Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > General (L405) > Stolen! And I’d like to apply for a new world record
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 4 of 5 <12345>
Print this entire topic · 
Tinman

United Kingdom 2017 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Silicon Silver

Not if they can nick another one why do they need to pay out on repairs Censored

Post #542254 29th Jan 2020 12:30pm
fenlander

England 2002 Range Rover SE 4.4 V8 Tonga Green

This looks interesting...

https://www.smartwater.com/news/trap-car-catches-glowing-thief/ "Gloria" 2002 L322 Voguish V8 LPG - carcass
"Jessica" 1996 Disco 1 300 TDi Auto
"Harriet" 1994 Disco 1 300 TDi Manual - Gone
"Daisy" 1992 Disco 1 200 TDi Manual - Gone

Post #542276 29th Jan 2020 2:29pm
jackcramerr

We need a guide here on how to make it difficult for anyone to steal the car.

Maybe brexit can put some border checks in place?

Post #542341 29th Jan 2020 10:52pm
GGDR

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Stornoway Grey

Sorry to read this Bigglez

I watch the Automatrics YouTube videos and they seem very good at hiding the tracker units.
Those vids are quite moreish are a window on another, very active world, and a reminder vehicle theft is an industry.

What's weird is your keys were in a faraday bag.

So they have another way in.

Anyone heard of other methods?

Have they captured a key signal? when yo got out of the car? Not sure if that's possible.
Or jacked the app?
Maybe an inside job using duplicate keys + your address.

. Cheers, Greg
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
2011 Vogue SE 4.4 with lots of toys in Stornaway

Post #542343 29th Jan 2020 10:57pm
fenlander

England 2002 Range Rover SE 4.4 V8 Tonga Green

So this is quite a long read (54 pages) and useful backgrounder on the status quo of UK customs...

https://www.instituteforgovernment.org.uk/...ms_WEB.pdf

From Page 9 "documentary checks are carried out on less than 3% of imports (non-EU only)" so assuming exports to destinations outside EU are similar then the odds of detecting an L405 with fake paperwork in a shipping container are next to knack-all currently, again making an assumption here that organised theft has a suitable legitimate import/export front operation involved...

Also the sheer scale of trade is daunting, again on Page 9 " There are 37 million tonnes of trade a year passing
through Southampton alone, including more than a million containers."

Agree there is a need for a guide to how best to minimise theft risks.... the challenge of course is that eternal tension between making information available that then helps the bad actors who also read this forum...

Having said the above, smartwater makes a lot of sense, as does a hidden live-streaming, remote-recording pin-hole camera that captures the face of the toerag concerned "Gloria" 2002 L322 Voguish V8 LPG - carcass
"Jessica" 1996 Disco 1 300 TDi Auto
"Harriet" 1994 Disco 1 300 TDi Manual - Gone
"Daisy" 1992 Disco 1 200 TDi Manual - Gone

Post #542345 29th Jan 2020 11:13pm
Charles89

United Kingdom 2014 Range Rover SVAutobiography SDV8 Scotia Grey

I have toyed with the idea of the Ghost system for a while now. And also installing a 3rd party covert tracking device. Fast forward 3 months of paranoia and I now find myself looking at second hand armoured L322s... Razz

Sorry to hear of your experience, but echo what others have said. Your fortunate enough to be unharmed. A friend of mine was not so lucky when he was dragged out of bed at knife point at 2am because his Ghost system prevented them from starting his RS6. When criminals want something badly enough, they will take it at all cost. So in some respects your better letting them take your car and not your life. Problem for the insurance I say.

Post #542367 30th Jan 2020 8:57am
Bigglez

2016 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Carpathian Grey

Hey All - small updates:

Fenlander - I can 100% confirm what you say about likelihood of something being found in a crate. It is naff all. I work with various groups in this area including my touring Southampton docks for the day recently understanding how stuff gets in and out. No hope.

I have been looking at the blackvue D900 as a permanently running cam for the inside of the car when parked. Seems the best of the bunch and wifi and 4G streams so if parked outside house would be feeding constantly to the cloud.

However - I have mainly been having fun making LR customer services squirm - 45 minutes today with the bloke tying themselves in knots trying not to say that their security is totally penetrated. Told categorically that any aftermarket fitted extra system will invalidate a warranty claim for anything that it could be conceived of touching.

Got them to say "there is no approved additional security" and then hit them that their OWN dealers have been telling customers about systems and ordering them for them to be fitted telling them that its approved.

Stunned silence followed by a gibbering mess of a denial.

Anyone up for going to the press and Censored over LR saying that their dealers will fit things but won't tell you unless you ask?!

My job means I can't sadly otherwise I'd be doing it.

On the positive side - because it was stolen so quickly the extended warranty was still in the cooling off period! So I've got my money coming back to me on that.. Rolling with laughter

So basically - unless I want to risk my warranty (admittedly the dealers don't seem to care) there is no way I can get another FF. For a laugh I started to look at RS6's as several approved ones are for sale with hardcore addtional systems that Audi are fine with including the bluetooth fobs and the ability for the police to tell the car to turn the engine off the moment it comes t o a standstill.

But all the RS forums are full of stories about people smashing in and holding people hostage like the poster above! That I had a security company round today looking at fitting steel beams around my door and CCTV suddenly made me think "this way madness lies" and perhaps I'm just going to have to have a Censored car until I ever move out of London... Big Cry 2016MY Carpathian 4.4SDV8 Autobiography (Stolen) 😡
2010MY Buck Blue 3.6TDV8 Vogue. Gone but not forgotten.

Post #542551 31st Jan 2020 6:15pm
xjsracer44

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Vogue SE Supercharged Java Black

One of my neighbours had his brand new L405 stolen within a couple of weeks. He has CCTV of the culprits opening his locked gates, grabbing the signal and driving off in his Range Rover. They also came back in a Range Rover to steal his wife's Audi, as there was a set of keys in his car - all on camera. Shocked

They disabled the tracker in his car within minutes, but didn't know where the tracker was in the Audi, so it lead the Police to the culprits when it was activated and they arrested them. Smile

He now has two electric bollards which retract into the ground as well as gates.

Post #542556 31st Jan 2020 6:44pm
Bigglez

Nuts isn’t it... 2016MY Carpathian 4.4SDV8 Autobiography (Stolen) 😡

Post #542557 31st Jan 2020 6:48pm
Phil.

United Kingdom 2019 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Santorini Black

My experience of permanently on BlackVue cameras, is that they drain the battery quickly. Plenty on hear about our experiences. MY23 D350 HSE
On my 7th RR plus various other JLR vehicles

Post #542560 31st Jan 2020 8:14pm
Charles89

United Kingdom 2014 Range Rover SVAutobiography SDV8 Scotia Grey

I have permanently on blackvue and I have a 4G TPLINK hotspot in the car connected. So even the main dealers dont get away with hiding as I can sit in the waiting room and watch live. I also installed an anti tamper device to stop garages unplugging the unit.

Recent footage shows a re-mapping company driving on the main road using the emergency lighting that is installed. Not authorised or licensed to do so I showed the footage to the owner of the garage and he was deeply embarrassed. What's worse is before he realised it had a camera the words "I'm going to spank the arse off this car because it ain't mine" came out of his mouth... true to his word he did indeed drive it like he stole it. The funny part was upon collection I had not at this stage seen the footage, and he said "we have taken upmost care and pride in looking after your vehicle"... later I discovered a different story...

Post #542599 1st Feb 2020 7:48am
Dolphinboy

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Atacama Sand

@charles89

I hope you told him what to do with his bill? 🧐👊

Ps what emergency lighting?

Post #542601 1st Feb 2020 8:22am
Cam-Tech-Craig

England 2015 Range Rover SVAutobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

Charles, it sounds like you need to find a garage you can trust sir... That very much sounds like a rouge member of staff rather than a rouge garage!
Cameras in cars are not allowed in most garages, which i understand as it can be A, a security issue! & B, a privacy issue! Would anyone here like a CCTV camera recording their every move in their place of work? And i don't mean an internal generic main stream CCTV system! More a CCTV camera on the top of your monitor recording your every move/word? I certainly wouldn't!
Most owners/customers now have some form of tracker so, if you test drive their car you know full well there's a good chance the telematics will all be recorded!

Post #542611 1st Feb 2020 10:44am
diesel Dave

England 2015 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

Very interesting read. I have just had a new key programmed to my 2015 L405 as it only came with one and the place of purchase never came up with the spare as promised. The Locksmith come at the agreed time and advised me he would have to remove the KVM to programme the new key, but on removal of the N/S/R panned in the boot he was unhappy at finding a complete heater assembly for the 4 zone climate control, saying he didn't want to disturb it, long story short I took it out for him then he proceeded with the new key installation. Now we had built a bit of a working relationship I asked him why thieves could take a car so quick if we had to go to al this trouble to program a new key, his response was.
As long as you keep you keys in a faraday bag, or a tin, nobody can take your car without a key. I told him of your situation and he said someone must have had a key to take your car, on post 2015, or any 405 that has had the upgrade to the latest KVM, it is impossible to take them without the key, or a signal from within your house. He also advised you cannot clone a key for the latest RR. Charged me £200 which I thought was really good value. I watched him do the job and he also deleted the previous key I was promised would be mailed to me by the seller. Hope this helps.

Post #542679 1st Feb 2020 7:16pm
Bigglez

Fascinating. Perhaps there was leakage of the signal somehow from the box - as if they’d had a key the tracker wouldn’t have gone off as it would have said there was a key present? 2016MY Carpathian 4.4SDV8 Autobiography (Stolen) 😡

Post #542682 1st Feb 2020 7:39pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 4 of 5 <12345>