Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Technical (L322) > Fuel Burning Heater - Range Rover Vogue 3.6L V8 Diesel
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Konstantin

Bulgaria 
Fuel Burning Heater - Range Rover Vogue 3.6L V8 Diesel

Hi,

I have been trying to get the fuel burning heater to work for some days but with no success.

I have Range Rover Vogue 3.6L 272HP V8 Diesel 2007 Left Driving.

Basically from what I have read in the manuals and on the internet I should just supply +12 Volts on pin 1 from the 6 pin connector. As long as there is a positive voltage on that pin the fuel burning heater is supposed to run.

Another important point is that the fuel burning heater can be turned on upon certain conditions:
The ambient temperature should be below 5 degrees Celsius.
The car should be in sleep mode.
The coolant should be below a certain temperature.

I am not completely sure about the conditions, maybe I am missing something.

Could you tell if this is correct and whether there are more conditions that I have to take into account?

I do not have the receiver for the Telestart installed nor the remote control. I just want to see if the logic works and then I will perhaps try to implement an Arduino with an RF module. The signal for turning the heater on is planned to be the low beam signal. I will program the 3rd button on the key fob to turn the low beam headlights on. Then depending on the time the headlights have been turned on the Arduino will turn the fuel burning heater on probably through a relay.
Another possibility is to get an RF Module and a remote control which will send a signal to the RF Module that will send the signal to the Arduino.

Firstly, I tried to turn the heater on at an ambient temperature of 14 degrees Celsius. Then I realized that perhaps it did not turn on because the ambient temperature was high.

My second try was at an ambient temperature of 0 degrees Celsius. This time I expected the heater to turn on but unfortunately no success.

I heard that if I try to turn the heater on and fail certain number of times, the heater is blocked. I am not sure if I blocked it, I hope I did not.

The only thing that I cannot see is what type of model my heater is. I guess it is Webasto but I do not know the exact model. I assume it is Webasto Thermo Top C. The problem is that the heater is located in above the right wheel arch and I have to disassemble the wheel arch liner to get to the heater.

Another important point is that I cannot use the Diagnostic program to check the model since I do not have the wire for the diagnostic(pin 2 on the 6 pin connector) terminated in the car. I do not know if I can do it via the Diagnostic plug(OBD II) which is on the driver side.

And I know that the Diagnostic is implemented via the K-Line Protocol or the so called W-Bus. Some heater models are also controlled via the K-Line Protocol which is digital not analog control like my heater is supposed to.

I guess I have this heater in the Range Rover:
Webasto Thermo Top C Workshop Manual

Here is some reference data:

Receiver - it says that it outputs a battery power feed the heater which is basically +12 Volts if I am not mistaken. I do not think that I could be 0 Volts.

This is the circuit diagram. Basically I have a 6 pin connector with wires in pins - 1, 3, 6.

This is the connector diagram. The connector is C2046.

Best Regards

Last edited by Konstantin on 1st Apr 2020 8:31pm. Edited 3 times in total

Post #549091 1st Apr 2020 4:40pm
dolph34

Ireland 2015 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Corris Grey

Hi , did you try and run it from the touch screen ? The receiver can be retro fitted , the wiring is pre installed, you only have to add an aieral. 2015 4.4 AB
GSXR 1000 K5
R1 1998

Post #549096 1st Apr 2020 5:01pm
Konstantin

Bulgaria 

dolph34 wrote:
Hi , did you try and run it from the touch screen ? The receiver can be retro fitted , the wiring is pre installed, you only have to add an aieral.

Hi,
I do not have the option on the touch screen display fitted.

Post #549097 1st Apr 2020 5:02pm
dolph34

Ireland 2015 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Corris Grey

Do you have an IID tool or similar that can activate the option on the touch screen ? 2015 4.4 AB
GSXR 1000 K5
R1 1998

Post #549099 1st Apr 2020 5:11pm
kimlahti

Finland 2008 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Alaska White

There is +12V supplied in C2046 pin 1 and that needs to be connected to pin 3 to make FBH request permission to start heating from HEVAC/IHKA module via k-line. When park heating is coded and all conditions are met permission to heat is granted. -08 3.6 Vogue
-87 951

Post #549108 1st Apr 2020 7:18pm
Konstantin

Bulgaria 

dolph34 wrote:
Do you have an IID tool or similar that can activate the option on the touch screen ?

No, I do not have this tool. I did not know that you can activate this option on the touch screen display so easily. I thought that the touch screen display ECU should be flashed with an update in order to get that option.

kimlahti wrote:
There is +12V supplied in C2046 pin 1 and that needs to be connected to pin 3 to make FBH request permission to start heating from HEVAC/IHKA module via k-line. When park heating is coded and all conditions are met permission to heat is granted.

This is the exact procedure I am following. I just short circuit pin 1 to pin 3 on the C2046 connector but nothing seems to be happening. I measured pin 1 and pin 6 on the C2046 connector and I have 12 Volts there, therefore no problem with the wires. A bit of a surprise for me is that when I measured the voltage between pin 1 and pin 3 I got 12 Volts as well. I am not sure if the voltage is supposed to be measured between those two pins when not connected. Perhaps, pin 3 is 0 Volts when not connected and that is why I get a voltage potential there.

Post #549113 1st Apr 2020 8:22pm
kds2

England 2008 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Stornoway Grey

As @kimlahti has put if you bridge between pin 1 and 3 on connector c2046 then fbh will run if all other conditions are met but and this the but park heating must have been enabled in the ccf or it will not work, on the dash screen if you have aux heat/vent showing then it is enabled and the fbh should run on the other hand if you only have aux vent then no it hasnt and you will need to have it programmed in, best check out what you have on the dash before you go any further.

Post #549116 1st Apr 2020 9:12pm
Konstantin

Bulgaria 

kds2 wrote:
As @kimlahti has put if you bridge between pin 1 and 3 on connector c2046 then fbh will run if all other conditions are met but and this the but park heating must have been enabled in the ccf or it will not work, on the dash screen if you have aux heat/vent showing then it is enabled and the fbh should run on the other hand if you only have aux vent then no it hasnt and you will need to have it programmed in, best check out what you have on the dash before you go any further.

I am sorry but I did not understand what you mean with dash screen. Do you mean the touch screen display or the instrument cluster?

I am confused where to look for aux heat/vent.

If you talk about the touch screen display, as I said above I do not have the option for the auxiliary heater timer. Basically, the rectangular box where the label for heating is supposed to be is missing.

If we assume that I do not have the function programmed, is this IID Tool the only chance to get the function intro the car configuration file. It is kind of expensive method to do it. Therefore I should buy this IID Tool only to activate this option. Are there any other possibilities to implement this function?

Post #549118 1st Apr 2020 9:41pm
kimlahti

Finland 2008 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Alaska White

You can always replace the k-line controlled webasto thermotop c with regular model and then it will not request anything from heater control module. Wink -08 3.6 Vogue
-87 951

Post #549123 1st Apr 2020 10:16pm
kds2

Yes I mean on the touch screen display, if you look on Gap Diagnostics web site you can find out what needs to be reprogrammed I printed off the information for my model then found a garage with the diagnostics to do the programming for me ( if I remember it was in 3 ecu`s ) it will then appear on the touch screen display as aux heat/vent along with timer options , park heating fires the fbh opens certain cabin vents and the fan on a slow speed. I used a simple Vellman radio remote wired into c2046 the range is limited but I push the button on the remote in the house to fire it up while putting shoes and coat on, I believe you can get a kit that senses a mobile phone screen lighting up when it gets a signal to then bring park heating on but that would mean having something like a pay as go mobile phone wired in near the rear fuse board all the time. I hope that all helps a little having been on this quest myself in the past.

Post #549131 2nd Apr 2020 12:45am
Konstantin

Bulgaria 

Unnecessary quote removed

Thank you for your response.

I found this on Gap Diagnostic web site and I guess you are talking about the same car configuration files that have to updated.

It is a bit weird for that this function was not activated by the manufacturer since the fuel burning heater is installed anyway. Basically, the model is equipped with a fuel burning heater but it is now allowed to use it in the program. Probably the heater only fires when the car is running to help the coolant reach high temperature.

And one last question - is this the only way of activating this function, I mean there is no other way that it can be accomplished?

Post #549140 2nd Apr 2020 10:20am
kds2

I have a 2004 non touch screen model but as you have found it has to be enabled in more than one place and can take up to 24 hours for it to appear on the screen, had to do a battery reset on mine for it to come up. On the diesels the fbh fires up to help bring engine up to temp quicker on mine I know the gauge has to be way out of the blue before it cuts out. As for remote operation no doubt if you look you might come across the proper receiver and remote which would simply plug in to c2046 connector as for the cost they are far more than I was willing to pay the Vellman kit works good enough for me, I found on the internet one guy fitted a wifi receiver in to the car connected to his home wifi and had an app on his phone to switch park heating on, google Velleman mmk160 I think it is if you fancy trying the mobile phone way but you need to get park heating enabled in car ccf before any option will work.

Post #549201 3rd Apr 2020 12:11am
Brian Considine

United Kingdom 

Konstantin wrote:
Unnecessary quote removed

Sometimes, I feel like I'm back at school - the main difference is that at school the red comments were in the margins.

Some people have far too much time on their hands. 2003 Range Rover Vogue TD6

Post #549231 3rd Apr 2020 12:49pm
stan
Site Moderator

Location: a moderate moderated moderator moderating moderately in moderation

United Kingdom 

to put you at ease Brian, the reason why the quote was removed [unfortunate colour for you] is that Konstantin quoted kds2's entire post which i removed for the reading fluency of the thread...........

and, as you are delivering stock to shops may thank you for your efforts... ... - .- -.

click link for ,

FORUM WIKI

HOW TO Ǝꓕ∀ꓕOꓤ PICS

workshop manual downloads are in our wiki

Post #549245 3rd Apr 2020 2:43pm
kds2

No comments in the margin when I was at school, took far to long with hammer and chisel on stone tablets !

Post #549282 3rd Apr 2020 9:21pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>