Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > General > MOT test credibility?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
ur20v

A Trap 

https://mattersoftesting.blog.gov.uk/giving-the-right-advice/

Firstly, it's important to understand that advisory items aren't covered by the test regulations and the guidance in the MOT Inspection Manual is 'best practice'. Testers are therefore free to issue appropriate advisories or not to advise at all. There is no disciplinary sanction for not issuing advisories, although it can help your cause on disputed aspects in the event of a DVSA re-inspection of the vehicle.

While the majority of testers issue perfectly valid advisories, we have seen many examples of incorrect, misleading and even abusive advisories being issued. These can't be removed and remain part of the vehicles test history, leading to complaints from vehicle owners, many of which have had unnecessary repairs carried out.

In respect of undertrays, these are common fitment, particularly on diesels, and can't therefore be considered 'a peculiarity of the vehicle identified during the inspection' as maybe they once were. The fact that they may prevent a proper inspection of certain items is no more relevant that the fitment of interior trim or carpet. If a vehicle has been modified, for example as a track day car, and has undershields such as a sump guard or fuel tank shield which are not standard, then it would be logical to advise on their fitment.

The purpose of the MOT test is to check that; at the time of the test, the testable items meet the minimum standard required by law and without dismantling. The responsibility for the condition of a vehicle lies with the vehicle owner and the MOT is not intended to replace routine servicing and maintenance.

The tester’s obligation to presenters and their vehicles is to carry out a test in accordance with the requirements and to advise them, if necessary, in line with the published guidance. It is our experience that most customers don't want a list of inappropriate advisories against their vehicle record.

Post #577520 28th Dec 2020 5:02pm
ur20v

A Trap 

Remember this is a legal test and is not for you to assume anything other than it passed, the car could still be dangerous with defects and it is your responsibility not the MOT tester or test certification.

Your responsibility is to check or have checked your vehicle is safe to use at all times, daily checks, before each drive checks, annual checks etc are all your responsibility. Most people for go the ‘before each drive’ and ‘daily’ checks, but if something happens, it’s your fault, you cannot pass on this responsibility or use the MOT test and certificate to imply anything.... literally the car could legally and properly pass the MOT and have a failure the very next drive and it would be on you. The MOT is just the minimum legal requirements visible and or testable at that point of time, nothing else.

Post #577523 28th Dec 2020 5:10pm
JAD

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Epsom Green

I've recently sold my Discovery 2 which had been off the road for 3 years and needed some serious welding around the back end and throughout the chassis plus front wheel arches and a whole host of issues from the last MOT. I was surprised to see it back on the road a week later with a full MOT and not a single advisory!

Plus my recently purchased Rangey came with a new MOT and has needed new front arms and ball joints within 200 miles of me picking it up. This is after me pointing out a knock on the test drive only to be told that they couldn't find anything wrong with it.

Suffice to say, although it's nice to have a full MOT I'm now extremely scepticle about it as sign of the vehicles state of repair.

Post #577545 28th Dec 2020 6:43pm
northernmonkeyjones

United Kingdom 2016 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Santorini Black

I think that’s the point.

It isn’t a condition report on the vehicle. As above it’s an on the day inspection to see if everything is passable.

It’s useful to look back on past results to see if a vehicle has been maintained well as usually a poorly maintained one will throw up stuff at its MOT which those of us who take care of our cars wouldn’t let get to that stage. There is nothing that can't be fixed with a hammer😜😜
FFRR 4.4 SDV8 Autobiography Santorini Black.
Fiat 500x 1.4 multiair Lounge 2015
2010 LR D4 Commercial 2.7 TDV6

Post #577546 28th Dec 2020 6:50pm
ur20v

A Trap 

This stupid debate has been going on for as long as MOT’s have been in force, as an ex-MOT tester from back in the 90’s I remember the same conversation and this is One of the reasons the MOT history is now kept on failures and advisories is to stop people presenting cars in unknown condition, you are supposed to keep your vehicles in a fully operational and safe order at all times, not just rely on what the MOT throws up, a service AND inspection should be Carried out annual at least (mileage and use dependent which would big down the inspection interval - not up it!) your car should be fully inspected before an MOT, a more complete inspection including removing under trays and engine covers, taking wheels and drums off, etc etc.

If you give any wait to the MOT certificate more than the legal need like insurance and it’s value of 54.85 for the cost of the MOT. Anything else is a dangerous assumption and over reach. That’s why it’s spelled out on the MOT certificate.

Post #577611 29th Dec 2020 9:22am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12