Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Off Topic - Other Cars > Daughter bought a new car!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Print this entire topic · 
Joe90

England 

Good choice of car the MX5. Bought one (low mileage MkIII) for my daughter on her graduation (with 1st honours)

Miles of smiles Cool .
Experience is the only genuine knowledge, but as time passes, I have forgotten more than I can remember Wink
Volvo V70 P2 2006 2.4 Petrol 170bhp Estate SE
MG Midget Mk1 1962

Previous: L322 Range Rover TDV8 3.6 2008; L322 Range Rover TD6 3.0 2002; P38A Range Rover V8 1999

Post #560007 2nd Jul 2020 7:59pm
Bill

United Kingdom 

I have no daughters, so best you all lock up yours!!!!!

Many congratulations for the first and of course a very happy birthday to our 21 year old.... May she live a long , happy & speedy life... Dodging all those speed cameras.

Bill Filters are in fact so good that in certain circumstances, when the ambient air is already polluted, a diesel car will tend to extract more particles from the air than it emits. Emissions Analytics worked with........etc etc

He who dies with the most toys wins...

Post #560008 2nd Jul 2020 8:05pm
Cam-Tech-Craig

England 2015 Range Rover SVAutobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

Dixy wrote:
The last time you did the proud Dad post a few days later you posted she had broken her wrist, perhaps a bit of Skid pan at Castle Combe might save another trip to A & E.

NO NO NO NO don't say things like that Dixy!!! We have an old Audi TT Quattro with 300ish HP we have been batting round Combe since she turned 17... I wasn't letting any child of mine loose on the road without first learning what to do & how to do it when things get tricky... By far the best couple of grand i ever spent... Thumbs Up

Post #560022 2nd Jul 2020 9:25pm
Cam-Tech-Craig

northernmonkeyjones wrote:
Well done that girl Thumbs Up

Quite fancy an MX5 myself. Funnily enough I’ve never really thought of them as a woman’s car, what with the original ethos being one of a classic British roadster in the manner of an MGB.

I’ve got a couple of years before I need to get a veehickle for the boy. His 1st will not be anything flash, and have a max budget of a grand......

Buy him a Fiat 500... I can't speak highly enough... They are the first of the ultra safe 5* crash test models (A massive biggie for us) far more relevant than putting a monetary limit on a first car purchase in my humble opinion.... Thumbs Up

Post #560023 2nd Jul 2020 9:31pm
Cam-Tech-Craig

DrRob wrote:
Cam-Tech-Craig wrote:
DrRob wrote:
Great car! SWMBO has the hard top convertible one (2019) and it’s so well built and quick! It’s her 4th one now over the last 10 years or so Thumbs Up

Is that the RF DrRob? Kat could have bought a newer standard trim one but took my advice that the Recaro Edition would hold its money well... Its a lovely spec'd car too Thumbs Up

Yep, the RF in the same colour! Its a fun car for her commute over twisty South Downs but scares the Censored out of me Rolling with laughter I like to be a bit higher off the ground Thumbs Up
It’s also more thirsty than my 4.4 tdv8 Whistle

Kat took me for a run out and i was really quite surprised how grown up it felt at normal lower speeds... Turned out to feel quite like my old Porsche 986 Boxster S at speed... Very sorted

Post #560024 2nd Jul 2020 9:37pm
northernmonkeyjones

United Kingdom 2016 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Santorini Black

That’s a fair point Craig.

Having had a 500x for 4 years or so might just have put me off fiats tho...... absolute POS. There is nothing that can't be fixed with a hammer😜😜
FFRR 4.4 SDV8 Autobiography Santorini Black.
Fiat 500x 1.4 multiair Lounge 2015
2010 LR D4 Commercial 2.7 TDV6

Post #560025 2nd Jul 2020 9:37pm
Cam-Tech-Craig

Her 500 i bought with 120k on and she has just PX'd it in with near 160k... Literally has been the most reliable hack ever and throw a bucket of water at it and it still cleaned up to look 5x its worth... Hers was a Lounge spec so had pan roof & Leather so always looked £££ worth... I gave £1800 and she got the thick end of £1000 back for it... BUT... It was put through my workshop religiously every 6 months Thumbs Up

Post #560027 2nd Jul 2020 10:35pm
Dixy

2016 Range Rover Vogue SDV8 Loire Blue

Cam-Tech-Craig wrote:

NO NO NO NO don't say things like that Dixy!!! We have an old Audi TT Quattro with 300ish HP we have been batting round Combe since she turned 17... I wasn't letting any child of mine loose on the road without first learning what to do & how to do it when things get tricky... By far the best couple of grand i ever spent... Thumbs Up

Glad to hear it. I have intimate knowledge of the armco at quary.
If I remember correctly you have a younger son, this might be of interest https://under17-carclub.co.uk/ letters not necessarily in the right order

Post #560037 3rd Jul 2020 6:25am
Tom_T

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Causeway Grey

Excellent!! Sounds like she has her head screwed on so good luck to her she obviously deserves it Thumbs Up

Post #560041 3rd Jul 2020 7:03am
Cam-Tech-Craig

pcourtney wrote:
my daughter was 21 yesterday, and we were talking about cars again, the MX5 is high up on her list, but may I ask what the insurance is like for a sports car, she presently has a Toyota Auris 1.6 Petrol - and the insurance is only £900

You probably want to check for yourself but Kats finding “ladies insurers” that are coming in at sub £900 fully comp with 4yrs clean licence and turned 21 8ish weeks ago... I don’t think the latest shape MX5 is a very high ins group... And is clearly packed with anti collision gizmos... 👍 which helps with premiums 👍

Post #560062 3rd Jul 2020 9:24am
Cam-Tech-Craig

Dixy wrote:
Cam-Tech-Craig wrote:

Glad to hear it. I have intimate knowledge of the armco at quary.
If I remember correctly you have a younger son, this might be of interest https://under17-carclub.co.uk/

Awesome, I didn’t know that... Yes, he’s 12 and would love that! We went to the Silverstone classic last summer and they had a company there with Vauxhall Corsas for under age kids to try and he loved it...

Thanks for the heads up sir 👍

Post #560063 3rd Jul 2020 9:29am
Dixy

2016 Range Rover Vogue SDV8 Loire Blue

Combe is one of there mainstays so convenient for you. They are opening back up for existing members this Sunday but it will be a while till they can accommodate new members. My son went through from 12 to 17, seeing him at 14 driving a 42 foot artic with a splitter box was fun. letters not necessarily in the right order

Post #560069 3rd Jul 2020 10:19am
Cam-Tech-Craig

I will look into signing him up... Many thanks Dixy Bow down Thumbs Up

Post #560079 3rd Jul 2020 11:08am
ilard

United Kingdom 

Looks absolutely fantastic. These are such a great drive, I hope she appreciates that aspect of it, not just the looks (which are sublime on this one).

When I was 21 I had a Citroen AX GT in white. A bit chavy! But it was practical, liked to go on 3 wheels in the bends, and had Alzheimer-level brake fade. Presumably driven by a normal human being of the time it was simply practical. L405 P400e Autobiography (MY2020)... Silicon Silver / Espresso

Post #560252 4th Jul 2020 8:41pm
Cam-Tech-Craig

So, latest update! We decided that the Recaro mats in Kats car which are perfect should be removed and stored to try to keep as much value and originality when she comes to sell it in a few years so, she went online and found brand new factory mats for £20 through an eBay seller...
she bought a set and after a week or so the white MX5 logos we’re starting to grind her gears! (Her Recaro ones are red!) then last night she sent me a picture...

Click image to enlarge

Don’t know where she gets it from 😏😉👍

Post #560360 6th Jul 2020 9:51am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>