Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Wheels & Tyres > Refurbished Diamond Cut / Alloy Wheels Thread
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
pld118

Scotland 2014 Range Rover Vogue SDV6 Santorini Black
Refurbished Diamond Cut / Alloy Wheels Thread

Thought it worth starting a thread about refurbishing alloy wheels. This positive experience shows anything is possible. Hassle is sometimes worth the effort Thumbs Up

22" Diamond Cut, Genuine Land Rover Turbine Alloys - Style 7007:

These wheels are expensive (new or used). Even used wheels with kerbing and otherwise in need of refurbishment are expensive to buy (not too many sellers want to barter on these). Proper refurbishment is costly.

Bought one week ago, 3 X genuine diamond cut LR turbine alloys (factory grey inserts) from a chap in one part of the country; and
Bought the fourth - again genuine and identical to the other 3 - from a chap in another part of the country.

None of the diamond cut faces were milking. There was no corrosion on any of the wheels. However, all 4 wheels had scuffs or kerbing on the diamond cut rim edges and scuffs on the diamond cut spokes. The factory grey colour coded inserts were in good condition. The inner rims (colour coded grey) were baked in road grime and dust (think you'd need to take the wheels off to clean the inner rims of turbine alloys).

However, when getting the first batch of 3 turbines home, that sinking feeling arrived with them. All 3 wheels were, by my assessment, very badly kerbed (gouged/ scraped/ scored). At that point, wasn't confident the refurbisher would be able to fix them. Despite the fact I'd already shown him pictures from the seller and the refurbisher was confident he could make good (the seller's vgc threshold was lower than mine).

You also hear stories of diamond cut alloys only being capable of being refurbished once or twice because of the need to use lathe turning equipment to cut into the rims, effectively shaving away the outer rim.

All 4 wheels were dropped off at a recommended diamond cutting alloy wheel refurbisher 7 days ago. When dropping off, they still assured that the damage could be made good, back to factory finish, no trouble. They explained that if they need to be refurbished again in the future, that will also be possible.

One week, later I've just dropped off the new tyres to be put onto the fully refurbished turbines. The work is guaranteed for 12 months. They should be on the car next week. They look to have come up like new, inside and out.

Before pictures (samples of the damage that was on all 4 wheels)

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Newly refurbished pictures
(glare of workshop lights was an issue/ no obvious imperfections in the metal. Updating pictures when wheels on car)

Click image to enlarge

Last edited by pld118 on 22nd Feb 2020 8:09pm. Edited 2 times in total

Post #544822 22nd Feb 2020 4:29pm
GGDR

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Stornoway Grey

They look great.
Thumbs Up
Cost?

. Cheers, Greg
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
2011 Vogue SE 4.4 with lots of toys in Stornaway

Post #544825 22nd Feb 2020 6:00pm
Vogue

United Kingdom 

They look fantastic - you will love them when they are on the RR Thumbs Up 2021 L405 Vogue SE 4.4 V8 DIESEL ~ #17

Post #544829 22nd Feb 2020 7:17pm
supershuttle

England 2013 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Luxor

Yep, I second that, one day I will need to have mine done (they are not as damaged as those shown) and I also worried about what was possible - not anymore Thumbs Up Geoff

Post #544830 22nd Feb 2020 7:20pm
pld118

Cheers all,

The refurbished insides of the rims look amazing, like new also (the very fine LR stamps on the inside remain fully visible too).

Full refurbishment cost was £106 incl. VAT per 22" wheel (includes removal of tyre from alloy wheel, refitting tyres onto refurbished wheel and balancing). I took the wheels to the wheel refurbisher and will collect them too.

Thumbs Up

Post #544834 22nd Feb 2020 8:06pm
Vogue

United Kingdom 

That’s good value - I would be happy paying that - was quoted £155 by a MD for a crappy smart repair 2021 L405 Vogue SE 4.4 V8 DIESEL ~ #17

Post #544841 22nd Feb 2020 9:10pm
pld118

It's a good price.

The place is littered with main dealer forecourt cars with those 'lot number' thingummies that garages hang from the internal rear view mirror. Range Rovers, BMW i8, VWs... Never knew that main dealers paid to have wheels properly repaired Laughing

Post #544853 22nd Feb 2020 10:09pm
Alistair

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Santorini Black

Not too many places are capable of tackling diamond cut alloys - so I guess the dealers options are limited - if they want to sell a premium car, then I guess i's worth the few hundred quid to sort the wheels.

Post #544854 22nd Feb 2020 10:14pm
pld118

pld118 wrote:
The place is littered with main dealer forecourt cars with those 'lot number' thingummies that garages hang from the internal rear view mirror. Range Rovers, BMW i8, VWs... Never knew that main dealers paid to have wheels properly repaired Laughing

The refurbishing company offered to buy the existing 22s that they removed from ours today. They said they wanted them so that they can keep RR customer cars on the road when they take wheels off to refurbish them.

Post #546022 4th Mar 2020 8:22pm
Bl4ckD0g

Netherlands 2010 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Santorini Black

I’ve used BJV Engineering in Flaunden, Herts a few times.

Last time for some BBS RA wheels for my daughters Golf MK2 GTI. She wanted them bespoke and they did an amazing job.

Also used them for our Mercedes GLS AMG 21” and the GLC43 that my wife had for her 21”.

Definitely recommended.
http://www.wheelrefurbishing.co.uk/?doing_...8642578125

Post #546039 4th Mar 2020 10:06pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1