Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > My Range Rover > Fat Lorraine's story
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
vs322

Greece 2004 Range Rover HSE 4.4 V8 Java Black
Fat Lorraine's story

Next month is going to be a year since I took the gamble of purchasing my 2004 V8 petrol.

Here’s some history which I believe could be of use to anyone planning to take the plunge…

Large vehicle prices fluctuate through the year in my country, being at their lowest around fall as big € yearly circulation taxes are about to become due. Unfortunately, buying new is not an option mostly due to taxation and the only viable option at this category, is something 10+ years old.
Being slightly at risk of generalizing, one can say that almost any pre-owned market in my region is a veritable minefield. Cars are no exception. In this sad state of affairs, the line between pre-owned and faulty is very, very thin indeed. Especially at the 10+ year old group.

In research of the right one, I had to go through quite a few examples on offer. Some of them being the absolute benchmark of what to avoid. Very soon it became apparent that no amount of service history realistically reflected condition. It just so happened to test examples with detailed repair history that weren’t even drivable should I (God forbid) decided to take one of them home. It could be said that one gets what he pays for, well, I wish it was so. This situation warranted a change of approach: to buy on condition. Tough call…

The one I chose had no service history but had the last two MOT inspections papers. Previous owner address was near home too (I was buying from a dealership) and km readings seemed to add up, being at 172K at the time. Color was not bad overall, bumpers were re-painted nicely back and front, with the bonnet being an exception with its faded lettering, failing clear coat and pine sap spots all over. Some dust here and there hinted that she had been sitting for a while…But…Looking underneath, she was exceptionally clean and totally rust free. Even the LR stickers were still in place on the prop shafts. Right Cat was repaired and the driveshaft recall job had been done. The engine bay was similarly clean. All important electrics and electronics seemed to work at an acceptable level and the Climate control too.

On the test drive it ran like a dream and the gear shifts were silky smooth. Minutes later I was the new owner and over the moon with it.

Problems did not take long to show up though, as expected.

First went the oil cooler which was detached from the lower radiator due to failing o rings. Replaced the radiator which was also leaking, the oil cooler and its base which attaches to the radiator.

Then came the big one, which was the valley pan. Replaced the pan which had developed a hole, replaced inlet manifold gaskets, aluminium water pipes and all the oil breather hoses.

A dodgy battery was causing the trans failsafe program every start and was replaced.

The CEL was reset only to come back on after a few km. Decided to invest in 4 new O2 sensors. Still CEL would come on occasionally; sometimes flashing. A 5 € vacuum hose solved the problem for good.
At that point consumption came down from a whopping 19 ltrs / 100 km to 16,5. Happy days!

Then the rear water hoses went, those of the cabin heater.
Coolant temp sensor gasket (lower rad hose) and expansion tank followed suit shortly after.

Then the rocker cover gaskets began to leak heavily. Got them replaced and covers powder coated. This eliminated the CEL flash; was due to misfires caused by oil in the spark plug recess.
Fixed the rear PDC sensors, the front ones are switched off from the dealership.

The power folding of the mirrors doesn’t properly work, still and it’s the only thing I haven’t been able to fix so far.

Other jobs done:

Changed the tyres and aligned
Changed cabin filter
Flushed gearbox and changed the fluid, filter and gasket
Did three engine oil changes so far
Changed the Power steering oil cap gasket
Changed ird oil
Adjusted hand brake
De-greased engine thoroughly
Fixed “upright” left headlamp wiper issue
Replaced rear left door lock
Replaced clicking damper motor
Replaced third brake light
Repaired rear wiper
Replaced Right windscreen washer
Removed all door cards and re attached securing pins with their bases
Fitted LR oval logo on door cards
Purchased rubber mats and rubber boot lining
Tinted windows slightly
Fitted a set of wind deflectors
Painted bonnet and lettering
Painted exhaust muffler
Fixed some lower wing panel securing clips
Did a series of very thorough cabin and body work cleanups
Purchased a brand new xyz switch at a bargain; will fit sometime
Replaced all LR logo wheel caps

Still need to do the ignition controlled cigar lighter sockets mod…

Have NOT needed a brake job, pads were thick enough but now it’s due, with a flush, to be sure.

Water pump is leaking ever so slightly, like 50ml a week, steadily over the past few months. Have purchased a HEPU to fit next month with the scheduled service.

A slight startup rattle has been narrowed down to the oil canister, will take care of it at service, too.

Conclusions:

As daunting as it may seem, this job list has not been overly expensive. All in all has cost me a bit less than 4k euros while the car itself was acquired at sub 9K. I’m likely to exceed those 4k only after the full service next month. At the 13K price point, one gets a brand new Renault Clio, which as nice as it may be, is not what I want.

Now it’s close to 190000 km and haven’t had any more emergencies in 6 or so months. For what it’s worth, I drive 100km daily on average.

It’s worth noting that the LR dealership was willing to share some major repairs information over the phone and that the previous owner had the entire gearbox replaced at 130 K km! This, along with the overall chassis and engine condition was a major factor in deciding to keep for a while.

Here are some before, during and after pics…

Last edited by vs322 on 20th Apr 2021 7:39pm. Edited 2 times in total

Post #564770 16th Aug 2020 9:17pm
vs322

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Post #564771 16th Aug 2020 9:21pm
stu1

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Supercharged 4.2 SC V8 Java Black

Looks immaculate! Thumbs Up

Post #564774 16th Aug 2020 10:00pm
Dolphinboy

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Atacama Sand

well done. It actually looks like a nice example condition-wise. look after her and she will be a keeper I'm sure. Thumbs Up

Post #564779 16th Aug 2020 10:32pm
vs322

Dolphinboy wrote:
well done. It actually looks like a nice example condition-wise. look after her and she will be a keeper I'm sure. Thumbs Up

It's mainly been the cooling system that needed extensive repairs. Mostly hoses and rubber gaskets...Many things I could have just chosen to postpone but why not fix something that's easily taken care of?

stu1 wrote:
Looks immaculate! Thumbs Up

Photogenic indeed Thumbs Up

Post #564793 17th Aug 2020 9:08am
fanders

United Kingdom 2009 Range Rover Autobiography 4.2 SC V8 Buckingham Blue

Nice original L322, and must be great to have no rust at all! Thanks for documenting.

fanders Thumbs Up ---------------------------------------
2009 4.2 SC Buckingham Blue
2021 Hilux 2.4

Post #564801 17th Aug 2020 10:12am
vs322

Thanks.

Rust (usually) isn't much of a problem in Greece unless the car has been on an island or been extensively used in snow. We do have snow but it doesn't last long and a good 5 min. rinse of the underbody should suffice to keep the salt and the potential for rust away.

Post #564805 17th Aug 2020 10:33am
vs322

It's been a year already

It's been a year already since I've got the full fat. It just so happens to coincide with exactly 20000Km made good.

If I exclude all of the preventative maintenance, all breakdowns were due to pre-existing conditions, some of them expected and some others discovered along the way.

The only new failure I could attribute to equipment replaced or maintained under my ownership is a faulty spark plug. Cost of 11 euros...Which I suspect could have been avoided, perhaps, had I not been stingy in the first place and replaced ALL the coils along with the plugs. The coils were still the factory ones btw !!! Thumbs Up

Post #569205 8th Oct 2020 10:34am
Lyonhead

Wales 2019 Range Rover SVAutobiography 5.0 SC V8 Loire Blue

Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up 19MY SVA-Dynamic Spectral Chromoflair Blue but colour not available in profile
2016 RRS SVR Estoril Blue - Gone
2010 RRS 5.0 Supercharged Navara Bronze - Gone
2008 RRS 4.2 Supercharged Black - Gone
2006 RRS 2.7 Diesel Rimini Red- Gone

Post #569213 8th Oct 2020 2:09pm
IGP

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Siberian Silver

As a matter of interest, which vacuum hose did you replace?

TIA

Ivan 2013 Vogue SE SDV8
2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Luxury

Post #569216 8th Oct 2020 2:33pm
vs322

IGP wrote:
As a matter of interest, which vacuum hose did you replace?

TIA

Ivan

This little b@@@@rd and the rest of it's buddies under the plastic engine cover.

Cost of 2 Euros...

Click image to enlarge

Arrow shows where the leak was.

Post #569219 8th Oct 2020 2:48pm
IGP

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Siberian Silver

Is that coming from the PCV valve?

Ivan 2013 Vogue SE SDV8
2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Luxury

Post #569223 8th Oct 2020 4:00pm
vs322

I think it's connected, at least according to the drawing

I replaced the 12A188 and the other ones (one shown with a red arrow) including 9PT61A which is connected to the back of the PCV if I'm not mistaken.

Post #569229 8th Oct 2020 5:36pm
vs322

So here we are just shy of the 200K Km milestone...

With COVID-delayed orders starting to come in, one after another, I decided it was time I booked the fat lady with the garage and get the Freelander out. For a few days...

New job list

Replaced the water pump (at last; had the new one sitting since August!)
Replaced thermostat

Replaced VANOS solenoid check valves + seals
Replaced one pulley on the ancillary
Replaced tensioner
Replaced 2 x belts
Flushed cooling system and renewed coolant

Next to replace this week

2 x lower suspension track control arms

2 x front air struts. Have Dunlop, one of them noisy but otherwise working but have placed an order for 2 x Arnott. Will keep the old ones for spares or if some EU member would like to have them I'd be happy to discuss.

2 x Front park / turning light clusters; replacing with NAS. Will keep the old ones for spares or if some EU member would like to have them I'd be happy to discuss.

2 x side markers, replacing with clear ones.Will keep the old ones for spares or if some EU member would like to have them I'd be happy to discuss.

Next week she's booked for a slight paint correction.

Post #582158 2nd Feb 2021 7:50pm
TomV8

United Kingdom 2004 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Bonatti Grey

Fantastic write up vs322. Huge thanks for posting, it is very interesting and enjoyable.

I am 3.5 years and 30,000 miles into my own 2004 L322 V8 adventure. They are such lovely vehicles. I thought I’d only do a couple of thousand miles a year in mine, but my family and I like it so much, we’ve done five times that mileage.

Good luck with it going forwards and please keep the updates coming. 2004 L322 4.4 V8 Vogue Bonatti Grey
(205,500 miles and counting.......)

Post #582196 3rd Feb 2021 8:06am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>