Home > Maintenance & Mods (L322) > Weird clunks & gearbox flush
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
jcoops

United Kingdom 2009 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Bonatti Grey
Weird clunks & gearbox flush

Hi guys,

A couple of questions if you don't mind.

Firstly, my 2009 L322 TC V8 is due for a MOT/service in July, it is currently on circa 83,000 miles and I was wondering if it is worth doing a gearbox flush? I know these cars can have issues with the transmission and wanted to think about some preventative maintenance.

Secondly, a bit of a weird one and hard to describe. I've noticed that when slowing down followed by sudden acceleration (eg pulling out into a road) the gearbox (i think) does a substantial clunk. It feels like something is slipping in the gearbox and then biting with a substantial increase in acceleration. I appreciate this is hard to describe so I will try and detail an example:

Coming up to a roundabout at 50mph, break down to 10mph, see that nothing is coming, remove foot from break and accelerate into the roundabout. When applying the accelerator it takes circa 1 second of no power, then a clunk / jolt followed by (I'm guessing) finding the correct gear. It does not happen at every round about and I have found that if you very carefully increase the acceleration it does not happen. Is it perhaps something to do with slack in the drive train?

A point to note is that I have also owned 2 Land Cruisers and both had similar issues albeit at around 250,000 miles.

Post #559111 26th Jun 2020 1:25pm
RRPhil

United Kingdom 

The 6HP26 is notorious for the 2-1 downshift issue (BMW & Jaguar owners even set up a website specifically to try to get the manufacturers to do something about it). The first thing to do is to check that you have the latest firmware update for the Mechatronic unit. Solenoid issues are also extremely common with the 6HP26, with a new set costing around £265 + fitting.

Click image to enlarge

Regarding the benefits of flushing rather than a couple of drain & refills, unfortunately there is no definitive answer on this. Everyone has their own opinion. Just make sure that you only use genuine ZF Lifeguard Fluid 6, and you should also replace the filter/sump pan with a genuine IBS Filtran part.

Click image to enlarge

Phil

Post #559138 26th Jun 2020 5:13pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1