Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Maintenance & Mods (L405) > 2017 Vogue Distance to service plumetting
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
D.Sloan

United Kingdom 2017 Range Rover Vogue TDV6 Firenze Red
2017 Vogue Distance to service plumetting

We bought our late 2017 3.0 Vogue in late February. On handover, the car indicated a service requirement imminently which should have been picked up in the pre-handover check! Nonetheless it was serviced and the indicator showed approximately 8300 miles to next service which was in line with the 13k kms quoted in the hand book. They advised that the service was required as a result of oil dilution which I understand this engine can suffer from depending upon how the car is driven.
We have since driven it 430 miles, all longish journeys - a couple in excess of 120 miles, 2 approximately 50 miles and 2 at approx 35 miles. It is not used for short runs, or around town.
It was parked up 5 weeks ago and the distance to service showed 7500 miles at that time.
Today, we took it out for the first time since it was parked and drove for 35 miles, 20 miles at NSL limits but 15 miles at the end at motorway speeds. The distance to next service is now showing as 6000 miles (flashing).
So it appears that the distance to service has counted down 2300 miles over a distance driven of 430 miles.
This is of concern because if this trend continues, it will need servicing every 2-3000 miles. As an aside, we have had no dpf indications at all.
This is our third Range Rover, although the first L405.
Any advice would be much appreciated, before I try to contact the dealer.
Apologies for the long post!
Many Thanks
Dave

Post #551017 19th Apr 2020 8:39pm
diesel Dave

England 2015 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

Hi Dave. I have a 4.4 that has done the same. Don’t have the figures as you do but definitely going down quicker than the mileage I’m doing so will be interested in responses from others. Dave.

Post #551025 19th Apr 2020 9:02pm
Alistair

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Santorini Black

This may help

https://www.fullfatrr.com/forum/topic47263.html

Post #551028 19th Apr 2020 9:14pm
D.Sloan

Thanks very much for the quick replies.
I did discuss oil dilution with the dealer when it was serviced and he put the initial early requirement down to the previous owner doing short journeys and it being moved around the pitch for a few weeks.
It sounds like a major design flaw from reading that thread and some of the technical data.
However, we genuinely don’t use the car for short runs. Further it has counted down 1500 miles in one 35 mile journey at between 60 and 70 mph which I cannot get my head around.
Does anyone know if the miles count down while the car stands. It would seem illogical to me but...

Post #551030 19th Apr 2020 9:36pm
Dolphinboy

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Atacama Sand

Hi OP. The service counter works on different criteria: time (1 yr)/miles (16,000?)/oil dilution (trigger level is over 7) etc. I wouldn't put too much store in your dealer's answer. Its not caused by short journeys but by over-fuelling as part of the DPF forced Regeneration process.

Oil dilution is (I believe) a major symptom of the normal regeneration of the DPF not being allowed to occur on your NSL trips and thus brings on Restricted Performance (RP) although not in your case (yet!). It brings up premature service warnings due to fuel in oil dilution as the car pumps in fuel to raise the exhaust temps to initiate a forced regeneration of the DPF. The critical level for oil dilution is 7. When it gets above that it triggers an early oil service request or initiates a quicker countdown.

Mine (a 2011 4.4 TDV8) was reading a dilution level of 12 when I got RP and red warnings for DPF etc.!! I immediately changed oil and filter and managed to clear the red DPf warning and Restricted Performance (RP). Car was fine for months after. I had only been doing long motorway trips of 50 miles or more.

Ultimately, despite the long trips, my probs came back due to the inlet manifold being cracked (a well-known issue in the TDV6 3.0L engine apparently. It's all over the jag and disco forums) which led to the DPF filling up too quickly. I had it cleaned and replaced the manifold. Car all good now.

I would get any software updates done as per the referenced forum post and have a hi pressure smoke test done on the air intake system. this may uncover a leak and pre-empt any DPF/RP issues.

I would also get an IID tool or get the garage to give you the current readings for oil in fuel dilution, DPF soot levels etc.

Good luck.

Last edited by Dolphinboy on 19th Apr 2020 10:53pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #551036 19th Apr 2020 10:33pm
D.Sloan

Hi Dolphinboy
Many thanks for this, most useful info.
My car has only 16k on the clock and is still under original 3 year manufacturers warranty so I will try to get in touch with the dealer. They told me, twice, that all software updates had been done and I do have a print out of those to compare to the updates mentioned in the various posts.
Cheers
Dave

Post #551040 19th Apr 2020 10:48pm
Dolphinboy

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Atacama Sand

yeah I know dealers say a lot of things. unless you know and trust them, take everything with a pinch of salt or ask for evidence.

For example my local dealer told me my ABS module was FUBAR'd and needed replacing at £1000!! I checked and they hadn't even taken of the plug to inspect it. I took ou the connector, cleaned the prongs and everything back to normal. needless to say they never got any business from my 3 FFRRs.

Post #551042 19th Apr 2020 10:58pm
D.Sloan

Not good at all, that!
I will have a look at the print out tomorrow and compare that to the list then ring the dealer, if there is anyone there!
Thanks for your help.
Dave

Post #551044 19th Apr 2020 11:07pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1