Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > My Range Rover > ‘Massive Car’ my 07 Tonga Green TDV8 Vogue Experience...
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Chapeau! Velo

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Tonga Green
‘Massive Car’ my 07 Tonga Green TDV8 Vogue Experience...

I bought this on a bit of a whim last Jul as project car. My last project car was a Jag XJ (X350) and that happily did the weekly commute up the A3 to work. I changed jobs so I thought I’d do something new in the vehicle dept.

I always fancied a FFRR and I particularly liked the L322 owing to its retro looks so when a Tonga green 3.6 TDV8 popped up at an auction I thought I’d take a punt! I must admit, I broke every car buying rule out there, I didn’t inspect it properly; it had 130k on the clock and a patchy service history; brake discs were obviously done in with corrosion; there were more lights and warnings on the dash than notifications from Donald Trumps twitter account and the air con didn’t work. On the positive, it was all there (inc the parcel shelf) the Tonga bodywork was rot and damage free (albeit filthy) and the sand interior wasn’t that bad (again filthy). Plus it had 6 months mot so I could drive it home.

The hammer price with commission was really really cheap, so cheap in fact that it’s recycling value was probably more - so what did I have to lose! Rolling with laughter

Here’s an early picture, post jet wash I might add - I find the country, un pimped look quite endearing; especially when I found out that the Queen has one in the same colour way Cool

The 200 mike drive home was interesting, it was clearly underpowered and sweltering (no air con) and it had an odd sticky ignition on start up which produced the random error code generator - no two error codes appeared the same! That and half the interior trim fell off (I exaggerate slightly, just the housing around the rear view mirror, the sunroof rubber on opening and a disintegrating seat belt buckle housing).

On closer inspection, the reason why this vehicle was underpowered was the rather predictable turbo issue: carbonated veins and the actuator not cycling on the LHS turbo. I think the previous owner just gave up on it and probably traded it to get rid, this would also account for the knackered brakes owing to being unused which ties in with the MOT history and mileage.

Anyhow, I thought that this old girl was too good for the recyclers so decided to keep her and forged on. Fortunately (!) it was only the LHS turbo that was stuck and it hadn’t affected the rest of the power train - out it came, and in went a recon one with some new intercooler hoses and away we went. New pads and disks all round was next with new brake hoses on the rear and the sticky ignition switch was just that, a sticky ignition switch, that’s been changed and we are all, seemingly, warning free (for now). The air con intercooler has a leak so refrigerant gas is all over the road somewhere but I’ll try and get that sorted next week.

The car probably owes me just over 6k (inc purchase price) in the first year if ownership, that includes a full service and a new set of wheels that Tinman kindly sold me last week. It’s my children’s favourite car (they call it massive car (we have big car and little car too)) and my wife’s face is always priceless when I tell her that something else is broken - she just wishes I would stick to tinkering with retro bicycles vice cars. Anyhow, a pic below with my new 21” rims - hopefully not too OTT as I want to keep this relatively reserved, it is green (and did I mention that the Queen has one....) after all.

Last edited by Chapeau! Velo on 21st Aug 2021 11:41pm. Edited 5 times in total

Post #558780 23rd Jun 2020 9:47pm
mjdronfield

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Buckingham Blue

They look well in green. If it’s good enough for Her Majesty.....

Thumbs Up 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE 4.4 TDV8

Previous cars :
2003 Range Rover Vogue TD6
1999 Discovery Td5 ES
1995 BMW M5 3.8 6 speed
1992 Range Rover 3.9 Efi Vogue
1992 BMW M5 3.8
1988 BMW 735i SE
1989 Ford Sierra XR4x4 2.9i
1981 Ford Fiesta Supersport

Post #558781 23rd Jun 2020 10:04pm
Haylands

England 2014 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

Very Nice... Thumbs Up Pete

2002 L322 Vogue 4.4 V8 Epson Green, Ivory over Aspen Interior (Fatty Offroader) Sold
-Click for Project Fatty off roader-

Post #558783 23rd Jun 2020 10:22pm
gettingold

United Kingdom 

Lovely car and a great write up. Not sure on those rims though. Just saying Mr. Green visiting from www.rrsport.co.uk

Post #558791 24th Jun 2020 5:42am
TomV8

United Kingdom 2004 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Bonatti Grey

Fantastic car, thanks for writing about it. Great that you are giving it the TLC to get it sorted. Very best of luck with it. 2004 L322 4.4 V8 Vogue Bonatti Grey
(205,500 miles and counting.......)

Post #558792 24th Jun 2020 6:12am
Chapeau! Velo

Thanks guys, i must admit that there are plenty of old pros on here that know their way around an L322 and are happy to share their experience. I’m not one of them! I don’t really know one end of a spanner from another and even if I did I wouldn’t have the time or capacity to do anything about it!

So cheers to all the enthusiasts out there who need to throw hope (and some money) at a problem and still enjoy messing about in their cars - Be it a necessary daily driver, a concourse showpiece or, at my end of the spectrum, a total pile that you hope won’t bankrupt you by the weekend. Indeed, I look forward to spending money on fuel in the vein hope I might drive it somewhere other than the garage! Very Happy

Post #558892 24th Jun 2020 7:02pm
Sandyt

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Supercharged 4.2 SC V8 Buckingham Blue

Enjoy I have nearly 200k on mine still makes me smile and love the fact that your children like it Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

Post #558913 24th Jun 2020 8:01pm
Chapeau! Velo

The thing that was bugging me about the rear aspect of the car was the TDV8 badge. Chrome lettering on a sparkle silver background just doesn’t work on a green car that sports a dark grey Vogue, bonnet and tailgate RR lettering; it just jars. Only one thing for it:

Halfords rattle can and 30 mins effort later, and:

BOOM! one dark grey TDV8 badge - not a precise colour match but good enough for govt work. Apologies for the dirty rear end and the reflection that reveals all of the Censored that needs taken to the tip. Rolling Eyes

Last edited by Chapeau! Velo on 25th Jun 2020 10:04pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #559035 25th Jun 2020 7:45pm
Tinman

United Kingdom 2017 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Silicon Silver

Looks very nice Thumbs Up

Post #559054 25th Jun 2020 9:42pm
Gyre8

England 2006 Range Rover Vogue SE 4.4 V8 Tonga Green

Mine says hello.

Post #559060 25th Jun 2020 10:24pm
Chapeau! Velo

Hmm, swirl wheels look good. I like those side steps too.

Post #559078 26th Jun 2020 6:37am
Chapeau! Velo

I installed some car shades fitted blinds to the rear 3/4 of the car today (no sun protection glass). I must say, I am really impressed. They fit snug and work well - which surprised me as I half expected them to be a PITA to fit and would look totally Censored once done. Pleasantly surprised. Thumbs Up

Last edited by Chapeau! Velo on 29th Jun 2020 8:54pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #559528 29th Jun 2020 7:08pm
Bl4ckD0g

Netherlands 2010 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Santorini Black

Looks like a future classic. Great colour combination; only one where I like beige seats and see through windows.

Very classy.

Post #559545 29th Jun 2020 8:39pm
Chapeau! Velo

I put the supercharged grill on and now I’m not so sure. Should I swop back to the original 4 bar version? I must admit, I do like the 21” 405 wheels in that style vice the originals.

Post #559548 29th Jun 2020 8:53pm
Philip

2019 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Aintree Green

The solid bar grille is much nicer.

Post #559554 29th Jun 2020 9:06pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>