Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Camping, Caravanning and Holidays > Dometic Freshjet FJ2200 roof mounted A/C fan speed issue
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Huwrhys

United Kingdom 2017 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Loire Blue
Dometic Freshjet FJ2200 roof mounted A/C fan speed issue

I have the above fitted to my caravan and it seems to have lost two of the four speeds. I now only have slow and full blast. I am unable to get speeds two and three either manually or automatically. I'm guessing it's the PCB as there's little else to cause such an issue but my problem is as follows. The Dometic website gives details of a number of mobile service agents who could look at the problem but they all declined saying they only do refrigeration now. I live to the east of London so expected a few choices but even the workshops don't seem to be very interested. I've tried local AC companies but they don't touch them, they'll do car, van and truck stuff but not roof mounted.
Can anyone help?
I live in Hornchurch, Essex and just want it fixed before the summer comes.
Cheers in advance.
Huw
Big Cry Big Cry Big Cry Big Cry Big Cry Big Cry Big Cry Thumbs Up

Post #539729 7th Jan 2020 3:29pm
Tinman

United Kingdom 2017 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Silicon Silver

HI, Huw

Have you tried the reset button on the remote? If that won't work try the CMC for help?

Alex

Post #539733 7th Jan 2020 4:08pm
Huwrhys

Hi Alex
Just tried the reset on the remote but had no effect unfortunately.
It's actually ok on low speed and as I increase the fan speed there's no difference when 2nd speed is switched and then goes what seems like full speed on position 3 and 4. The problem is at night, if the low speed can't cool the van to the preset temperature it kicks in at full speed and wakes me up! Censored
I'll give CMC a call later to see what they suggest.
Cheers for your help mate.
Huw

Post #539735 7th Jan 2020 4:29pm
Tinman

Huw, are you working in heating or cooling as the ambient temp will make a difference??

Post #539736 7th Jan 2020 4:36pm
Huwrhys

I’m operating the four individual speeds from the remote in manual mode. In cooling I’ve set it at 16° so it’ll run at full blast on automatic, which it does. It runs quietly in speed 1 but no change in 2, then 3 it blows very fast and 4 makes no difference. I used to get 4 distinctly different speeds but now only two.

Post #539738 7th Jan 2020 4:48pm
Tinman

I understand what your saying? is it the same in heating with the fan speed? It may not be the unit it could be the remote controller?

Post #539740 7th Jan 2020 4:52pm
Huwrhys

I'll give it a go and let you know. I'm doubtful as it seems only to work in the 2 speeds automatically too.

Post #539743 7th Jan 2020 5:40pm
Huwrhys

Ok so here I am having tried the reset and even removed the PCB to send off for repair. It came back looking like a number of relays had been replaced (the solder looked shiny on the back) stating there was water damage. The fact that Dometic advised the PCB was the problem and that water ingress was the likely issue smacks of not being fit for purpose to me but we'll see. I refitted the PCB and the fan no longer runs at all but a different fan does run at all four speeds which is confusing. I have air being blown out of the vents on top of the van but the fan to blow into the van doesn't spin. I wasn't aware that there was another fan so when I heard the fan running I thought I'd cracked it but it wasn't the case Censored .
I now have a Dometic agent calling on me in Devon where I am next week (in the rain!) to have a look to see if he can sort it out. The repair cost me £86 and if it needs a replacement PCB it'll cost a further £285 to get it working. I've got to say that Dometic had an issue where the condensed water reservoir which wasn't deep enough causing water to drip inside when working hard, so effected a fix by sticking plastic sheet to the side of the reservoir to deepen it. I'm feeling a bit miffed with them at present and feel a fight looming. If the kit wasn't so expensive I'd replace it with the Truma set up. I just don't have the nasty in me any more to go to war.
Rolling Eyes

Post #543896 14th Feb 2020 3:42pm
Tinman

I concur about Dometic, toilets, fridge, not fit for purpose way too expensive.

Post #543901 14th Feb 2020 5:35pm
Huwrhys

I have a week off in Devon which is suffering from floods (FFRR are made for this). I arranged for a local Dometic engineer to have a look at my A/C. He arrived about 10:00am on Monday to have a look. I switched it on and he could hear a fan running which increased in speed when instructed by the remote. This was not the fan which blew cold air into the van but another which seemed to expel air outside on the roof. As he was looking at it from inside it suddenly sprung into life. Now it all works as it should and the engineer did diddly squat! Still cost me £65 call out but you live and learn. Still only half the cost of a new pcb and I’ve spayed the whole board with Q30 waterproofing so it shouldn’t happen again.

Post #544388 19th Feb 2020 10:05am
Huwrhys

I thought I'd run the A/C for a while to test all was ok and would you believe it runs for about 5 mins and dies. Censored
I really have no idea what to do next. I've seen a new PCB for sale but it's £200 (cheaper but still a fortune).
I'm thinking of kicking the Dometic into touch and going for the Truma Aventa comfort complete with the I-Net box. I'll sell the remains on eBay as a non runner.
Unless anyone has a better idea of course.
Huw

Post #545143 25th Feb 2020 7:06pm
Tinman

From memory, the fresh jet is about £1200 so if you pay out £200 for parts you could sell it as a working unit for about £650-£750 which I think would be more than what you would get as a none runner? Which would help towards the cost of a new A/C
unit.

Post #545152 25th Feb 2020 7:54pm
Huwrhys

Hi Alex
If I got it working I doubt she'd be happy about me spending a couple of K on a new set up. Not worth the fight.
Just be gutted if it didn't fix the problem with a new PCB.

Post #545155 25th Feb 2020 8:10pm
Tinman

The same thing I had with my fridge changed the PCB all working now out of pocket £161 against 2kfor a new fridge.
I thought it was Scott power that had told you what was at fault?

Post #545156 25th Feb 2020 8:14pm
Huwrhys

Scot told me that the likely cause of the issue was the PCB. I went ahead and had the PCB sent to a company called Electronic Partners who initially checked over the unit for anything obvious. They came back with a report stating the PCB had been wet and a few relays needed to be replaced to get everything working. They did say that without having the whole A/C system together they couldn't guarantee it would work but that everything on the PCB will be working. I paid £86 to get the repair done thinking I'd saved £200 on a replacement PCB. It arrived about 10 days later so I refitted it immediately. I switched it on and nothing other than the fan which blew externally, worked. I have no one locally willing to come to me to look at it so booked a guy (Cara-Doc) whilst I was away for the week in Devon. He duly arrived and whilst he was just looking at it, it burst into life. Hooray I thought. I then had to pay a call out charge (fair enough) of £65 but still felt quids in on the deal. A few days later I thought I'd give it a quick test and nothing. Censored
Been nothing ever since. Now I've bought a new PCB which was being sold by a caravan dealership who had it hanging around and no use for it, I paid £175 for it which is £110 less than the usual. So the new PCB would have cost me £285 but instead I did it all myself in a much more convoluted way than was really necessary and it's cost me £40 more than it would have done if I'd just bought the new one in the first place.
Live and learn, live and learn.

Post #545350 27th Feb 2020 3:35pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>