Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > General (L405) > Bodywork warranty claims
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
ilard

United Kingdom 
Bodywork warranty claims

After escalating a couple of issues to my dealer, the car needs to go in for some bodywork. Kinda minor issues but worth getting done under warranty.

Door realignment: (£200 to £300 if you’re paying for it)

Click image to enlarge

Pano roof seal pokin’ up:

For the roof, they have to lift the entire glass out and replace the seals. Shocked
That’s about £1300 if you were paying for it.

What’s more concerning is that neither issue was picked up during quality checks at the factory or dealer prior to handover to me. Time to go take a peek at your doors & seals folks and report back here! L405 P400e Autobiography (MY2020)... Silicon Silver / Espresso

Post #575014 3rd Dec 2020 9:32pm
Red Merle

United Kingdom 2017 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Aintree Green

I may even have the very same thing on my door (it seems a lot have) but, I must confess, I've never been up on a set of steps to check the cosmetic condition of the trim around the rear of the sunroof.
Would I get these fixed and risk the car being stripped down and reassembled in the dealer's workshop by an unknown mechanic and possibly introducing other issues? Personally, I'd choose the just carry on using the car. I've not always been like this, I guess it's just that priorities change Wink

Post #575017 3rd Dec 2020 9:57pm
nicksaab

2016 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Corris Grey

Its such a shame these things keep happening. Having had the privilege of doing the L405 factory tour and watching the sheer number of QA people checking every single stage I just don't understand how these issues keep coming up. Its clear every single person on the factory floor takes a massive amount of pride in their work but the parts quality is being controlled far more by accountants than engineers these days. But thats also a problem at almost every other manufacturer .

Yet the problems keep coming up - and much as I would like to blame the woefully poor dealer network who clearly don't understand the products they sell or could give 2 figs for a customer paying 6 figures for a car even I would struggle to be able to pin the root cause of those issues on the dealer. They should have picked them up but given my experience recently it hardly surprises me they didn't. Current Fleet:-
2018 Discovery 5 3.0 HSE
2021 Ford Ranger Wildtrack
2019 Ford Mustang Bullitt 5.0 V8
1993 Defender 90 200TDI Pickup

Gone - not forgotten
2016 L405 4.4 SDV8 Vogue SE
2012 L322 4.4 Westminster
2004 L322 4.4 V8 Autobiography LE
2000 P38 RR 4.0 HSE (ex Clarkson test car)

Post #575019 3rd Dec 2020 10:06pm
supershuttle

England 2013 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Luxor

If I was buying a car I wouldn't be relying on the dealer. I have eyes and that seems like a glaring reason not to buy the car never mind getting it fixed. Geoff

Post #575035 4th Dec 2020 12:14am
ilard

United Kingdom 

I noticed the door trim, but not the roof. At the time I thought the door trim was just that, I did not realise the door required realignment. But if I knew that and I knew the roof seal needed doing I would not have rejected the car, to be honest, not just because of not wanting to wait another 3 months for a new one but it's just one of the things. Agree with nicksaab about the factory, those guys were great, very committed, so I blame the robots! And I'd rather these warranty claims than one for the drivetrain or electrics, so I suppose I am considering myself lucky. L405 P400e Autobiography (MY2020)... Silicon Silver / Espresso

Post #575085 4th Dec 2020 4:26pm
northernmonkeyjones

United Kingdom 2016 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Santorini Black

Doors on mine are similar if not as bad.

I would be getting on some ladders to double check the roof when it was returned. Thumbs Up There is nothing that can't be fixed with a hammer😜😜
FFRR 4.4 SDV8 Autobiography Santorini Black.
Fiat 500x 1.4 multiair Lounge 2015
2010 LR D4 Commercial 2.7 TDV6

Post #575862 12th Dec 2020 5:49pm
ilard

United Kingdom 

Fast forward to now, Beadles North West London have completed the warranty work.

The door alignment is now much better, but that's not the interesting part of this story.

The fixed pano roof seals are integral to the glass unit, so the whole glass was replaced. The first piece delivered had damaged seals and so they had to get in another next day.

The clicking/rattle in the roof lining move my head was an airbag fixing, now resolved. However, whilst replacing the roof glass, with the roof lining removed as part of the job, the glass people creased the headlining. The entire suede cloth headlining had to be replaced, at the glass company's expense, to the tune of £4000 Shocked (half materials, half labour). This part was available for next day. To replace the headlining, the windscreen had to come out. All the work took 8 working days all in and came to approx £6000 worth, although free to me. The dealer does not have courtesy cars "due to covid" but offered to pay for a hire car which I declined. I need the exercise.

I quality checked the work with a torch and a keen eye, and Beadles have done an outstandingly good job. I am shocked, truth be told. I can literally say it's all better than new.

A happy ending. Thumbs Up L405 P400e Autobiography (MY2020)... Silicon Silver / Espresso

Post #581493 28th Jan 2021 1:49pm
adara

Romania 2019 Range Rover Vogue 2.0 PHEV Santorini Black

Did you check the rear tailgate(s)? Mine do not softclose anymore... Also, the lower one lowers too much... 2019 Vogue P400e

Post #581500 28th Jan 2021 3:36pm
ilard

United Kingdom 

Yes, indeed, rest assured everything works. The headlining? Installed by an apprentice. An apprentice. Obviously under tight supervision but I love the fact an apprentice got the chance to do the job and walk away knowing they nailed it. After the work, the car was presented back to me in a new car hand over bay. With a free Land Rover umbrella. Not for sale, folks, not for sale. Can’t wait for it to rain.

Credit where it’s due. I don’t enjoy being a molly moaner but it kept them on their toes. Thumbs Up

I do actually enjoy being a molly moaner Rolling with laughter Shocked L405 P400e Autobiography (MY2020)... Silicon Silver / Espresso

Post #581573 29th Jan 2021 1:34am
ilard

United Kingdom 

Spoke too soon. The ambient lighting does not function (can only get it to stay on for a few seconds) and the front seat belts B pillar adjustment mechanisms are not happy. As am I not happy. Rolling Eyes L405 P400e Autobiography (MY2020)... Silicon Silver / Espresso

Post #581758 30th Jan 2021 2:10pm
jjvd21

United States 

B pillar seat belt adjusting guides have a tricky fitment. If the trim piece doesn’t align properly with the receptacle it can rattle. It may still work but can make a noise. I don’t recall whether the top trim is installed first, or the bottom. If you’re able to pry the trim piece away you may see how it’s supposed to fit to the seat belt slider. It’s an easy fix if you can get to it. I had the headliner out of my SVR and the seatbelt trim pieces weren’t aligned properly upon reinstallation. I was able to fix it myself. 19 RRS SVR
05 D3 HSE

Post #581853 31st Jan 2021 1:17am
ilard

United Kingdom 

Thanks, jjvd21. Good to know. My dealer said they’d look at it next week so I’ll report back then. Thumbs Up

The ambient lighting, ahem, was user error. It does not turn on if the headlamps are not on, unlike some other marques. Bad assumption. How embarrassing. I should have read the manual. OH WAIT. My £120k car didn’t come with any written manual. It’s all online... allegedly. And by the way, since I am on this rant already, the online manual does not state anything about when the ambient lighting is active vs not. Rolling Eyes Basically, I am innocent.

But great response from the dealer, though, for my seatbelt concerns. I am sure they’ll resolve. L405 P400e Autobiography (MY2020)... Silicon Silver / Espresso

Post #582413 4th Feb 2021 10:35pm
Bl4ckD0g

Netherlands 2010 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Santorini Black

Actually it does say that the exterior lighting needs to be on Wink

Anyway good it has been fixed, and broken, and will be fixed again 🤣

Post #582415 4th Feb 2021 10:50pm
ilard

United Kingdom 

It says, which I totally missed:
‘The exterior lights must be switched on while changes are being made.’
The rear lights are on literally all the time while moving, including in broad daylight when they should be off, but the interior lighting is only on when it’s dark enough for headlights and actually the interior lighting should be off. Fair enough! L405 P400e Autobiography (MY2020)... Silicon Silver / Espresso

Post #582418 4th Feb 2021 11:10pm
Bl4ckD0g

Netherlands 2010 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Santorini Black

Sounds like a configuration file is wrong if it keeps the tail lights on all the time for the UK market, should be an easy reprogram if it bothers you.

I'm pretty sure the interior lighting only on with exterior lighting came in as part of an eu safety directive. You must have seen idiots on the wrote without their lights on when they should, but are totally oblivious as their interior lights are on Wink

Post #582431 5th Feb 2021 6:49am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>