Home > Maintenance & Mods (L322) > Sudden transmission slip
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
yorkshiretom

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Stornoway Grey
Sudden transmission slip

Hello fellow RR folk,

I wonder if you could help me. I’ve a 07 L322 TDV8 with about 113,000 miles on it (only owned it for a week! Embarassed ). Over a few days (owing to some stubborn bolts) I have replaced both front air struts. All was going well until a short test drive. Initially when going from D to P there was a horrendous grinding noise, but that stopped after a few tries. Very quickly after setting off the transmission started really slipping until I could get no drive at all. This was the same in low range. Can’t think why this has happened. There was no fluid loss, and prior to changing the struts the it drove fine!

How could it develop such terrible slipping so suddenly? To be scientific(ish) about this here is the situation:

- The car has been up predominantly on axel stands on the front driver’s side only for about 2-3 days. All other wheels were on the ground. The passenger side were only on stands for about three hours.
- As mentioned, no fluid loss from anywhere at all.
- The battery had been disconnected for a 2-3 days too. Although it started fine.
- I don’t have any specific documentation that states it’s had a transmission service recently.
- It drove without issue before the DIY suspension job.

I dare not drive it at the moment unless I have my pal who can tow me back home Big Cry . Any help would be hugely appreciated.

Yorkshiretom.

Post #567397 18th Sep 2020 3:32pm
dexion7

2010 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Alaska White

vague guess....

whilst replacing the strut did you remove the hub nut and separate the drive shaft from the drive flange and forget to put the nut back on when rebuilding so the shaft splines and drive flange splines are not properly mated? Embarassed

Post #567402 18th Sep 2020 3:54pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1