Home > Wheels & Tyres > Tyre noise suppression foam experiment
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Charles89

United Kingdom 2014 Range Rover SVAutobiography SDV8 Scotia Grey
Tyre noise suppression foam experiment

Well...

I bought some new Cooper Discover AT3s. I have a crazy theory that tyre manufacturers have missed a trick with their noise suppression foam. Following several experiments, this is my theory: Car wheels are made of alloy, when there is no tyre mounted to the wheel and you tap the wheel with a spanner, it rings out like a symbol on a drum kit. Bolt this to the car hub, and the transference of this resonance now travels through the car. I understand the principal of foam in the tyre, but the foam does not contact the alloy wheel to suppress the resonance.

I have in the past inserted foam into the tyre to reduce road noise, while this in itself was successfull and reduced some DBs from the road noise in cabin, I decided to try the same on the wheels.

Click image to enlarge

Foam installed on all 4 wheels, I can report a 2db drop in road noise inside the cabin. I was very careful to ensure testing was conducted in a controlled manner. So ASL active and set to 60mph, same road, same conditions etc. And before and after resulted in what now feels like no road noise at all. I can now seem to only hear the wind!

Over all I am very satisfied with the results. I used contact adhesive and open cell 20mm foam you can buy online. A quick trim and stick and you have yourself 2db less road noise.

Remember that while 2db may not sound much, the real world feel of the 2db drop is actually like cutting the overall cabin noise by a 3rd to half of its existing level.

I am on a mission to strip down the RR and install aftermarket sound deadening and refine the cabin even furthur. So lookout for the next thread where I will be removing the whole interior and installing dodo 80mil butyl sound deadening, then a 5mm closed/open cell sound insulation followed by 10mm sound killer matting to replace factory noise insulation. Not only am I hoping for hybrid like results but also heat insulation to ensure the parking heater is more efficient and the cabin is able to retain its heat for longer.

Post #573706 22nd Nov 2020 6:09am
Bl4ckD0g

Netherlands 2010 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Santorini Black

I love fun experiments Smile At the same time I wonder why nobody does that with foam on the wheel. Looking forward to longer term reports.

With regards to the rest of the sound deadening; in my opinion, it is the wrong car to do this to. It is so refined as it is anyone, except perhaps the roof when something falls on it. The gains will be minimal considering its existing low sound levels, double glazing, etc.

Now on my daughters VW Golf MK2 that made a huge difference as I had to strip the interior anyway. On a FFRR that seems a lot of trouble and hours for what is already very good compared to most cars on the road.

Well unless one drives a diesel Twisted Evil Laughing But then only a V8SC is the solution Whistle

Post #573714 22nd Nov 2020 8:31am
Brian Considine

United Kingdom 
Re: Tyre noise suppression foam experiment

Charles89 wrote:
Well....

I found this very interesting & 2db is actually quite a lot.

Would closed cell foam have been better though ?

Using open cell foam on many model railway projects over the years I've found that the open cell foam turns to dust if it is exposed to UV light (clearly not an issue inside a tyre) or not ventilated (which will be the case inside the tyre).

Please keep us updated. 2003 Range Rover Vogue TD6

Post #573722 22nd Nov 2020 9:23am
Charles89

Open cell with a closed cell top would have been better. But I wanted to prove the theory first. My MK2 experiment will consist of using a duel layer foam. Once I am happy the formula works I will then have my spare set of wheels refurbished and install the foam that works best 👍

Post #573726 22nd Nov 2020 9:35am
RRDunc

England 2012 Range Rover Autobiography TDV8 Santorini Black

This is the first post in this section that's actually interested me.

Looking forward to further updates.

Dunc. The life you have is the only one you'll get; make the most of it.
--------‐--‐-----------------‐------------------‐---------------------------------------------------
2012 4.4 TDV8 L322 Autobiography
2003 TD5 Oslo Blue D2 ES Premium Auto (with mods!)

Post #573735 22nd Nov 2020 1:02pm
knwatkins

United Kingdom 2014 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Corris Grey

Cool experiment Thumbs Up Kev

2014 L405 RR Vogue SE 4.4 SDV8 in Corris Grey
2010 L320 RRS HSE 3.0 TDV6 in Stornoway Grey

Post #573746 22nd Nov 2020 4:39pm
Jpboost

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Santorini Black

it's an interesting question as to why manufacturer efforts in this area don't follow the path of damping the wheel itself.
My guess would be around the longevity of the adhesive under the centrifugal loads it will experience. Looking forward to hearing how that holds out in the slightly longer term.

Post #573805 23rd Nov 2020 11:37am
Johnh

United Kingdom 2016 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

I suppose the main issue could be if moisture got trapped between or taken up by the foam and it started to cause corrosion of the wheel from the inside and you would only find out when your wheel collapsed Sad

Post #573852 23rd Nov 2020 9:12pm
154JON

United Kingdom 2015 Range Rover Vogue SDV8 Santorini Black

If you fancy a read.

https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/di...ise.38598/

Post #573906 24th Nov 2020 1:02pm
Charles89

Very interesting read. Its interesting how the bending cycle concern in that post is not an issue if you mount to the wheel itself, but rather the adhesives ability to maintain its effectiveness under centrifugal force, unlike mounting the foam to the rubber where the centrifugal forces keep the foam in place. I have tried both solutions and my next step is to actually take a much thicker layer of foam that is mounted to the rim as per my post, but is also thick enough to also make contact with the rubber of the inner part of the tire, this in theory should be the most efficient method of sound absorbency that could resonate from both wheel and tyre combined.

Last time I did this with my cooper discoverers there were no issues with the foam degrading after 18months of use, they did however come loose from the rubber after about 4 months and I had to have the tyre taken off and used a stronger contact adhesive and they were then fine for another 13 months before I changed the wheels and tyres to another brand.

Post #573914 24th Nov 2020 1:36pm
Ajmngn

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Santorini Black

Would love to hear an update on this experiment if there is one? I was also thinking about using plastic or lightweight metal banding to act as a fail safe for the foam. No one would want the contact adhesive to fail at the beginning of a long journey when getting tyre off and refitting/balancing would be a real pain! Andy

2010 4.4TDV8 Vogue SE in Santorini Black with Ivory interior
2017 Audi SQ5 3.0 V6T Quattro in Volcano Red

Post #658091 28th Feb 2023 2:18pm
fisha

2015 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Aruba

If you’re look at dampening resonance ting of an alloy rim, then would you not be able to add something like a strong rubber band to the ring … which would hold to the inner face and not pull away under centrifugal force
Which when I think about it, is called a tyre Rolling with laughter

That being said, if you have a tyre off the car and bounce it, there is a resonance to it, so i guess mass damping could help to deal with that. I’ve never really considered whether that resonance comes from the rim or the tyre ( i presumed the tyre to be honest ) V8 or else ...

Post #658133 28th Feb 2023 10:27pm
evotime

Scotland 

I know this thread was a long time ago. Any update if this actually held up as the CF will be huge I would think

I have seen other testing where the foam was on the tyres but kept getting thrown off, where in fact you would think it would be pinned on due to CF SDV8

Post #660089 23rd Mar 2023 7:17am
Haylands

England 2014 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

OP's not posted on here for over two years, maybe send him a PM, he should receive and email then... Pete

2002 L322 Vogue 4.4 V8 Epson Green, Ivory over Aspen Interior (Fatty Offroader) Sold
-Click for Project Fatty off roader-

Post #660094 23rd Mar 2023 8:27am
evotime

Scotland 

yeah would be good to get his take on it

cheers SDV8

Post #660102 23rd Mar 2023 9:57am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>