very quickly to the sat nav unit and watched as it very quickly connected to satellites. This confirmed for me that my shark fin was at fault.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B072L1...&psc=1

Sometimes my GPS still takes several minutes to locate the satellites, but I put that down to where I live (hills and woolands) and also that it is a Land Rover.
My other cars have never suffered like this. So again, I think there is an issue with it saving the satellite data onto the system board.

Post #538896 30th Dec 2019 10:30am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1