Home > Maintenance & Mods (L322) > Battery questions
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
J90

France 2006 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Java Black
Battery questions

Mods if this is in the wrong section feel free to move it πŸ™‚
I'm using a a solar charging panel to top up my battery, but I'm not convinced it's working. I've checked the fuse in the 'plug' and it looks OK. Can someone suggest a method that I can use to determine that it's charging the battery. Please don't suggest I start the car.πŸ™‚
If I buy a multimeter would it be of any use?
My other battery question concerns the use of the Ctek chargers. If I keep the car connected to the Ctek every time I return from using the car, will it be detrimental to the battery.
Many thanks for any advice/info you can give me. Travelling around in circles again.

Post #548524 28th Mar 2020 11:08am
J90

If I don't respond immediately to any replies, it's only because I've got to nip out for a couple of hours. Ta. Travelling around in circles again.

Post #548526 28th Mar 2020 11:21am
Weegie

Scotland 2008 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Stornoway Grey

With a multimeter you will be able to check the voltage that the panel is putting out. Bear in mind that the small ones are really only for trickle charging. Also check that it has a blocking diode in line. Otherwise at night the charge will be draining out of the battery via the solar panel.

If you don't already have a multimeter (a useful tool to have in any case) you could make up a simple test using a bulb and a couple of wires. It won't give you the voltage but would indicate if there is a charge going out.

The CTEK is a smart charger and can be safely left connected when the car is not in use.

PS. Did you ever use Jon Davis? John
2008 Stornoway Grey 3.6 Tdv8 Vogue
2005 TD6 Java Black Vogue - Written off!!
GAP iiD BT
2003 Discovery TD5 Auto, Nanocom Evolution - gone to a new home!
MasseyFerguson 152 - No electronics!! - Sold

Post #548528 28th Mar 2020 11:27am
J90

Thanks for the info Weegie.
Firstly I do know a Jon Davis down here in Lot et Garonne. He has a transport company. Fine bloke. Are we talking about the same one?
I've been using my Ctek but I'd rather use the solar charger for day to day top up.
It's the largest one that maplins sold, about 3ft x 1ft in size. As you say I could connect it up to a lamp but I want to check that it is actually charging the battery in situ.
If I buy a multi meter can I connect it to the battery in situ and identify a 'reading' that confirms the solar charger is topping up the battery? Travelling around in circles again.

Post #548536 28th Mar 2020 12:29pm
ur20v

A Trap 

You need to check the battery at rest voltage, this means no charge or drains etc for a couple of hours, check the voltage which should be ~12.5v for a normal flooded lead acid battery and ~13v for AGM when fully charged then added your solar panel and see if the voltage increases to between 13.5 and 14.5v range.

If the charge voltage is to high (over 14v) don’t leave the panel connected for days or you will over charge the battery and kill it.

What size solar panel is it, what is the voltage and watts output?

Without a multimeter you will be just guessing. Lots of tutorials on using multimeters, vehicle battery charging etc on YouTube to help.

I personally would just use your CTEK unit as it automatically adjust charge to match battery condition and cannot damage the battery.

Post #548541 28th Mar 2020 12:48pm
Weegie

Scotland 2008 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Stornoway Grey

The Jon Davis I meant was the one I suggested to you for car servicing at Mareuil Ouest.

If you check the solar panel output using the solar panel disconnected from the battery and it is showing a voltage then it confirms that it is capable of charging the battery. It depends also on the condition and state of charge of the battery whether it is accepting a charge or not.

I would also disconnect the solar panel from the battery, leave it for a short time to let it stabilise and then check the battery voltage with the multimeter. Then with the solar panel re-attached check for a voltage difference.

However, the CTEK on its own is the best bet.

PS. As per ur20v above. John
2008 Stornoway Grey 3.6 Tdv8 Vogue
2005 TD6 Java Black Vogue - Written off!!
GAP iiD BT
2003 Discovery TD5 Auto, Nanocom Evolution - gone to a new home!
MasseyFerguson 152 - No electronics!! - Sold

Post #548543 28th Mar 2020 1:08pm
J90

Thank you Weegie and thank you UR20v for your advice.
During the lockdown here in France, I'll only be using the car once a week, so I was just trying to identify the best method to keep the battery topped up without any detrimental effect on the battery..
Anyway thanks for the suggestions.πŸ‘ Travelling around in circles again.

Post #548546 28th Mar 2020 1:49pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1