Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Technical (L322) > ignition barrel fault or not
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Equinox

England 2007 Range Rover Vogue 4.2 SC V8 Zermatt Silver
ignition barrel fault or not

Hi all - new to the forum so be gentle with me.

Im searching past posts and wiki on ignition faults and getting lost cant see the woods for the trees in the way so to speak.

long story but a new battery fitted in June led to a ill fitting + battery terminal arching out randomly and causing no end of breakdowns as it jumped off and back on etc. Now that is fixed I have random ignition failure. Sometimes with dash lights on but no firing, sometimes nothing at all dead when turned to position 3. from what I read it could be the barrel fault- possibly most likely but some of the symptoms dont match that cause. Sometimes she's dead on position 2, other times turns over well but wont fire. She had a 2 week spell in the airport car park and the problem went away - ran fine for 4 weeks then almost to the day the damn thing wont start, ignition on turning over but no fire - again then again and then lit up like a Christmas tree and transmission failure no gears again.

A random heavy handed thump on the dash (more than one) and all is back on firing well to get us home. but that doesnt explain the turn over but no fire.

The question? does this sound like the Barrel fault form anyone with the same experience? being the dash mounted ignition (above left knee for R H drive) a previous FFRR tells me its a PITA to get to. I dont want to waste 8 hours with it likely to be something else. L322 TDv8 4.2 2007 172k miles new battery charging as expected - fuse 18 pull reset with no effect. shes well looked after and bought in June from a very trusted source so a decent car I just need her back to be ing reliable

Post #539414 4th Jan 2020 8:38pm
Equinox

England 2007 Range Rover Vogue 4.2 SC V8 Zermatt Silver

small update to my continuing problem where as I need to punch the dash at the key barrel in order to get the engine started each time.

now Ive reset / reconnected the battery the entertainment system / screen is dead, CD unit ejects, no on/off light flashing or screen. sat nav disc also dead no eject. Fuses all OK no water ingress everything was fine until battery disconnect. Ive searched WIKI and past posts with no joy yet.

any tips on an internal head unit fuse or what could have shorted/blown just simply reconnecting the battery PLEASE?

Post #540313 12th Jan 2020 3:28pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1