Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Maintenance & Mods (L405) > Battery Conditioner
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 5 <12345>
Print this entire topic · 
Alistair

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Santorini Black

I checked the WM - its the first document in the Electrical > Batteries section.

As to be expected I suppose, it only references what I assume are commercial units - there are 4 models named.

However, it does show that for the L405 the under bonnet posts are the correct places to connect to.

Post #548655 29th Mar 2020 11:02am
Fleagle_UK

United Kingdom 2014 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Luxor

Thumbs Up

Post #548657 29th Mar 2020 11:08am
Ocean53

United Kingdom 2018 Range Rover Vogue SDV6 Corris Grey

What’s the positive post under the bonnet?
Does this mean I can attach a maintenance charger to this and not remove the dog guard in the load space?

Post #548829 30th Mar 2020 2:11pm
Alistair

Yes - the positive post under a cover & the negative post next to it are the ones to use.

Post #548831 30th Mar 2020 2:14pm
Ocean53

United Kingdom 2018 Range Rover Vogue SDV6 Corris Grey

Thank you all.
I ‘think’ I’m connected up ok! Just hope it puts juice into and not out of battery.

Post #548843 30th Mar 2020 3:25pm
Lyonhead

Wales 2019 Range Rover SVAutobiography 5.0 SC V8 Loire Blue

Alistair wrote:
Ocean53 wrote:
Thanks
Amazon no delivery before 25/4

Amazon have deprioritised everything they consider non-essential.

However, there are other sellers on Amazon who will deliver sooner.....

https://www.amazon.co.uk/CTEK-MXS-5-0-Reco...amp;sr=8-2

Hi Alistair, ordered on the 28th and delivered today (30th). All fitted.

Thanks for the info. Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Bow down 19MY SVA-Dynamic Spectral Chromoflair Blue but colour not available in profile
2016 RRS SVR Estoril Blue - Gone
2010 RRS 5.0 Supercharged Navara Bronze - Gone
2008 RRS 4.2 Supercharged Black - Gone
2006 RRS 2.7 Diesel Rimini Red- Gone

Post #548904 30th Mar 2020 10:34pm
SCL

England 2015 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Causeway Grey

I am looking to buy a battery conditioner after having a flat battery earlier in the week as a result of not using the car.

Having read various posts on the forum Ctek seem to be a popular choice. However, I am confused after looking at the Ctek website as to which model would be best suited- MXS 5, 7 or 10. Any suggestions welcomed.

Some users have connected their conditioner to the main battery in the boot and others to the terminals under the bonnet. Is it also possible to connect to the smaller battery on the right hand side in the boot? What are the pros and cons to each? Do I need to buy any accessories at the time of purchase such as a connect extension as my electrical plug sockets are at the rear of the garage. I reverse and park the car in the garage every day so a solar panel accessory is not suitable. I don’t have tow bar connections I can plug into.

With any of the connection methods will I be able to fully close the boot / bonnet and lock the car?

Apologies for all the questions but this is the first time I have ever needed to buy a conditioner and just want to make sure I buy the correct one and not damage the car when I fit it.

Many thanks

SCL You can't swim uphill in custard all the time, sometimes you just have to go with the flow.

Post #549210 3rd Apr 2020 8:24am
Alistair

MXS 5 seems fine for me - I'm sure there's a benefit to the bigger & more expensive ones.

The Workshop Manual shows battery chargers connecting to the posts under the bonnet - it doesn't specifically say not to do anything else.

AFAIK, the bonnet posts connect directly to the main battery, so probably little practical difference - other than having to remove the spare wheel to get to the main battery.....

The mains cable is about 1.5 - 2m long - so yes, you'd need some sort of extension lead.

The CTEK comes with a set of crocodile clips and also a lead that can be hard wired to the battery terminals. I use the later. It's also possible to buy CTEK extension lead - so I guess you could hard wire to the battery in the boot & then add an extension lead so that the connector is in the boot area - then run your charger from there to the plug in the garage.

I can close my bonnet & still have a cable running out - not tried it on the boot.

I've not tested whether the 2 batteries connect together when charging - must get round to that....

Post #549211 3rd Apr 2020 8:35am
SCL

Alistair

Many thanks for your prompt reply and helpful comments. Bow down

Now off to source a MXS 5 that is readily available rather having to wait weeks for it to be delivered.

Regards

Steve You can't swim uphill in custard all the time, sometimes you just have to go with the flow.

Post #549212 3rd Apr 2020 9:14am
mjdronfield

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Buckingham Blue

I’ve got the 7. No issues for many years. It also has an AGM setting, which is what we need.

Mines mainly used as a maintainer when the car isn’t being used for a bit. I use the towing electrics to connect up, so I can lock the car.

As far as charging a dead battery, the 5 will take longer....the 10 will do it faster.

That said, I think there are limits to what each can do, so if you have a big battery that’s really dead... 5 might struggle.

I’m sure it would maintain the battery fine though.

Thumbs Up 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE 4.4 TDV8

Previous cars :
2003 Range Rover Vogue TD6
1999 Discovery Td5 ES
1995 BMW M5 3.8 6 speed
1992 Range Rover 3.9 Efi Vogue
1992 BMW M5 3.8
1988 BMW 735i SE
1989 Ford Sierra XR4x4 2.9i
1981 Ford Fiesta Supersport

Post #549213 3rd Apr 2020 9:17am
Alistair

Good point - I can't remember the size of the battery - I think it's probably close to 110Ah though so towards the top end of spec for a full charge but fine for maintenance

This is the spec

The updated CTEK MXS 5.0 is a battery charger that offers state of the art technology that was previously only found in CTEKs professional product range. It is a compact, fully automatic 8-step battery charger that delivers a selectable 0.8A or 5.0A to 12V batteries from 1.2 to 110Ah, and it can also be used for maintenance charging up to 160Ah. The unique display allows you to follow the entire charging process.

Post #549216 3rd Apr 2020 9:43am
ur20v

A Trap 

If running long extension leads I would spec a higher output unit than the 5amp model, you get a voltage drop with long cables also the very large batteries used in ff’s have a high internal resistance and will need a very high load when flat to charge, again a 10 or 15 amp unit will be needed to get you going in a reasonable time, a 5 amp unit might take 48hrs plus to charge a fully flat ff.

It all depends on what you need, if you are still doing regular long journeys and don’t use all the toys (heated steering wheel, screens, seats etc) then a small unit like a CTEK 5 might cope or if you can put the tender on every night it should keep up and keep the battery fresh.

If you have had flat battery/charging issues already and if you need to get going in a hurry a much bigger unit is required.nThis is why the ‘commercial’ units are much bigger outputs where time is the main concern.

Hope that helps.

Post #549218 3rd Apr 2020 9:51am
Ian58

2018 Range Rover Vogue TDV6 Corris Grey

Just purchased a CTEK MXS 5.0 from Partshop247 (eBay) ordered Tuesday, arrived Wednesday. I removed the spare wheel to connect straight across the battery, I can't believe the epic that was, or the weight of the wheel once it was out!!!....won't be doing that again to charge the vehicle. I have now checked the posts under the bonnet and the croc clips will connect laying flat so the bonnet can be closed ok. I took the cable out through the scuttle area with no problems of cable trapping. There is a CTEK Accessory extension cable available (56-304) that is 2.5m long that I think will make the job easier so will be ordering one.
The unit has also charged the wife's GLA 250 so happy days. Thumbs Up

Post #549219 3rd Apr 2020 9:52am
SCL

Many thanks mjdronfield

That car started first time when Greenflag hooked up their cables. Took it for a 15 mile drive and delivered essential supplies to elderly parents and then it started fine the following day. So hoping it a not dead battery.

The car is now likely to stay in the garage and only come out once a week to deliver food to the parents as we are their carers. It is only a 4 or 5 mile round trip hence my need for the conditioner. I am aware of the potential DPF issues so may have to give it a quick blast down the dual carriageway on the way back home

Steve You can't swim uphill in custard all the time, sometimes you just have to go with the flow.

Post #549221 3rd Apr 2020 10:27am
SCL

ur20v and Ian58 many thanks for your valuable input. Much appreciated.

Post #549223 3rd Apr 2020 10:34am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 5 <12345>