Home > Technical (L322) > engine crankcase over pressure
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
ritchardhale

Australia 
engine crankcase over pressure

2010 tdv8
last week the after starting in the morning cold i drove to the end of the street and smelt oil , opened the hood the dipstick popped out , drove home and cleaned up the mess, topped up the oil then went for a long drive and not a problem did not happen again . next day from cold it did the same thing popped the dipstick out , again clean the mess top it up no problems all day 400 km driving, that night i replaced the o ring on the dipstick and parked it for the night , next morning i started the car let it idle and took the filler cap off to check for over pressure inside the engine all normal no obvious overpressure , i have done all the checks hot and cold to verify if i have a crankcase issue have not been able to see any overpressurisation out of the filler hot or cold ,,, my issue now is if i hop in and drive from cold i get smoke on acceleraton for the first minute and a smell of oil which i have worked out it is trying to push oil out of the LH manifold gasket , but if i let it idle for about 3 minutes it never gives me any issues

Post #606163 11th Sep 2021 8:09am
Strider

England 2007 Range Rover Vogue SE 4.2 SC V8 Zermatt Silver

Hi,
Usually excessive crank case pressure can be caused by a number of causes or of some combined together.
These are the possible ones :-

1/ Overfilling with engine oil
2/ Crankcase breather piping and oneway valves blocked (compressed oil vapour forces its way past oil and piston rings and is burnt in combustion).
3/ Worn cylinder bores / piston rings again allowing oil to travel past and into combustion chamber. This reduces as oil warms and thins.

As a matter of elimination try cleaning all of the engine breather components, if the symptoms still persist then do a compression test to see if piston rings or cylinder bores are worn. Also check to see ...are all plugs oily??.

Post #606182 11th Sep 2021 10:00am
Kot

United Kingdom 

Agree with Strider, Check the PCV valve system and all hoses are clear.

If that doesn't cure your problem you have a very sick engine. 2018 SE SDV8 4.4 Byron Blue

Post #606219 11th Sep 2021 7:26pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1