Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Maintenance & Mods (L322) > Westfalia towing gear. Anyone use an american drop hitch?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
WickNordin

United Kingdom 
Westfalia towing gear. Anyone use an american drop hitch?

Hi all. I recently bought a 2009, face lift, 3.6tdv8. Which doesn't have a towbar. I've decided i need the (now very diffucult to get hold of) westfalia removable towbar

My question is, has anyone fitted any american style 2inch hitch products in their westfalia armature? Is there anything stopping you from doing so? I don't recall ever seeing anyone using anything but the farmers hitch and the wierd removable swan neck tow bar?

Links below showing the sort of products i'd like to use, hence me not looking at other towbar alternatives during these strange times of low stock and social distancing.

https://nsmb.com/articles/4075-the-story-of-north-shore-racks/ - these are the best mountain bike racks you can buy, and require an american style, two inch receiver (aka, what i think the westfalia one is?)
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Trailer-Receiver-...B07WDS64RJ - these are a damn sight cheaper than the official farmers towbar or the removable swan neck towbar (which wierdly is removable from the westfalia armature - im not sure why anyone needs double removable towbar)
https://www.manomano.co.uk/car-trailer-acc..._id=686945 (handy thing to have for pullling stumps, people out of ditches, off road recovery etc)

edit to add, i've found a thread showing people using motorbike carriers and a guy with a hot air balloon basket on a rack which makes me worry less. but does make me wonder why people use the expensive hitches bought from land rover.

Post #564368 12th Aug 2020 8:11pm
Weegie

Scotland 2008 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Stornoway Grey

I stand to be corrected but, as I understand it, the North American tow hitches are not homologated in the Uk and are therefore, strictly speaking, illegal.

In relation to the Westfalia tow bars, they are much cheaper bought from someone like P.F Jones rather than from Land Rover. John
2008 Stornoway Grey 3.6 Tdv8 Vogue
2005 TD6 Java Black Vogue - Written off!!
GAP iiD BT
2003 Discovery TD5 Auto, Nanocom Evolution - gone to a new home!
MasseyFerguson 152 - No electronics!! - Sold

Post #564370 12th Aug 2020 8:47pm
tb10

England 2005 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Tonga Green

I have one and its great. Towed a twin axle with a sports car loaded on and it was fine. Didn’t know it was hitched. 👍 I’ll have to check the illegal bit though 🤔

Regards

John

Post #564373 12th Aug 2020 9:06pm
Alistair

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Santorini Black

I have used us 2" receiver components & they work just fine - I'm fairly certain the Westfalla receiver is basically the US one used in the UK.

As above though not legal as not EU type approved.

I used mine as I have a US boat trailer - complete with 2" hitch - which is 52mm - now I could use an EU standard 50mm tow ball, but I decided I was actually safer with a 2" ball on a US hitch, than a 50mm ball on an EU approved hitch.

My trailer is also not EU legal, despite having hydraulic disc brakes, which are in every way superior to the EU standard of cable operated drum brakes.

On my L405 I have a 50mm ball, but I only tow the trailer short distances these days - to and from local storage to the lake.

The quality is very different though - the Westfalla hitch is a solid lump of steel - the US hitches are box section as you will see on the photos - and a lot lighter. How much that matters, I have no idea...... but that is at least one reason they are cheaper.

Post #564379 12th Aug 2020 9:21pm
Alistair

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Santorini Black

This is the only photo I have of the car fitted with one of the shackles in your third link, even though that was the one that spent the majority of the time fitted to the car

Post #564383 12th Aug 2020 9:44pm
RRDunc

England 2012 Range Rover Autobiography TDV8 Santorini Black

I've got a Tow-Trust detachable towbar on my L322 and a NAS receiver on my D2.

The NAS hitch works, it's locked in place with a lockable pin and it's no worse than towing with a Dixon-Bate adjustable towbar but the detachable setup on the L322 is so much better.

Dunc. The life you have is the only one you'll get; make the most of it.
--------‐--‐-----------------‐------------------‐---------------------------------------------------
2012 4.4 TDV8 L322 Autobiography
2003 TD5 Oslo Blue D2 ES Premium Auto (with mods!)

Post #564384 12th Aug 2020 9:49pm
WickNordin

United Kingdom 

Weegie wrote:
I stand to be corrected but, as I understand it, the North American tow hitches are not homologated in the Uk and are therefore, strictly speaking, illegal.

In relation to the Westfalia tow bars, they are much cheaper bought from someone like P.F Jones rather than from Land Rover.

Thanks, this is good info, i wasn't sure if the hitch and ball had to be homologated or just the armature. but heyho, i'll try find something legal to use.

Unfortunately, after a long call with PF jones this morning, it seems theyre basically out of stock of everything. Which means I'm gonna have to buy the armature from wherever i can get hold of it (currently, £400 on ebay for a new one seems the cheapest, and is comparable to used prices). So i didn't really want to fork out an absolute fortune for other components that could perform just as good a job, but at a fraction of the price by not being OEM.

Regarding all the other answers thanks all, it eases my worries a lot. Seeing the official OEM accessories all have a V cut into the end of them made me think there was some sort of locating slot at the rear of it that means american style accessories might not fit. But now i've seen how you guys get along i feel a lot better.

However, sounds like its probably worth getting AN OEM farmers hitch for towing duties, given how the law looks (as an ex lorry driver i'll happily never speak to another vosa man in my life)

Post #564391 12th Aug 2020 10:30pm
RRDunc

England 2012 Range Rover Autobiography TDV8 Santorini Black

If you want a detachable towbar at a reasonable price have a word with these guys.

https://www.towbarandtrailercentre.com/about-us

Mine had never had any sort of towing equipment fitted before and they fitted a detachable for £690 including vehicle specific 13 pin electrics.

Dunc. The life you have is the only one you'll get; make the most of it.
--------‐--‐-----------------‐------------------‐---------------------------------------------------
2012 4.4 TDV8 L322 Autobiography
2003 TD5 Oslo Blue D2 ES Premium Auto (with mods!)

Post #564394 12th Aug 2020 10:39pm
wayneg

Australia 2007 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Java Black

Here In Oz my car came with the Westfalia hitch as in Alistairs post pictures. A a fair bit of my towing is off-road like most Ozzies I use a Tregg Hitch. I picked up a random 2" tongue of suitable length and use that. The only thing I can see different is the Westfalia tongue and receiver have a male on the car and female key on the tongue end which I had to replicate on my new tongue. I have done many 1000`s of km with no issues

2007 TDV8 VSE
2003 TD6 gone.
2002 P38a gone
1999 P38a gone
1997 p38a gone
1993 VSE gone
1992 VSE gone
1966 Series 2a with V8 conversion gone

Post #564422 13th Aug 2020 7:55am
WickNordin

United Kingdom 

Thanks lads.

Ordered the cheapest Westfalia armature i could find (irritatingly its £100 cheaper on older models) , PF Jones say they don't have stock any more and the said Westfalia have discontinued it.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LR-RANGE-ROVER-...2749.l2649

Ordered this wiring kit

https://www.pfjones.co.uk/land-rover-range...506pf.html

and I've not ordered any hitch yet but will probably try get one of the legal ones, £90 is the cheapest I've seen.

Post #564659 15th Aug 2020 2:12pm
Andy

United Kingdom 2009 Range Rover SE TDV8 Stornoway Grey

I bought the farmers hitch for mine. The original detachable one is still in the boot unused and I didn’t want to risk it as it might have seized up. I prefer the farmers hitch though. 2010 MY Vogue SE TDV8 3.6 Stornoway Grey- fully loaded

Post #564807 17th Aug 2020 10:46am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1