Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Maintenance & Mods (L405) > Corroded side step - my experience
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
ABAB

United Kingdom 2016 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Loire Blue
Corroded side step - my experience

I’ve got a 2016 car which with deployable steps from new.

Some of the surface covering has delaminated recently which I’m guessing was exacerbated by motorway surface water forced up to the underside of the steps and peeling away the surface.

My car is 3 and a half years old. Out of original LR warranty but covered by extended warranty. LR did not want anything to do with this side step problem, in fact they side stepped away from it very neatly. Even though there’s a TSB on this very point...

My local dealer estimated £600 or so just for a new step for one side, excluding fitting.

So, having read a few posts here I consulted a couple of body shops with a view to getting the surface of the corroded step retreated.

One of these advised me not to attempt to paint the step as (1) it was originally powder coated and not painted and (2) any paint treatment would not last long given the harsh conditions on the underside of the car.

Some good news came when I put in a call to one of the site sponsors here to enquire about costs for a new step. Significantly less than the £600 I thought I might face.

It took me quite a while to remove the old step. I wasn’t 100% sure of how it fitted on to the deployable arms but after removing the 4x5mm hex bolts the old step came off. I suspect that the joint between the old step and the arms might have slightly corroded which made it difficult. A few taps with a rubber mallet helped.

At this stage I realised that the new step has a revised design in a couple of respects. First, it’s a single item throughout its length, rather than the original which has end caps. Secondly and more important to me it seems to be sleeved in plastic which I’m hoping will mean it lasts longer than the original. I’ve included a photo here of the new and old versions.

Hope this helps others who might face a similar experience.

Click image to enlarge
 2016 SDV8 AB

Post #546284 7th Mar 2020 1:14pm
stan
Site Moderator

Location: a moderate moderated moderator moderating moderately in moderation

United Kingdom 

Thumbs Up ... - .- -.

click link for ,

FORUM WIKI

HOW TO Ǝꓕ∀ꓕOꓤ PICS

workshop manual downloads are in our wiki

Post #546309 7th Mar 2020 4:30pm
ABAB

United Kingdom 2016 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

The only point I’d add to this is that I kicked myself for not checking for corrosion on the underside of the side steps before the original 3 year warranty expired as I’m guessing I’d have stood a very good chance of replacement by LR as there is a TSB on this issue. Oh well, live and learn.

If you’ve got the powder coated steps and are still in warranty, I’d urge you to check. 2016 SDV8 AB

Post #546758 11th Mar 2020 8:17am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1