Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Off Topic - Other Cars > Using a BMW 320d for short journeys
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
mrblonde

United Kingdom 2003 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Adriatic Blue
Using a BMW 320d for short journeys

Asking for a friend who doesnt use forums for some strange reason Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

I've a colleague whos just moved a lot closer to work, he used to commute 40 miles each way, 5 days a week, now he lives 6 miles away and wants to keep his current car a BMW 320d 2013 model (I think its a F30 model?)

I've said about the dangers of using a diesel car for such short journeys (I actually considered it a few years ago but was talked out of it) regarding the DPF (I think), but is there anything he can do to reduce the chance of damage to his engine as he is adament on keeping his pride and joy (which he actually loves more than his rather pleasing on the eye missus) Whistle

Are there any mods/changes he can do to prolong its life?

Post #537701 17th Dec 2019 10:40am
Brian Considine

United Kingdom 

As long as he takes it for a decent run at least once a week & uses decent quality fuel he should be OK.

However, if his work run is all stop & start he may need to increase the frequency of his "decent run".

As long as he realises that 6 miles is not far/long enough to get his engine (& other mechanical s) fully up to temperature (the coolant may be up to temperature, but the engine wont be fully up to it). 2003 Range Rover Vogue TD6

Post #537702 17th Dec 2019 10:57am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1