Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > In Car Electronics (L405) > Add CarPlay and preserve original nav, without Android unit?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Print this entire topic · 
cxdood

United States 2016 Range Rover HSE 3.0 SC V6 Santorini Black
Add CarPlay and preserve original nav, without Android unit?

I recently got an L405 year 2016 model. Great car. With the "old" infotainment unit. I would prefer to keep the existing navigation system because I like how it works with the Heads Up Display and the Off road navigation. But I also want to add Apple CarPlay. Can this be done with minimal interference with the existing functionality?

Of the options I have seen there is:

- Replace existing screen with Android unit. It seems to preserve the existing functionality. What I can imagine not liking is: The android unit looks like it takes more than 30 seconds to start - longer than factory system - is that true? Also I don't want to see an Android menu or logo at all. Positives is the bigger screen for CarPlay.

- Add navigation using the existing screen, but replacing the factory navigation functionality with CarPlay. I like the idea of most of the functionality staying very standard, but I don't like losing the factory navigation.

I am looking for a solution that doesn't have any of the downsides mentioned. I thought it didn't exist for the L405, but then I saw this video - granted for a Sport, but I assume the systems are very similar:

This video shows an installation that adds CarPlay but still preserves original navigation:

2 minutes 17 seconds in it shows that quickly touching the Navigation button brings back factory navigation. To go to CarPlay you have to hold the navigation button for slightly longer instead of just quickly tapping. It doesn't look like an Android unit. I am interested in this. Does anyone know where such a unit can be bought? Or any other suggestions? I am in the USA.

Post #566028 1st Sep 2020 6:01am
adara

Romania 2019 Range Rover Vogue 2.0 PHEV Santorini Black

I spoke to these guys for a while, they seem to be OK:

https://www.navtool.com/land-rover-range-r...rplay.aspx 2019 Vogue P400e

Post #566030 1st Sep 2020 6:23am
Alistair

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Santorini Black

For me, sat nav would be the biggest benefit.

What do you want from CarPlay ?

I have The cheap option - a phone holder so I can access music etc that plays via Bluetooth

Click image to enlarge

Post #566034 1st Sep 2020 8:32am
adara

The satnav of the Range Rover is very primitive - even with the monthly updates from Here... CarPlay offers Waze, Google Maps or almost any other navigation software you like, with REAL TIME warnings, updates, alternative routes, etc. Also music, messaging, phone, etc. 2019 Vogue P400e

Post #566043 1st Sep 2020 11:40am
Alistair

I agree - Waze is awesome

The original ask was CarPlay with the original sat nav - that’s the bit I don’t get.

My solution works well enough for me and I’d only spend more money on a solution if it did things like integrating to the display between the speedo and rev counter etc.

Post #566044 1st Sep 2020 12:03pm
adara

Unfortunately even the JLR Apple CarPlay implementation does not offer dashboard integration... Only center screen... However, switching from car sat nav to CarPlay and viceversa is one touch away. 2019 Vogue P400e

Last edited by adara on 2nd Sep 2020 2:24pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #566050 1st Sep 2020 1:21pm
cxdood

I'll explain why I want to be able to use either the factory navigation or navigation via CarPlay. It depends on the situation:

If I am out of cell phone range or off road, the factory Land Rover system is better than the internet based navigation systems on the iPhone. The factory navigation is a bit clunky for some cases, but for long trips it has been fine. I use the car off road and on roads far from civilization sometimes.

In the city if I do have the iPhone with me maybe I want to be able to use Apple maps - or any other navigation app that works via CarPlay. It doesn't work with the Heads Up Display but it has other advantages.

I want CarPlay for: Navigation via iPhone, playing and controlling music via the CarPlay interface and other features that CarPlay offers. It can also dictate and read text messages using voice commands. Without taking your eyes off the road.

It is illegal in some states over here to even touch the phone while driving. Because too many people cause accidents because they look at their phones. The mobile phone interface is not made for driving. CarPlay is an improvement. I'm not saying that a phone in a holder cannot be used responsibly, but with CarPlay it is easier.

Post #566071 1st Sep 2020 5:26pm
Alistair

Makes sense I guess - the icons are nice and large.

I can do the rest with my phone mounted up high though - music streaming through it, I can talk to Siri etc.

I sometimes run waze on the phone, but also the in car sat nav on the main screen - though I only have one of them with a destination and telling me the directions.

Playing music through Apple Music means the steering wheel buttons work and the track names are displayed etc.

I get that Car Play is better and certainly looks neater, but it doesn’t give you much more In terms of functionality - unless you get a lot of texts Very Happy

Post #566072 1st Sep 2020 5:44pm
nwmgc

United Kingdom 2015 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Corris Grey

cxdood wrote:
I'll explain why I want to ............................................

I do agree with you. Relying on a phone signal is too risky - even more so for you in the States, I know. I drove across Montana and Wyoming last year and a phone signal is non-existent because so few places have it!

Post #566106 2nd Sep 2020 12:28pm
Mark1107

United States 2013 Range Rover HSE 5.0 V8 Fuji White

www.androidaftershock.com

you get apple/android car play plus you keep all of your factory nav functions!

best of both worlds.

Post #566156 3rd Sep 2020 1:41am
cxdood

nwmgc wrote:
I do agree with you. Relying on a phone signal is too risky - even more so for you in the States, I know. I drove across Montana and Wyoming last year and a phone signal is non-existent because so few places have it!

Exactly. Using navigation that relies on the internet would be impossible in these situations, it's not just about preference.

If I were to touch my phone while driving that would be illegal for me where I live. Even clicking a "next song" button.

So it's not only about convenience it's also about things being impossible or illegal.

Post #566243 4th Sep 2020 4:34am
cxdood

Mark1107 wrote:
www.androidaftershock.com

you get apple/android car play plus you keep all of your factory nav functions!

best of both worlds.

Hi, did you read my original post? I have seen that product, and correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't that product:

- Take longer to start than OEM? If I start the car and put it in reverse how many seconds until I see the backup camera image on the screen?
- Show an Android logo?
- Show an Android menu when clicking home?

These are some of the issues I have with the product. I want it to feel as OEM and transparent as possible without any new downsides. Only adding CarPlay not taking anything away.

Post #566244 4th Sep 2020 4:39am
NickTheStick

United States 2015 Range Rover HSE 3.0 SC V6 Fuji White

Im in a similar position, im leaning towards this...

https://unique-ad.co.uk/product/wireless-a...port-l494/

If the delay wasn't so bad on the android unit, I would go that route, since it looks much nicer.

Post #566326 4th Sep 2020 8:38pm
cxdood

Quote:
Im in a similar position, im leaning towards this...

That page says:

Quote:
(Please note, when this product is installed, it will replace your factory fitted navigation. This can be reinstated at any time by unplugging our system.)

I would personally want to preserve the original navigation.

Post #566339 5th Sep 2020 12:44am
adara

Actually it shows in the movie that the nav button is used to summon the CarPlay interface. 2019 Vogue P400e

Post #566349 5th Sep 2020 7:00am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>