Home > General (L405) > SDV8 towing capability
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Print this entire topic · 
458GT

United Kingdom 
SDV8 towing capability

Hello,

Recently joined the forum, although have been doing some reading in the background.

I've decided to go down the route of a Range Rover (L405) and was hoping to choose one in the coming months. Either a 17+ or facelift 18+, but seem to have narrowed down to an SDV8 engine variant. Undecided on an Autobiography or a generally well spec'd car, but will leave to another time.

At present I'm quite interested in knowing how owners have gotten on with using the platform for towing trailers with cars on? Whilst I'll be using it as daily, it will be used for transporting my track cars around or the occasional rather heavy project..

I assume they'd cope well, but always nice to hear thoughts.

Also how have people gotten on with the reliability / functionality of the electric deployable tow bar? (Is there a manual override if these fail?)

Post #577971 1st Jan 2021 1:07pm
458GT

United Kingdom 

my mistake, seem to have posted this in the general section rather than the L405 general section Laughing

If a moderator could kindly move - Thank you!

Post #577972 1st Jan 2021 1:12pm
northernmonkeyjones

United Kingdom 2016 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Santorini Black

Hi and welcome.

Not sure there are many who specifically tow car trailers, but as a general tow car the 405 is very good. I’ve used mine a 4.4 AUtobigraphy for towing my 2t twin axle caravan and it was nice and stable and pulled well.

Tows this little lot quite comfortably....

Subjectivley I think the 322 was better, marginally, due to the extra weight, but it is marginal.

In terms of the deployable tow bar there are some instances of the bar failing to deploy through lack of use, can basically just seize up. Personally I decided to find a car without a tow bar and get a Westfalia detachable one fitted. No potential problem with the mechanism then and it’s pretty much as neat and tidy when detached. There is nothing that can't be fixed with a hammer😜😜
FFRR 4.4 SDV8 Autobiography Santorini Black.
Fiat 500x 1.4 multiair Lounge 2015
2010 LR D4 Commercial 2.7 TDV6

Last edited by northernmonkeyjones on 2nd Jan 2021 5:54pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #577974 1st Jan 2021 1:28pm
Red Merle

United Kingdom 2017 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Aintree Green

Very expensive to retrofit and electric tow bar (up to £3,000) and really, what is the point?!

The Westfalia will allow you to buy and fit a decent hitch of your choice and fit a proper bumper protector too. It won’t break down on you when you need it either.

A Westfalia will give you the ability to fit a hitch like this, which will give you a decent recovery attachment point too:

https://www.jgs4x4.co.uk/dixon-bate-combin...ne-da2123/

Post #577977 1st Jan 2021 2:13pm
northernmonkeyjones

As RM says, westfalia gives a choice. There’s either the farmers hitch type flange bar, which you can fit a standard ball to or a ball and pin hitch, or you can fit a full detachable type, which is the same system as on the 322, socket on the car which the swan neck snaps into.

Either is a better and cheaper solution to the electric one imho... There is nothing that can't be fixed with a hammer😜😜

Post #577978 1st Jan 2021 2:18pm
Cam-Tech-Craig

England 2015 Range Rover SVAutobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

NMJ, the 322 never had a deployable towbar sir... Neutral

Post #577981 1st Jan 2021 2:34pm
Alistair

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Santorini Black

The SDV8 is awesome for towing - I've had an Ifor Williams, comfortably over weight and towed it 850 miles including up a mountain - twice - when I bought a ski apartment.

I've towed car trailers with the L322 without a problem -

and a heavy boat with both -

I get what NMJ says about the L322, but I prefer the extra grunt I get with the L405. Either way, you'd be hard pushed to find a better tow car IMHO.

Post #577983 1st Jan 2021 2:44pm
northernmonkeyjones

Cam-Tech-Craig wrote:
NMJ, the 322 never had a deployable towbar sir... Neutral

Was talking about the westfalia detachable type 👍🏻 Had basically the same bar attachment on the 322 as I’ve now got on the 405z There is nothing that can't be fixed with a hammer😜😜

Post #577984 1st Jan 2021 2:50pm
CS

Scotland 2017 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Corris Grey

The LR farmer's hitch towbar is about a third of the price of the deployable one to retrofit, quick on and off and no risk of seizure. Slightly higher nose weight limit too. Possible downside of needing a separate lock to avoid the bar being stolen by someone pulling the pin out. Only Range Rovers since 1988

Post #577985 1st Jan 2021 2:58pm
Red Merle

United Kingdom 2017 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Aintree Green

Although locks are readily available Thumbs Up

If you do get a Westfalia, make sure to get one fitted with the anti-rattle bolt that holds the removable hitch firmly in place during use.

Post #577994 1st Jan 2021 3:42pm
nicksaab

2016 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Corris Grey

Have towed happily a 3.5t horse trailer and car trailer all over the country with a 4.4 petrol L322, a 4.4 diesel L322 and recently with my L405 SDV8 - and all three are exceptionally capable towcars - but the L405 is still the best place to be though.

I retrofitted a deployable towbar to my L405. I had to do a bit of research with finding all the parts and part numbers but the bits can all be found on ebay - just need to make sure you do get all the brackets with the towbar as they can be difficult to find individually but the buttons, loom and module are around on ebay.

If you tow regularly then the deployable one is very capable - the issues seem to be mostly through lack of use and there has been an updated electronic module issued for some of the early ones which was also the source of some problems. . Cycling through the deployment every couple of weeks or so will be enough to keep it nicely lubricated. Its also the neatest and cleanest looking solution.

I've put a full parts list and instal guide here.

https://www.fullfatrr.com/forum/topic57054.html

Admittedly its still not as cheap as installing one of the Westfalia options but far cheaper than the £3k a Landrover dealer will want to fit a new one. Such a shame as it was only a £950 factory fit option!

Also note that the MY13-16, MY17 and MY18 wiring setups are all slightly different. Current Fleet:-
2018 Discovery 5 3.0 HSE
2021 Ford Ranger Wildtrack
2019 Ford Mustang Bullitt 5.0 V8
1993 Defender 90 200TDI Pickup

Gone - not forgotten
2016 L405 4.4 SDV8 Vogue SE
2012 L322 4.4 Westminster
2004 L322 4.4 V8 Autobiography LE
2000 P38 RR 4.0 HSE (ex Clarkson test car)

Post #577998 1st Jan 2021 4:12pm
diesel Dave

England 2015 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

L405 is an awesome tow car, SDV8 has endless grunt and always feels relaxed when pulling 2ton of caravan.

Post #578016 1st Jan 2021 6:44pm
458GT

United Kingdom 

Thank you all for the pictures and advice - glad I signed up. Seems I'm heading in the right direction.

I like the idea of the electric deployable version as an aesthetic, but naturally did think of the reliability. It just appears that for the model years I'm considering, I'd probably find a vehicle with it on. Having said that, if the maths work then suppose happy to consider the retrofit Westphalia now.

I'd only tow with it when going on trackdays and when shipping around my personal projects. Certainly not something I envisage towing every day, henceforth not really wanting a dedicated tow vehicle.

I've ruled out the V6 as I feel I'd want the extra grunt when towing and quick review seems the V8 for years I'm considering should be mechanically stable assuming a complete service history.

If I get on with it, then I'll reconsider my options when the next model debuts, which I feel is imminent. Likely will need to get into a hybrid version in the future anyhow.

Post #578042 1st Jan 2021 9:54pm
northernmonkeyjones

Good luck with the search, there are quite a few around, but IMHO I would give it a few months. The prices at the moment are quite inflated due to the shortage of new stock coming through and folks holding onto cars a bit longer.

Also they can be expensive mistresses when they go wrong so if you can find one with a LR warranty then that is a good idea! There is nothing that can't be fixed with a hammer😜😜

Post #578050 1st Jan 2021 11:11pm
Cam-Tech-Craig

England 2015 Range Rover SVAutobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

Also they are priced high as its snowy season and all the yummy mummies need a 4x4 to get through the snowdrifts on the Kings Rd! Rolling Eyes Whistle

The prices do the exact opposite thing to cabriolets Thumbs Up

Oh and for the record, my deployable towbar cost me less than £800 found on eBay 3yrs ago... Thumbs Up

Post #578055 2nd Jan 2021 12:38am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>