Home > Technical (L322) > Changed battery on 4.4 tdv8
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
neilly

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Autobiography TDV8 Baltic Blue
Changed battery on 4.4 tdv8

Hello All,

I have doen a search and found a plethora of infomration all good.
Used the battery change tutorial when changing the battery yesterday , very useful it is too thanks @scuddriver
https://www.fullfatrr.com/forum/topic43662...ery+change

So before I changed the battery, keep in mind the FF started every time. ( approx once a week) But had only done 1500 Miles in the last 7 months. I checked the battery % and it was showing : One reason I checked this was to see if it was affecting the FBH operation, Still to be checked.

Click image to enlarge

The Battery voltage on the GAP was showing 14.7 to 15.1 V all the time. but the % never got above 50%.

I suspect the old battery was the one fitted by LR during a recall to change to AGM, Varta 95AH 850A model, from what I have read as it is dated 38/11 and the vehicle was originally made in feb/march 2011.

So now with the new battery fitted. Which is also a LR product but this time a 90AH 850A AGM EXIDE model.
Used the GAPIID to reset for a battery replacement, Have read on here there is also a charge operation that can be changed. Not sure where this is on the GAP diagnostics, I have searched but no joy. Any ideas?
Checked in the CCF and the new battery is not listed and the nearest I can see is the same as was fitted previously, although there is no mention of AGM or std lead acid batteries. So that has not been changed. If anyone knows the whereabouts of this then please let me know.

Today went for a drive, on start up the GAP shows 91% for the battery. The Battery voltage seems to fluctuate between 13.8V and 12.3V. I assume this is the intelligent side of the alternator set up working out the charging cycle of the new battery, but that is just a guess.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Battery % is now at 85%.

Click image to enlarge

I will see how it carries on. To see of the V / Alternator operation and fluctuation settles down, or is this normal?

Cheers

Post #575158 5th Dec 2020 4:39pm
Siftah

Spain 2011 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Stornoway Grey

Oddly, I was also doing very similar today on my own 2011 TDV8 whilst trying to work out my flat-battery issues Smile

I started with a 95% charged battery (according to the same live values you used), the battery had been on charge overnight with a CTek, so should have really been fully charged (the CTek seemed to think so).

For the first 20 mins of driving, the battery voltage fluctuated from 14.6 (mostly when going down hill in gear and off the brakes) down to about 12.1volts.

I didn't think to record the session, so I'm working from what I saw when looking at the screen every few seconds rather than giving definitive numbers - so please bear that in mind!

After about 20 minutes of driving, stop start traffic, around the town with a couple of brief A-road sections, the voltage stabilised at about 14.7v (AGM battery, ~11 degrees celcius outside temp).

I'd had the heater on, heated seat, headlights, blower on low, sat nav on but nothing else and I was seeing loads between 20 and 60amp whilst driving (again, going off the GAP's live value metrics).

All this time the GAP was saying battery capacity was dropping from 96% down to about 92%, once the load eased off to about 20amps and the voltage went back up to 14.7v the charge started to go back up. I think I ended the drive on about 94%.

I didn't check the voltage without load, because right now I have a constant 2amp draw from something - which is what I'm trying to diagnose. I'd have needed to disconnect the battery to get a true reading of the unloaded battery voltage.

Things I can say from looking at other posts on this subject;

The TDV8 4.4 probably doesn't let the alternator kick in to begin with, it lets the battery take the load for the first few miles of driving as the battery can take it and to pull that much current from the alternator would hit fuel consumption. Apparently this is a method of saving fuel, it waits till everythings got warm until it kicks the alternator in and starts to recharge the battery. What I read suggested this only takes 2 minutes, though, it was more like about 20 from what I observed.

Second thing I read was that the alternator voltage is dependant on external temperature, obviously the AGM batteries can take a higher voltage too, so 14.7v that I saw is possibly dependant on the external temperature - your mileage may vary!

I'm still trying to get to the bottom of my issues and have the battery disconnected right now so I can put a fuse buddy onto the entertainment system fuse and start to look for where the problem is (I know the dash backlight and the backlight on the hazard warning triangle never go off when the car's locked, so it's something to do with that - just don't know what that means yet).

Anyway, hope this helps - I'll probably go out for another drive tomorrow and do the same thing, I'll need to record it this time so I can be a bit more imperical though Smile

Post #575167 5th Dec 2020 7:02pm
Mike220

2011 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Stornoway Grey

Good detailed info here gents, thanks for documenting as I'm sure it'll be useful to plenty of people in the future. Watching along to find out the root cause of your battery drain, as 2 amps is pretty big Shocked 2011 Vogue SE Tdv8 FFRR

Post #575168 5th Dec 2020 7:10pm
Siftah

Spain 2011 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Stornoway Grey

It is indeed, I've seen it drop to 1amp which I think is generally where it's at, but it can flatten the battery overnight so it's something major. The instrument cluster screen suggests it's BCM I think, which would account for a large amount of drain.

I did spot an error code about the drivers side door lock switch being low, which I'm wondering is causing the BCM to stay awake but, I dunno, more investigation tomorrow! Smile

*EDIT* Aparently I did record some of the run: https://www.dropbox.com/s/fsavc75o7y0zh0k/run1_Log.pdf?dl=0

I really don't know how to interpret that - it's the last 5 or 10 mins of the run and shows the voltage is all over the place, though it stabilises out towards the end and starts to charge the battery.

Post #575169 5th Dec 2020 7:14pm
neilly

I was basically driving for 2 lots of 45 minutes.

Will be interesting to see what you find.

Cheers

Post #575172 5th Dec 2020 7:59pm
neilly

Well the good news is, the FBH is now working.

So that makes changing the battery worthwhile.

Cheers

Post #575195 5th Dec 2020 10:23pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1