Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Maintenance & Mods (L322) > what mileage do suspension components die
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
deficit

United Kingdom 
what mileage do suspension components die

Do we have a feel for what mileages would be sensible to replace suspension components preventatively? I've just bought an L322 tdv8 4.4 on 108k miles. Its already had nearside front air shock replaced and I'm trying to discern when is sensible to change:

off side front shock
rear air bags
height sensors/limit switches

given the cost of these items it'd be nice to spread it out over some time

I'm guessing the compressor should be ok as long as it's not killing itself trying to keep up with leaking bags?

Any glaring omissions from that list?

Post #684515 1st Feb 2024 12:41pm
Danb_220_2019

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Fuji White

My 2012 4.4TDV8 had 79K on when I bought it. I have since replaced all four front arms, lower ball joints, ARB droplinks all round, both front struts and one height sensor which had failed.

ETA: I now have 105K on - these all replaced since January 2023 at 79K as stated. 2012 (L322) 4.4TDV8 Vogue SE, RSE, Fuji White over Arabica.
Previous V8s: BMW 645Ci, P38 4.6, P38 4.0, Merc CL500
Previous others: Honda x1, Volvo x7, Rover x6, BMW x6, Ford x1, Mercedes x2, Skoda x3, VW x2, Renault x2, Citroen x1, Mazda x3, Nissan x1, Audi x3, Kia x1, Fiat x4, Subaru x3, Austin x2, Triumph x2, Jeep x2, Hyundai x2, Lexus x1, Mitsubishi x1, Saab x2... and some others I've forgotten!

Post #684516 1st Feb 2024 12:52pm
deficit

United Kingdom 
Re: what mileage do suspension components die

Danb_220_2019 wrote:
and one height sensor which had failed

Do you remember which height sensor it was? Are there 2 per car or 4 per car?

Post #684518 1st Feb 2024 1:16pm
Danb_220_2019

There are four, one on each corner.

My offside rear failed.

If you're planning on replacing any, make sure you get the correct 6-pin sensor from a reputable source as your 4.4TDV8 will have adaptive dynamics.

There are some '6 pin' sensors available from dubious sources which don't appear to actually have 6 connected pins. 2012 (L322) 4.4TDV8 Vogue SE, RSE, Fuji White over Arabica.
Previous others: Honda x1, Volvo x7, Rover x6, BMW x6, Ford x1, Mercedes x2, Skoda x3, VW x2, Renault x2, Citroen x1, Mazda x3, Nissan x1, Audi x3, Kia x1, Fiat x4, Subaru x3, Austin x2, Triumph x2, Jeep x2, Hyundai x2, Lexus x1, Mitsubishi x1, Saab x2... and some others I've forgotten!

Post #684522 1st Feb 2024 1:40pm
deficit

United Kingdom 

sounds like no rhyme or reason to which height sensor goes first then :-/

I'm definitely going to get the other front strut done

will probably leave the rear airbags til later in the year

height sensors it sounds like i should get all 4 done to avoid issues....

i'll be using proper land rover parts

Post #684524 1st Feb 2024 1:44pm
Danb_220_2019

There's no reason to assume the height sensors even need replacing. They're pretty reliable items with not a lot to go wrong. 2012 (L322) 4.4TDV8 Vogue SE, RSE, Fuji White over Arabica.

Post #684525 1st Feb 2024 1:48pm
JayGee

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Orkney Grey

Life of suspension componenets not realy related to mileage as a high miler driven sensibly mosly on A roads and M-Ways will not have stressed the componenets as much as a low miler driven agressivley in urban enviromnerts over curbs and speed humps. These cars drive quite well as they age so only replace when a component fails as you can spend a not inconciderable forture preemptivley replacing bits that may never fail. 2012 TDV8 Vogue (L322)

Post #684526 1st Feb 2024 2:08pm
Snowy90 L322

United Kingdom 2004 Range Rover HSE Td6 Giverny Green

My experience is that front air shocks probably go about 60,000 - 80,000 miles having done over 100,000 in mine now on 166k i have replaced both fronts. One went quite soon at 60,000 and the other about 80,000. So possible due a failed one? Rears are still original.

Front ARB drop links seems very weak replaced them twice both sides.

Just having to replace front lower control arms on the front and rear ARB links at 166k so all in all pretty robust!

And mine is mostly urban driving potholes and speedbumps and a missus that drives it like she stole it.

Post #684530 1st Feb 2024 2:54pm
Merchy

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Zermatt Silver

At the moment I would just replace the other front airbag, but inspect it first, just in case it is not the original and has already been changed at some time.

As the car is new to you, if you have someone you can trust or a friendly local garage ( indy would be best ) get the car up on a ramp and have a good look to see if any of the suspension items are showing any wear / damage, and check the condition of the car.

Unless otherwise already carried out, with proof, all the oils, diffs, transfer box, gearbox oils will probably need changing. Whilst the car is on a ramp / lift, you can also see the condition of the suspension air tank ( reservoir ) etc Depends what the service history says, but receipts as proof would be nice to have.

One way I have spread out the cost of parts is to keep a look out on various sites and bought numerous original new components when going cheap, then storing them in the man shed till needed.

Post #684559 1st Feb 2024 7:31pm
deficit

United Kingdom 

yep, that's pretty much where I'm at with it. I didnt give the full list of things i'm having done as this post was just about suspension but...

- Full check over by trusted mechanic (on a ramp, he already checked it out as far as poss on the previous owner's driveway before i bought it) - undercarriage, pipes and hoses for signs of corrosion, damage, perishing etc
- OSF strut and air bag
- power steering pipe - slight leak - fix
- brake caliper refurb (they look like they came out of a skip)
- Swapping 22" rims with rubber bands for 20" wheels with AT grabbers
- Transmission service - oils, filters, any seals (engine, gearbox, diffs, transfer box)
- oil change
- pollen filter
- check and lubricate turbo changeover valve
- Drivers seat peltier - remove and fix/replace/give it to me so i can have it refurbed (depends on prices for doing so. DS heated seat doesnt work and i want it to. Cooling is fine)

SO if i can leave the rear airbags and the limit switches alone for now that'd be great as i'm already spending a few quid. Might get the front sensors done while we're in there too, i'm undecided.

I'm tempted to just buy a single rear bag and a single rear height sensor and keep them in the car for when one fails. I had a rear airbag go in a disco 2 when I was in the middle of nowhere in south of France and I got shafted for about 3x the price of the parts, because they could

Post #684561 1st Feb 2024 7:42pm
fanders

United Kingdom 2009 Range Rover Autobiography 4.2 SC V8 Buckingham Blue

I’ve just replaced both front airbag/struts at 103,000 miles due to one developing a leak. They were the original ones looking at their date of manufacture. I have two rear Bilstein airbags for the rear which will be going on shortly, as preventative maintenance.

I recommend pulling the plastic cover in the front left wheel well (you have to remove the arch liner first), and the left fuel tank cover and inspect the brake lines for corrosion. If they are rusty you might get away with rubbing back the surface rust and repainting, but if they are bad it would be worth getting the rusty sections replaced as when they go there goes your brake pedal.

I’m also going to be pulling my air receiver tank for checking, stripping and repainting, and will also be replacing the dessicant filter in the compressor as it’s probably overdue for replacement.

fanders
Thumbs Up ---------------------------------------
2009 4.2 SC Buckingham Blue
2021 Hilux 2.4

Post #684564 1st Feb 2024 8:03pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1