Home > General > Potential new owner looking for some advise
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
ash27

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Supercharged 4.2 SC V8 Java Black
Potential new owner looking for some advise

Hi all,

Hope you are all keeping well in these strange times.

Ash here and looking for some help/advise on going for a SC Range Rover.
My initial criteria was an 07+ 4.2 SC based on the fact they seem to be the most reliable based on engine and gearbox from what I have read.

However the following 5.0 SC has come up and is very close to me on autotrader. If the link doesnt work £13,995 from USEDCARS-UK.

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/ad...amp;page=1

Going by the description it would seem the common engine fault would have been dealt with based on the rebuild so it looks quite a tidy car.
MOT brings up some oddities with both nearside wheels which come and go in the different MOTs and the the rear shock absorber leaking slightly.
Now shocks are not too bad even if it has the continual variable damping (any way to tell?) but the wheels I am just going to have to ask about.

I guess is there anything that screams "dont buy me" assuming a conversation with the dealer and check of the car goes well. Autotrader think the price is quite high, but its not like there are loads of 5.0 SC to compare with.

Many thanks for any info received and hopefully at some point the start of me having a SC of some description and getting more involved Smile

Thanks,

Ash

Post #561189 12th Jul 2020 9:21pm
Haylands

England 2014 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

Seems rather expensive for the age and milage, does look in nice condition though...

If it really has had a full engine rebuild for £4,000 then it won't have been done properly...!!!

Wheels have hit a pothole, I expect the inner rim is bent, personally I'd change them all if this has had two bent how has it been driven..!!

It will have CVD, if you go for it then get them to change both, they aren't cheap..!!

Thumbs Up Pete

2002 L322 Vogue 4.4 V8 Epson Green, Ivory over Aspen Interior (Fatty Offroader) Sold
-Click for Project Fatty off roader-

Post #561191 12th Jul 2020 10:03pm
mjdronfield

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Buckingham Blue

I think it seems “normal” for there to be a little misting from the shockers, but not like a massive leak. I agree with Haylands, if it’s something you want to proceed with, get the garage to do them. If they put up a fight, imagine how much grief you are going to get if you ask them to fix stuff AND they have taken your money.....

Prob best find out more details about the rebuild and cost of wheels too.

Thumbs Up 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE 4.4 TDV8

Previous cars :
2003 Range Rover Vogue TD6
1999 Discovery Td5 ES
1995 BMW M5 3.8 6 speed
1992 Range Rover 3.9 Efi Vogue
1992 BMW M5 3.8
1988 BMW 735i SE
1989 Ford Sierra XR4x4 2.9i
1981 Ford Fiesta Supersport

Post #561207 13th Jul 2020 8:17am
northernmonkeyjones

United Kingdom 2016 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Santorini Black

If you do manage to get them to change the rear shocks (as mjd says A little mist is normal, Censored oil out isn’t) then make sure they use the LR ones. There are other options but being CVD then care needs taken in the selection......

Bending those wheels is not too easy..... had them on my 3.6 and they were fine and dandy. There are plenty of other styles and options available if needed. There is nothing that can't be fixed with a hammer😜😜
FFRR 4.4 SDV8 Autobiography Santorini Black.
Fiat 500x 1.4 multiair Lounge 2015
2010 LR D4 Commercial 2.7 TDV6

Post #561208 13th Jul 2020 8:23am
IGP

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Siberian Silver

Forgive my ignorance but what does CVD mean?

Thanks

Ivan

Post #561250 13th Jul 2020 11:49am
bishbosh10

United Kingdom 

Continual Variable Damping. Smile

(clever shocks to you and me. Wink ) Bish.

2005 110 TD5 CSW
2011 TDV8 Vogue SE (gone)

Post #561257 13th Jul 2020 2:00pm
ash27

Thanks for the response all.

I have asked for some more clarity around the rebuild/timing chain (i.e. do they mean 4k replacing the chain and guides and not a total rebuild etc) and then if anything has been done about the wheels/shocks since they were mentioned in the MOTs.

It does worry me about both wheels being done as to what potentially could have happened to the car and if any of the suspension etc could have problems down the line.

Depending on what comes back I will arrange a viewing to see how clean it looks in person taking the forum guide I found Smile

Post #561260 13th Jul 2020 2:17pm
Fox889

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Westminster TDV8 Orkney Grey

For a dealer 2010 5.0 petrol, it's probably priced about right.
Petrol's make far more money than diesels.
If you really fancy the car, get them to put a 12 month warranty on it instead of 3 months, being a dealer, they'll probably use either Warrantywise or Blue Chip warranty or at least someone similar. It won't cost the dealer much to increase the warranty anyway.
I would want to look carefully at the history & receipts, check the heated/cooled seats work ok [both seats].

Is it my imagination, or are the wheel nuts in the photo's exactly the same colour as the wheel itself? Has someone 'blown over' the wheels, or is it my eyesight.

You'll get a feeling one way or the other, keep us informed. Smile 2012 Orkney Grey Westminster 4.4TDV8 with Ivory interior.........nice!
BMW R1200GS
Alfa Romeo Giulietta
Just one Montesa now, 349 White Wonder
Austin A40 Farina MK2
1975 Morris Marina 1.8TC

Post #561262 13th Jul 2020 2:27pm
Haylands

England 2014 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

ash27 wrote:

It does worry me about both wheels being done as to what potentially could have happened to the car and if any of the suspension etc could have problems down the line.

These are very tough vehicles, it is unlikely any part of the car got damaged, check the tyres for uneven wear, and is the steering wheel straight, this will give a good indication of something amiss... Thumbs Up Pete

2002 L322 Vogue 4.4 V8 Epson Green, Ivory over Aspen Interior (Fatty Offroader) Sold
-Click for Project Fatty off roader-

Post #561319 13th Jul 2020 9:19pm
Rich86

United Kingdom 2009 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Nara Bronze

Car seems to lean to the right in my opinion and it’s noticeable looking at front photos.

Paint to front bumper is appalling and you can even see an issue with ns lower fin which looks like overspray. Rear bumper has been painted shoddily as you can see white along the threshold where the upper bumper meets the lower plastic trim.

Too many photos of interior make me suspicious but do show rough ns seat back, no cigar lighter or cover for rear centre controls and aftermarket rear boot mat. These are all signs the car hasn’t had the money spent and would indicate people skimping during ownership.

The wheels look awful and on a car with this mileage you’d expect replacements especially if they’ve been causing issues with MOT. Once again the fact that they appear original gets me thinking why the money wasn’t spent to rectify.

Infiniti Reading number plates so probably a trade in and then sent to auction which is perfectly normal but not appealing for me as they can get tatted up by dealers looking to maximise profit afterwards.

I would run a mile to be honest as the car just doesn’t look right but that’s just my gut feeling. They will usually always sound lovely and ride well such is the quality of these vehicles so can be tricky as you can be sidetracked and seduced as I was with my first petrol RR which had multiple issues and which I spent thousands putting right. But only you will be able to make the call as to whether it’s right for you.

For what it’s worth I think it’s over priced but even if they take money off it’s too much with the things I’ve mentioned above really raising alarm bells for me I’m afraid. 2009 Vogue TDV8 Nara Bronze
2002 Vogue V8 Zambezi Silver
1986 90 Pick up Deep Bronze Green
1978 Series III SWB Deep Bronze Green

Post #561342 14th Jul 2020 2:23am
ash27

Well its all over before it started...

Have not been able to get out to view it due to work and now someone has put a deposit down on it.
TBH with what I was concerned about and the comments here, thank you everyone, I don't know if I would have pulled the trigger but it would have been good to have a look over in person anyhow.

Back to the search Thumbs Up

Post #561672 16th Jul 2020 8:45am
Rich86

United Kingdom 2009 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Nara Bronze

Ash I think you’re in a better position now...

If you do want to see a really well looked after example come over to West London to see mine. I’m not selling but it may be good to see a well looked after example and I’d be happy to show you where the bad bits are so you you can avoid getting potentially ripped off. Mine isn’t a petrol but that doesn’t really matter.

No sweat from me to do this if you’re around one day. PM me if you want my number.

All the best. 2009 Vogue TDV8 Nara Bronze
2002 Vogue V8 Zambezi Silver
1986 90 Pick up Deep Bronze Green
1978 Series III SWB Deep Bronze Green

Post #561699 16th Jul 2020 12:37pm
ash27

Many thanks for this Rich, may well take you up on this as I am probably going to have to travel to find the right one so having as much information as I can about what to look for the better Thumbs Up

Does seem that the 07+ face-lift 4.2 Supercharged are thin and far between in general and then finding a decent one reduces the pool further. I guess its only 2 years of sales before the 5.0 comes in.

Post #562808 27th Jul 2020 9:49am
ash27

Hi all,

Thanks for the help and the wealth of info available on the site.
Again thanks for the offer Rich but couldn't make it work before the following car came up Smile Hopefully I wont regret that!

Will post properly in the newbie section but thought would let you know I did eventually find a car just before a holiday to Devon and it seems to be all good with a couple of niggles. So far driven from Manchester back to Hertford and then down to Devon and back.

Pics are my first bit of off-roading trying to avoid a tractor down a lane Very Happy

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Thumbs Up

Last edited by ash27 on 16th Oct 2020 11:20pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #567671 21st Sep 2020 10:58pm
JoolsB

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Buckingham Blue

Glad you got sorted, nice looking car.

I picked up a TDV8 a month ago, 2 owners and 90k, it seemed in good nick for a 10 year old car. As I’ve poked about a bit I’ve found a few things that need doing, rear dampers, door speaker, a couple of bits of squeaky trim, but I’ve managed to sort these fairly cheaply.

Although it had decent rims and tyres, they weren’t for me and I changed them for some nice 20” rims and AT3s.

I’ve got a bit of an occasional knock coming from underneath, I thought it may be the prop shaft or dampers, but I’ve changed the shocks and the prop seems ok too - more investigation needed I think.

All in all I’m well pleased with it, my other vehicle is a Defender so I feel like I’m on a magic carpet in the fattie and you have to expect to spend a few quid with cars like these.

Thing is, I bought this as a stopgap, while Covid got sorted out, as I didn’t want to commit to a large monthly payment for a contract car while all this is going on, but now I’m mulling over whether to px it after Christmas for a slightly newer supercharged...we’ll see.

Let us know how you get on.

Post #567945 24th Sep 2020 8:44pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>