Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Off Topic > New diesel and petrol car production to end in 2035
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Print this entire topic · 
fenlander

England 2002 Range Rover SE 4.4 V8 Tonga Green

Fake News Climate Alarmism is all about minted greenie virtue signallers (and jump-on-the-bandwagon profiteers) trying to force, through fear, society into accepting poor taxes on essential plant food (CO2).

Whereas in actuality, driving Euro6 Diesels actually serve to remove harmful particulate pollution from the local environment.

And, if you think about the rate of recycling (our planet home is essentially a closed system, so what matters really is how quickly any element/molecule can be recycled and reused), then using fresh veg oil, eg sunflower or canola, in diesel engines results in a complete capture/crop/use/recapture carbon cycle of one growing season, how sustainable is that? "Gloria" 2002 L322 Voguish V8 LPG - carcass
"Jessica" 1996 Disco 1 300 TDi Auto
"Harriet" 1994 Disco 1 300 TDi Manual - Gone
"Daisy" 1992 Disco 1 200 TDi Manual - Gone

Post #543035 4th Feb 2020 10:09pm
cass

United Kingdom 2014 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Causeway Grey

I don’t doubt the days of the petrol/diesel engine in cars may be numbered but I’m sure that electric isn’t the answer.
I got a new Mitsubishi PHEV last year, during the 4K miles that I endured in it I never once charged it anywhere other than home due to the changing infrastructure problems that others have mentioned. These things can be improved in time but it was the other problems that you only learn about when you’re living with an EV that can’t be fixed so easily
Range - claimed 35 miles, I once got 24, usually 15 to 20 and once 8 miles on a cold and wet nighttime trip
Charging time - 8 hours each time to give the above range, no real point in plugging in for 30 mins at the shops.
Running cost - my 8 mile trip cost me £2.17 in electricity, ironically my 4.4 TDV8 would have cost about the same. It really is staggering how much electricity these things use once you’re using heating/lights etc. especially if you’re also stuck in traffic.
High speed chargers create waste heat which damages batteries and is inefficient so it isn’t really the answer, there is no easy way to transfer and store large amounts of electricity on a car. No doubt there will be improvements to come but as Scotty said on Star Trek (or maybe he didn’t) “ye cannae change the laws of Physics Jim”

Post #543053 5th Feb 2020 3:33am
Lyonhead

Wales 2019 Range Rover SVAutobiography 5.0 SC V8 Loire Blue

It will be interesting to see where the power is going to come from with all the coal fired power stations being closed, the last being down my neck of the woods and where I used to work, Aberthaw Power Station.

But with this new 2035 directive it is even more worrying where the tax off diesel and Petrol will be grabbed by the govt. when all that is about are electric cars Question

Still not convinced this is the way forward, I personally will probably be the last person to drive an electric car and then only if its law. They do not have any soul, no feeling and certainly no enjoyment factor when driving.

Just to note, Germany have 40 coal fired power stations running and China have 53 coal stations running and are building over 300 coal stations in other countries. Perhaps Greta should be going have a word with them ask them how dare they take her childhood!!!! Whistle Whistle 19MY SVA-Dynamic Spectral Chromoflair Blue but colour not available in profile
2016 RRS SVR Estoril Blue - Gone
2010 RRS 5.0 Supercharged Navara Bronze - Gone
2008 RRS 4.2 Supercharged Black - Gone
2006 RRS 2.7 Diesel Rimini Red- Gone

Post #543086 5th Feb 2020 12:12pm
Bill

United Kingdom 

Greta is no child , she is 17 dressed down to look 13! Just part of the hype.. Filters are in fact so good that in certain circumstances, when the ambient air is already polluted, a diesel car will tend to extract more particles from the air than it emits. Emissions Analytics worked with........etc etc

He who dies with the most toys wins...

Post #543345 7th Feb 2020 6:53pm
Brian Considine

United Kingdom 

Technically, in the UK at least Greta is a child for about another 10/11 months.

Yes I agree, the dressing down is part of the hype (cue Alice Band). However, I did read somewhere that she suffers from Autism so is that not taking advantage ? As someone who looks after young people for Social Services I would like to see questions being asked in this regard. 2003 Range Rover Vogue TD6

Post #543381 8th Feb 2020 12:55am
Red Merle

United Kingdom 2017 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Aintree Green

I wish there were an easy solution to this problem. Sadly, depending on Trumpian style climate change denial and pseudoscience isn’t the right answer.

Post #543384 8th Feb 2020 5:30am
Brian Considine

United Kingdom 

Personally I don't see an immediate problem.

With the big fleets getting changed every few years there will be a natural progression to have a higher percentage of cleaner vehicles on the roads.

EV use will also contribute.

Surly, all the changing to LED's everywhere is having similar effects ?

We do not need to be zero this, zero that - as long as we reduce pollution over a reasonable period then nature will take care of what is left. 2003 Range Rover Vogue TD6

Post #543392 8th Feb 2020 9:34am
Red Merle

Have you seen how nature is really struggling to deal with the levels of CO2 that we’ve already released? From ocean acidification, through to changes in ocean currents, migration of fish, increased frequency and intensity of extreme weather events, the melting of permafrost (and the potentially catastrophic positive feedback loop possibilities of methane release) to droughts and the unprecedented wildfire events in Australia to extensive flooding and this is before we’ve even breached the 1.5 degree level?

Like most of us, I’m a petrol(diesel?)head at heart and I love driving my Land Rovers, but we’ve got to understand the consequences and do everything we can to mitigate it; we ain’t doing anything near enough yet Sad

Post #543416 8th Feb 2020 2:53pm
Big Boy R44ROV

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Fuji White

Makes you wonder then why manufacturers don't offer LPG as a production alternative, instead of an aftermarket option. LPG is a by product, usually burned off in production. An LPG fuelled engine is 20 times cleaner than the equivalent diesel, and certainly emits significantly less NOx into the atmosphere. Also in the UK, our baseline power reserve is dwindling rapidly, due to a lot of the nuclear stations coming offline and being decommissioned.
Nuclear has always provided the baseline power reserve, with other forms such as coal, gas, wind providing the rest.
With the onset of HS2 and mass electrification of the railways, us the increased demand for electric powered vehicles, I can foresee a huge business very soon in candles. Tony
You're always in the Censored ........it's just the depth that varies
2011 5.0 Autobiography Fuji White
2019 Audi Q2 in White
04 SL55AMG

Gone:
07 4.2 SC in silver.
06 4.2 SC in black RSE
RRS 4.2 SC in Black RSE
52 4.4 Vogue in silver
04 Mercedes CLK 320 Conv
03 4.0 V8 ES Disco in Silver
00 TD5 90 County
98 4.6 HSE in Epsom x3
97 3.9ES Disco
93 L 4.2 LSE in black
too many classics to mention !
V8 Lightweight
Too many series to mention !
IID for L322

Post #543417 8th Feb 2020 3:43pm
Brian Considine

United Kingdom 

Red Merle wrote:
Have you seen how nature is really struggling to deal with the levels of CO2 that we’ve already released?Sad

Yes I have, clearly you did not read my post properly & take it in context. I repeat, we do not need to go for zero this, zero that, just get C02 (or whatever gas is the weeks bogeyman) down & nature will take care of it.

World climates have been changing since the dawn of time & will continue to do so.

FWIW we do our bit in this household (been recycling paper/cardboard/glass for well over three decades), plan our journeys, go on very few flights, try to eat good nutritious food (not many takeaways) & so on.

We can all point the finger at someone else but there is no need for the current attitudes.

I'm old enough to have seen changes in the weather/climate over a few decade & realistic enough to appreciate that we can reverse the situation & in a few decades without scrapping every fossil fuelled vehicle in sight (what carbon footprint that ?).
I also remember the days when I could travel from Margate (nice fresh sea air) to London for the day (when you could taste the blue/grey haze), end up with a runny nose & look forward to returning to fresh air.

In any case, over my working life I have averaged over 1K miles a week breathing in all these "pollutants" at full strength so by all accounts I should be dead, but then again I don't smoke & drink maybe a few units of alcohol a week. My only real environmental extravagance is my FFRRm & I will not be giving that up.

Personally, I think that this "knee jerk" reaction for alternatives is not being thought out properly, especially the environmental impact of all the mining/manufacturing/distribution of the "brave new all-electric world".

We should be walking towards changing things & looking at what lies round corners, not running before we can see what's round the corners. 2003 Range Rover Vogue TD6

Post #543422 8th Feb 2020 5:01pm
Brian Considine

United Kingdom 

Big Boy R44ROV wrote:
electrification of the railways, us the increased demand for electric powered vehicles, I can foresee a huge business very soon in candles.

Only the main &/or busy lines will be electrified & the reason is running costs & costs alone - once the infrastructure is in place electric locomotives are far more efficient (& thus cheaper to run) than diesel. The railway companies do of course get an opportunity to present themselves as environmentally friendly at the same time. 2003 Range Rover Vogue TD6

Post #543423 8th Feb 2020 5:06pm
rvbush

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Stornoway Grey

The people pushing us down this stupid path are interested in one thing and one thing only, money. In this case it's tax. They have no interest in the 'environment' whatsoever and have no idea what they are talking about with regards to internal combustion engines vs electric and all the challenges that will bring re. infrastructure etc.

Think about it. A few years ago we were all told to buy diesel, we even had nice tax breaks to get us into them. They fell over themselves to make us go diesel. 'It's the environment' they all cried, global warming, CO2, Polar bears floating around on photoshopped ice flows. Huge problem, tax revenues from fuel sales dropped dramatically, damn diesel engines are more fuel efficient, didn't think of that. What can we do about it? Scare them out of their diesels and back into petrol (short term, forget about CO2), up goes tax revenue. Tell them the NoX is killing the, er, planet, they'll buy it. Fund some young kid to go around the world spouting nonsense (who does fund her?)and they'll all believe it. Then tell them all to go electric - we'd look silly if we said to go back to diesel.

They've thought about tax revenue and electric by the way. They're going to make it law that every EV has to be able to communicate with the smart meters that we will be forced into having once they can stop them blowing up. Anyway, it doesn't matter, 2035 is so far in the future politically that they will all be long gone by then and it will be someone elses problem. They only need to think in 5 year blocks of time.

By the way, the UK emits approx 1.5% of global polution, so how much difference is this actually going to make even if you do buy into the climate emergency scare tactics? Drives:
2010 FFRR TdV8 Vogue - Stornoway Grey
2010 FFRR TdV8 Vogue SE - Zermatt Silver
1998 BMW E36 M3 GTII

Post #543449 9th Feb 2020 9:17am
Brian Considine

United Kingdom 

Well said RV.

AFAIK Geta's family own a publishing company.

Anyway, why is she not at school or in some form of useful further education ? 2003 Range Rover Vogue TD6

Post #543450 9th Feb 2020 10:46am
brian1951

2012 Range Rover Westminster 4.4 V8 Orkney Grey

Some commonsense RV well put indeed. Thumbs Up

Post #543454 9th Feb 2020 10:53am
Red Merle

It's easy to see the uphill struggle that climate scientists have against popular opinion! Rolling Eyes

Post #543455 9th Feb 2020 11:07am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>