Home > Wheels & Tyres > Winter tyres
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Balloonengineer

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Orkney Grey
Winter tyres

I am sure this has been done to death, but maybe not recently

What winter tyres are you lot recommending (by what you have fitted) , and what didn't work for you.

There appears to be a more limited range available (in 19") since brexit, and much higher prices.

Best wishes
Glen Previously......
Series 1 80, Series 3 88, Turbo 90, 300tdi 90, 110's with 200, 300, TD5
TD5 Disco, Disco 3, 200Tdi Disco - probably the best vehicle Landrover ever made,
Now 3x FFRR, some would say I should have learned by now......

Post #679680 6th Dec 2023 11:55pm
Alistair

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Santorini Black

In Kent, I'd probably go with all seasons these days rather than full winters.

There are loads of other threads

Post #679681 7th Dec 2023 7:50am
Balloonengineer

Thanks for your reply

But what I was after was actual experience with different brands of winter tyres?

Best wishes
Glen Previously......
Series 1 80, Series 3 88, Turbo 90, 300tdi 90, 110's with 200, 300, TD5
TD5 Disco, Disco 3, 200Tdi Disco - probably the best vehicle Landrover ever made,
Now 3x FFRR, some would say I should have learned by now......

Post #679683 7th Dec 2023 9:46am
fisha

2015 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Aruba

When I bought my L405, it had Goodyear UltraGrip Performance 22" winters fitted. As I didn't have a set of summer tyres, I ran them into the summer, and they shredded pretty badly to the point they were done as they had thrown / torn sections the lugs and became horribly unbalanced. I'm not harsh on the car and felt they gave out too easily. I'm personally not a fan of conti tyres in general ... haven't been for many a year. I know others like them, but not me.

I've previously had Kumho winters on a freelander 2, and an L322 fattie, and I rated them. The few times that it was properly winter conditions, I felt they did a good job. They also lasted a lot better in the warmer weather I felt.

but that leads to the point made above ... the few times. As said above ... unless you're really going to be using them in winter conditions, I do agree with the idea that all seasons are going to be suited to UK weather more often than winters.

as an aside ... I replaced the winter 22" tyres with a set of Radar Renegade AT5's ( I can hear the draw in of breath from the nay-sayers about cheaper tyres ). They are an AT pattern, but are somehow marked as being 3 peak snow tyres, and have some siping ... so partly winter-ish. I like them so far. Cant really comment on winter grip as yet, as despite the cold weather recently, I've not needed to drive on untreated roads as yet.

I also have a set of 20" wheels with pirelli all seasons which I would happily drive around in the cold weather at the moment as they have a small block / siped pattern as well. V8 or else ...

Post #679684 7th Dec 2023 10:14am
Philip

2019 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Aintree Green

https://www.tyrereviews.com/Article/2023-T...e-Test.htm

Post #679693 7th Dec 2023 12:55pm
cass

United Kingdom 2014 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Causeway Grey

If you ask a 100 people for their opinions on tyres you'll get at least 110 different views Laughing
My view after many years on many cars is that ANY set of cheap winter tyres will out perform ANY set of summer/all season tyres during the cold, wet & icy months of Nov to March.
I run expensive summer tyres for 8 months and cheap winters for 4,

Post #679707 7th Dec 2023 4:26pm
Alistair

Balloonengineer wrote:
But what I was after was actual experience with different brands of winter tyres?

Jon's tests on Tyre Reviews are the best source of comparison. Pretty much no-one else drives them back to back, so might like (or not) their current tyre, but that's not particularly objective - and new tyres are released regularly.

Jon ran a test recently, but I can't find the link - comparing different winter tyre widths, concluding that the difference was negligible.

I run Continental 22" Winters now, I'm on my second set and think they are great. I'm on my second set, but I've only ever run them on an L405. On my L322 I used to run Vredestiein Wintraks which were also good, but that was a while ago.

Any winter will be much better than any non-winter in appropriate conditions. However, in the UK, you rarely get those conditions exclusively, for a prolonged period. So you end up compromising when it gets a bit warmer. It probably doesn't matter too much on a RR, it's not really a performance car, but things like braking distances can vary quite considerably.

Post #679715 7th Dec 2023 5:43pm
Alistair

Here's the comparison of different widths of winter tyres.

As with most tests, it's only partially relevant as it's a car not SUV etc etc

Post #679717 7th Dec 2023 5:55pm
Dutchgit

Germany 2008 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Stornoway Grey

Not having had any experience with them yet but I'll show you my pick for new all season tyres.
I ordered them and have them fitted hopefully this week.

We were out in the snow with worn (almost out) Vredestein all season things which had no thread with visible siping left on the rear axle, which was interesting to experience. I didn't pay much attention to them before we left to my shame and next time I am checking my tyres I'll put on me reading glasses Laughing

The one I picked are these:
https://www.pirelli.com/tyres/en-ww/car/ca...eason-sf-2

Pirelli has a good reputation on here anyway so I thought I'd try these.
We don't get much snow in the Rhine area next to Holland so I wasn't overly concerned about them not receiving top notes for snow and ice.
I do like the fact that they're better on fuel usage apparently, quiet, and should wear well.

Cheers, Ard

Post #679726 7th Dec 2023 6:37pm
Sandyt

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Supercharged 4.2 SC V8 Buckingham Blue

I have Goodyear Ultragrip suv on at the moment and they have been very good prior to that Continentals and have to say my choice was made on availability when I needed to change
As Alistair said before they are probably wasted on the car in the UK I travel in Europe a lot so need to have them if I was i n the UK I would probably just run the Pirelli's all seasons that most on here recommend.

Post #679858 9th Dec 2023 8:39am
JayGee

Unless you live in a very rural area with non gritted / snow ploughed minor roads you need to get along I'd say pure winter tyres are pretty pointless in the UK as if the snow gets bad enough to stop normal traffic (as happeded last week in the Lake district) you are just going to be stuck behind other cars anyway. Given the cost per tyre on RR's ( often 3x as much 'normal' cars)an all season tyre makes the most sense. 2012 TDV8 Vogue (L322)

Post #679867 9th Dec 2023 11:01am
Dutchgit

Germany 2008 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Stornoway Grey

Had the new Pirellis fitted yesterday and only done about 20 km on them of which about 10 on the motorway. Very pleased so far, nice and quiet and a better straight ahead stability. Virtually no input needed to keep driving straight ahead on a fairly good surface with light rain. Cornered nicely too but I didn't feed Fatty Fat the onions yet.
Seeing it's around 10 degrees here mostly I can't meself driving around in the snow very quickly.

They're an all season tyre which is rated for use in snow and valid for it too.

Post #680244 13th Dec 2023 6:20pm
JoolsB

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Buckingham Blue

I live in the north and cover a fair few miles and run GG AT3s all year, never had a problem in any conditions. As mentioned above, when the snow gets bad, it doesn’t really matter how capable your car is as the roads are blocked by others anyway. If it’s really bad I’ll get the defender out but still have the problem of other cars being stuck in front.

Post #680483 16th Dec 2023 5:23pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1