Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > My Range Rover > Hello from Oz - new RR and new member
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
FeralRangie

Australia 
Hello from Oz - new RR and new member

Hi - just purchased a 2007 Vogue TDV8...pics of purchase condition and maiden offroad voyage condition. Loving the grunt of the motor and will probably be the first car I've owned where I won't be looking for performance upgrades...beyond EGR blank and silicon intercooler hoses...and maybe removing the rear collector box at end of exhaust to free up some V8 burble goodness.
Clearly very capable offroad but can't see myself putting camping gear and firewood into the white leather interior...so the Td5 Disco will have to handle those duties and the RR will have to be more of a touring vehicle...which is a bit of a waste really. If it's still going in 10 years, it might have the interior stripped out and become the bush vehicle...

Last edited by FeralRangie on 31st Aug 2020 9:24am. Edited 1 time in total

Post #565537 26th Aug 2020 11:02am
stan
Site Moderator

Location: a moderate moderated moderator moderating moderately in moderation

United Kingdom 

thats an impressive shine , welcome to the forum.. Thumbs Up ... - .- -.

click link for ,

FORUM WIKI

HOW TO Ǝꓕ∀ꓕOꓤ PICS

workshop manual downloads are in our wiki

Post #565538 26th Aug 2020 11:06am
FeralRangie

Australia 

Welcome advice on:

> EGRs - physical blanking vs emulators?
> cold air intake options that would allow a temporary foam sock to be quickly fitted on dusty roads...would prefer not to have to fit a snorkel
> maximum tyre size for 19-inch wheels that won't foul at lowest suspension setting

Thanks!

Post #565539 26th Aug 2020 11:08am
stan
Site Moderator

Location: a moderate moderated moderator moderating moderately in moderation

United Kingdom 

try a search , its all there..

oh, and theres an informative wiki as well.. ... - .- -.

click link for ,

FORUM WIKI

HOW TO Ǝꓕ∀ꓕOꓤ PICS

workshop manual downloads are in our wiki

Post #565540 26th Aug 2020 11:15am
Bluegreygreen Rangie 2

Australia 

I did a cold air intake on mine but the air comes in from lower part of the bumper so may not be to your liking, I will do a write up on it shortly along with a few other things i have done like just installing a catch can which i think might be a world first on one of these engines Razz ... i ended up with 3.5 inch ducting ramming air into the airbox with the ducting entering the airbox thru a hole i cut into the bottom of it , I used a magnehelic gauge to measue the pressures inside the air box before and after and tried a few options along the way, At any speed over about 50kph i now have posative pressure inside the air box / intake tract not negative like standard, Even under load on the freeway up steep hils it maintains a posative intake so im very pleased with it

I was thinking what i might do on dusty roads for extra protection and i dont know why i did not think if it but thank you i will get an oiled foam sock like i used to run in the snorkel of my GQ Patrol back in the day if i think conditions are dusty enough

Dave 2010 3.6TDV8 Autobiography
Bas remap, Egr deleted (blanked & via remap) , Cold air intake, Turbo back exhaust, Provent 200 catch can, Banks idash gauge, 275/55/R20

GAP Diagnostics

Past - 02 & 03 TD6 And an 1984 Classic

Post #565576 26th Aug 2020 4:18pm
FeralRangie

Australia 

Thanks Dave - look forward to seeing the write-up/pics of cold air intake. I don't do deep water crossings so my main focus is a set-up that allows fitting of a temporary foam sock for dust...snorkels obviously make that easy.

How did you do your EGR delete - blanking plates? modulators? Did you bother with ECU delete - some seem to have fitted blanking plates without bothering with ECU delete and no ill effects...

Post #565629 27th Aug 2020 10:24am
Bluegreygreen Rangie 2

Australia 

I had a remap done and incorporated a map out of the egr at the same time.. I actually blanked mine off with my own approach by making plates which fit to the rear of each exhaust manifold where the piping (all now removed) for the egr starts it's journey.. It has been flawless... Engine is noticeably quieter with the egr blanked and imo better milage and smoother running engine is also noticeable which makes perfect sense

I have read of people blanking without issues and I don't understand that... Maybe something to do with different maps for different countries... Perhaps in a particular climate they might have a problem I don't know but I wanted to know mine was done right and going to be reliable... Non of the re mappers will really share their secrets so hard to know exactly what is going on there.

By rights it seems the ECU expects to see variations in airflow relating to the egr positions etc and if your too far out of these parameters it will throw a code and go into a limp mode I believe

I highly recommend getting rid of the egrs .. they seem to often cause problems and they do nothing for the engine's efficiency.. the replacement costs will probably cover a gap I'd tool and map out anyway.. cost nothing to make the plates of your half handy

It should also be noted as I'm assuming you've already read egr issues seem to have been known to also cause turbo failure...

Oh by the way sorry nice Rangie... The shine is killer Thumbs Up

Bas remap, Egr deleted (blanked & via remap) , Cold air intake, Turbo back exhaust, Provent 200 catch can, Banks idash gauge, 275/55/R20

GAP Diagnostics

Post #565653 27th Aug 2020 1:17pm
FeralRangie

Australia 

Thanks Dave - will fit the blanking plates and then look at ECU mod options.

Post #565824 29th Aug 2020 10:00am
fenlander

England 2002 Range Rover SE 4.4 V8 Tonga Green

Don't you risk a $20000 fine if caught tampering with any emissions control gear that was factory fitted, or is that just for deleting the soot collectors DPF delete, or only in WA? "Gloria" 2002 L322 Voguish V8 LPG - carcass
"Jessica" 1996 Disco 1 300 TDi Auto
"Harriet" 1994 Disco 1 300 TDi Manual - Gone
"Daisy" 1992 Disco 1 200 TDi Manual - Gone

Post #565834 29th Aug 2020 12:27pm
FeralRangie

Australia 

Fortunately Oz L322s aren't fitted with DPFs and there's no inspection of things like EGRs. I'm sure EGRs make sense to pass Euro standards when a vehicle is brand new...however, I fail to see how it's environmentally friendly to have a vehicle that runs worse, uses more fuel and can potentially blow a turbo/motor through an EGR that is in less than new condition.

Post #565945 31st Aug 2020 9:23am
Bluegreygreen Rangie 2

Australia 

I like your answer ,

Yep.. the emission stuff is a great crock of $hit to say the least... No good for your engine in terms of economy or longevity in any way shape or form!, How an engine is meant to be efficient when it is re burning it's own poo ill never understand

Anyway it keeps some clueless bureaucrat in a job doesn't it ...

GAP Diagnostics

Post #565984 31st Aug 2020 5:41pm
Bloke

Scotland 2009 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Buckingham Blue

Nice truck. Enjoy.

Post #565989 31st Aug 2020 6:00pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1