Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > My Range Rover > bbs spy... L405 3.0 diesel
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
BBS SPY

Cyprus 2003 Range Rover HSE 4.4 V8 Java Black
bbs spy... L405 3.0 diesel

I am looking to find and purchase an L405 to not only add to our fleet but mainly as a daily driver replacement for my wife's quite elderly 2003 L322.

Age and mileage is not really an issue but she has a few items on her wish list.
The Paint Color needs to be Light along with the interior as we are in Cyprus, which can get quite sunny and Hot.

Technically and import duty wise it really needs to be a 3.0 Diesel.

And of course the more extras it has the better.

The Budget is up to 35K.

I would be most appreciative if anyone can assist in even pointing to / recommending / vouching for a suitable vehicle.

Regards

Colin 2003 4.4 HSE

Last edited by BBS SPY on 8th Aug 2020 1:30pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #561165 12th Jul 2020 5:23pm
BBS SPY

I should perhaps also state that I am certainly not against anything that has been repaired or even anything that requires Repairs within reason of course.

The Last addition to our fleet, that is s currently SWMBO's daily driver is a repaired Cat D 2015 Disco sport or a 2012 fully loaded Evoque, but she really wants the larger feel.

But despite my pointing out that The L494 Range Rover Sport is technically close, SWMBO has ruled that out.

I am sure that many will appreciate the sensibility in what the letters SWMBO truly means.

She has her mind set on certain aspects and I am far too old and wise to try and argue. 2003 4.4 HSE

Last edited by BBS SPY on 30th Aug 2020 12:29pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #561171 12th Jul 2020 6:05pm
BBS SPY

Hiyas All

Just an update on this thread post for anyone interested to follow my L405 Purchase adventures.

After seemingly endless searching, I eventually snagged a real Beauty at a super low price and with a really very interesting history

This vehicle is one of the earliest examples and therfror one of the lowest cost examples of a TDV6 3.0 L405 being registered in 2012 but it is in a gorgeous color of Siberian silver that is silver with a Blue hint, it has got just shy of 70K on the clock but with full Land rover service history and was last serviced less than 1000 Miles ago and had new brake pads and disks about 4000 miles ago. It has also had vast numbers of campaigns done on it too.

I had it professionally inspected by a vehicle inspection company called Dekra that although is not cheap at £275 for the full on inspection is worth every penny producing a 17 Page report IMHO.

Even down to tire type, age, tread depth Paint depth on every panel they leave absolutely no stone unturned.

So all they could find nothing mechanically wrong with it other than some rear brake pipes have small amounts of surface rust, a rear door panel is not fitted quite right and the LHS switches on the steering wheel don't work.

As it happens I don't think anyone knows more about Land Rover steering wheel switches than me, and yea, I just happen to have some spares for that and I also have a can of WD40 too LOL.

The Dekra inspector with and arm long list of vehicle inspection credentils also detailed and photographed every little scratch that should mostly be expected for any 8 year old Vehicle anyway.

Naturally I used this Information to haggle the price down a bit more and I don't mind sharing with you all that the deal was struck at just £25,500. Getting something like £1250 Discount.

After paying, I had the vehicle picked up and transported to Tllsbury docks in London where it got put in a container and loaded on a ship bound for Limassol docks in Cyprus after a few other port calls.

As I write, after about 2-3 weeks the ship docked in Limassol Cyprus just a few hours ago on Aug 29th and we will get to first see and take possession of the vehicle early next week.

However after purchasing this, I have discovered something interesting about this specific vehicle in that being one of the earliest examples and in such a nice color it was taken to Scotland and had many pictures taken of it in the snow that were then made available as a commercial type Photo library and as such there is a ton of review Articles still on line that feature picture of this specific vehicle. I don't know yet if it was a Press vehicle or otherwise one of those that got initially produced in a really nice color that got quickly dropped just like My own Bali Blue 2010 RRS was.

But see what you think and feel free to reply.

https://www.google.com/search?q=OV62+VRO&a...p;bih=1005

Currently, although mechanically very sound, this vehicle needs at least the Cam belt change ASAP and a lilttle love and money spent on its body work to restore it back to its full showroom / prior photogenic good looking status, which I will be very sure to do.

Sadly SWMBO has absolutely no concept or true appreciation of what I just got for her and even if she never does, I will.

Anyways

Just wanted to loop you all in.

ATB

Colin 2003 4.4 HSE

Last edited by BBS SPY on 30th Aug 2020 12:37pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #565838 29th Aug 2020 11:55am
TomV8

United Kingdom 2004 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Bonatti Grey

Great write up Colin and fantastic new Range Rover. I hope your wife loves it. Reading about how it came over to you in a container, it brings a whole new level of trepidation to the us usual UK car buying experience.

Do keep the updates on Range Rover life in Cyprus coming.

All the best

Tom 2004 L322 4.4 V8 Vogue Bonatti Grey
(205,500 miles and counting.......)

Post #565844 29th Aug 2020 12:37pm
GGDR

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Stornoway Grey

So you did it all remotely Colin ?

Most impressed if so Thumbs Up

£275 is good value for such a thorough inspection, I paid more to RAC when I bought mine (was a newbie back then).

Good luck with it Cheers, Greg
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
2011 Vogue SE 4.4 with lots of toys in Stornaway

Post #565847 29th Aug 2020 1:06pm
BBS SPY

Thanks TomV8

My wife will for sure not know what hit her when she gets to see and drive this truly great Vehicle, even now she is not quite believing it is actually happening, which is nice especially as it is just a few days from her birthday.

She has seen and sat in many Totally Brand New L405's as we have worked on quite a few in our past to do stuff like KPH to MPH changes etc that I really should not go into but has not as yet driven one

She even once sat in the black of a brand new stretched version with big rear screens etc and said these leather seats are the wrong color as they are dark brown and not Black as the front ones were and she was not wrong Wink

Indeed it is very intimidating to buy a vehicle from the UK that you have never seen,

I have recently done so 3 times now.

The first was my own Current Daily driver which is a 2010 RRS in Bali Blue. In purchasing this I consider myself very lucky to have had Pete Bell of BAS do me a solid and check this out for me, Get me some cool 22 inch L405 rims, fix some brake pad issues and to boot remapped it it in his Dyno.

He still uses a picture of this on this vehicle on his web site

https://bellautoservices.co.uk/dyno-development/

Weeks later I watched this get pulled out of it's container along with some ford engines I put into the same container to help a mate out and followed by a totally laughable customs / import / inspection experience.

I then bought a repaired Cat D 2015 Disco Sport from equicar which is when I first used and appreciated the services of Dekra and a local just go pick it up, put it on a ship and otherwise sort it all out Kinda service etc.

Kinda here is the Key, it's parked outside their posh offices, all done and dusted with new CY reg plates plates already fitted an due MOT stuff done jobbie which was nice.

Next was a very heavily specced 2012 Evoque I just happened to be in the UK for at that time. So I did not require any inspection and simply cycled it through the shipping company we had previously used. we ended up picking this up from some remote warehouse with very limited directions.

So yea GGDR Absolutely anything and everything is indeed possible to be done remotely, including me snagging this quite amazing vehicle for my wife, getting an incredulously detailed inspection on it, revealing it's exact current mechanical and physical state, learning it's entire history, knowing of every single scratch dink or dent it has accrued, even to the degree of using that information to haggle a healthy a discount and then arranging payment then transport by land and sea and all using nothing more than a keyboard and a Mouse !!!

I will happily try to snap some pics to share when SWMBO gets to see and drive this vehicle for the first time.

ATB

Colin

. 2003 4.4 HSE

Post #565853 29th Aug 2020 2:18pm
stan
Site Moderator

Location: a moderate moderated moderator moderating moderately in moderation

United Kingdom 

i can see this turning into am interesting thread so i've moved it to the 'my range rover' section...

nice story so far Colin. Thumbs Up ... - .- -.

click link for ,

FORUM WIKI

HOW TO Ǝꓕ∀ꓕOꓤ PICS

workshop manual downloads are in our wiki

Post #565858 29th Aug 2020 3:12pm
DrF

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover SVAutobiography 5.0 SC V8 Orkney Grey

Looks like one of the press cars, upload some pics. Enjoy Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

Post #565874 29th Aug 2020 9:15pm
BBS SPY

Hiyas All

As Stan Notes, (Huge Thanks) the plot and story on this particular L405 vehicle is of some interest and thickens.

It seems that as one of the very earliest examples of an L405 first registered in the first few days of November 2012 this particular vehicle was very heavily laden with optional extras, Ie just about everything except Blind spot monitoring and Front Fog Lights, along with it's choice of its really nice paint color was because LR chose it all to go to their Scottish Land Rover Experience Centre to best show of its new model and be a press pleaser.

here are some internal pictures

This is where many journalists Etc visited to see and review this new Range Rover Model and why there are so many pictures of it in the Snow.

One outfit even made a load of high resolution wallpapers of it

http://www.carwallpapers.cc/cars/land-rove...2013.shtml

Click image to enlarge

Another outfit provided a photo source library of copyrighted pictures of this vehicle that I won't list as by now this all explains why there are so many on line photo's of this specific vehicle.

Less than a year later, the Vehicle was first serviced by Land Rover Company vehicles at just shy of 10K on the clock, then the first of many campaigns.

But then it turns up a couple of months after its first service with a picture on facebook of it at an accident repair center in Birmingham with a note of "oh dear scratched it already Sir".

https://www.facebook.com/159107030833587/p...mp;theater

The picture does not really show the damage but my inspection told me the the Drivers rear door and Quarter have been painted at some point.

A month Later the V5 states that Vehicle was sold to a Lady owner who was the only person listed.

I found more More servicing, MOT's and Campaign work over the following years that tracks properly and leads us to this post and It finally arriving in Cyprus and a really very happy new owner taking delivery of it.

I think it is quite something to see pictures of a vehicle that started its life as quite the star in the Snow of Scotland and will now live on in the Sunshine of Cyprus.

It has acquired a Roof Rack, different number plate mounts, the front bumper is off color and feels like it has been repainted by a Blind ten Year old in his Garage with a Paint roller, Has a reasonable dent in the lower rear tailgate and is generally a bit jaded and less than it's previous Glory days. You can just see that Oops backed into a post damage here in this picture.

When she first sat in the drivers seat SWMBO did not realize it had a TFT display, and then later Heated / Cooled seats and so much more, it has been fun to show her all the bits including the hidden pocket for the remote for the RSE and the Massage seat function etc. TBH I did keep her in the dark about the difference from an L405 and L322.

Even in it's now jaded state, everyone immediately compliments on how nice it looks, what a lovely color etc and TBH I think SWMBO is still suffering from a little disbelief that this is actually hers.

We have already done all the local admin stuff so now OV62 VRO is no more, as it now has a new Cyprus based Registration number and new plates.

But is is booked in next week with a really high end Bodyshop here that I know have used many times, trust and has been instructed to return this vehicle back to a standard better than when it was when it was new regardless of cost.

Painting, buffing, polishing and even adding ceramic coating is going to cost over 1000 Euro but I don't mind and negotiated most of that cost as a discount on the origional purchase Price. I hope to provide some further pictures for you all

There after it is going to my most friendly Garage Mechanic to have its Cam belt changed, is it is about due and an advisory on last service.

But me being me I am also looking what I need to do to add the Blind spot monitoring Etc.

Thanks to all for your interest in following this post / thread and kind comments.

ATB

Colin 2003 4.4 HSE

Post #567464 19th Sep 2020 11:52am
DrF

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover SVAutobiography 5.0 SC V8 Orkney Grey

Great history Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

Post #567503 19th Sep 2020 7:15pm
Edgey808

United Kingdom 2014 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Firenze Red

Great story and car look forward to seeing the improvements....

Like yourselves, I’ve just purchase a new l405 Mr. Green I’m also very much interested in adding the blind spot monitoring to mine also👍🏻

Keep us informed

Thumbs Up Stephen

Post #567509 19th Sep 2020 11:13pm
Sacimiddx

England 2019 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV6 Corris Grey

Thumbs Up

Fascinating stuff

Siberian one of my favourites along with the Fuji white
LR seem to be getting very conservative with their paintwork colours
I am trading a Kaikoura Stone discoV for a welcome FF return with a little sales story but more of that elsewhere In the forum in a few days Whistle

Post #567513 20th Sep 2020 5:52am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1