Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > My Range Rover > Back with another Supercharged
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 58 123 ... 565758>
Print this entire topic · 
dhallworth

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Autobiography TDV8 Baltic Blue
Back with another Supercharged

In 2014 I sold my last Supercharged L322 as I was planning to upgrade to a 5.0. In the end I gave up looking for the perfect 5.0 as I was being very picky on the colour and spec.

Nearly 3 years ago I bought a Jaguar XFR to cure my lust for a 5.0 and have been looking at 5.0 L322’s on and off ever since.

On Christmas Day when everyone else was asleep I was flicking through eBay as you do and found a 2007 Supercharged advertised as spares or repair due to a misfire. I was told that it hadn’t been properly diagnosed but the worst was feared due to the car having LPG. I spoke to the seller on the phone, he named his price and a deal was done.

I thought about going down with the trailer to fetch it myself but with COVID and the borders supposedly shut I thought it best to have it delivered. Quotes were under 300 quid door to door which from Halifax to Glasgow seemed more then reasonable so delivery was booked.

The car was delivered at 2pm today and considering I bought it and paid for it without even seeing it, I’m pleasantly surprised! I didn’t want to ask the delivery guy to drop it at the door as the road had some pretty nasty frozen bends on it and it didn’t seem fair to ask him to drag this lump on the trailer up there so it was dropped 1/2 mile away at the start of the lane to the house.

It’s filthy after sitting on the trailer behind the tow car that tugged it up the A1, A66, M74, M8 and needs a good sorting out. I’m going to de-chrome it and put the wheels back to silver too. I always have my cars detailed so it’ll get that treatment when my guy can fit it in.

The car has loads of service history, 2 excellent Pirelli Scopion Zero’s, 2 brand new Scorpion Verde’s, removable tow bar, etc. It really is a nicely spec’d and nicely sorted car. The interior needs a good clean and the leather conditioning but it’ll tidy up nicely. All the buttons do what they should and everything seems to work other then the reversing camera.

After I’d got it home I had a quick look at it, read the codes with the IID tool and had a look. It pointed to a misfire on cylinder 1. Whilst removing the cover from the rocker cover I could smell molten plastic, it was disgusting. When the cover was out of the way the fault became apparent.

I removed the plug from that cylinder and the adjacent one to make sure there was no obvious reason for it failing and they both looked identical. Last week whilst playing guess the fault on eBay I ordered a spare coil as I thought it might be handy for troubleshooting. I swapped it with cylinder 1 and started the car and it was purring perfectly on 8 and it drove spot on.

I’ve already got a new set of plugs on the way and I’m going to order all the filters, all the oils, gearbox service kit and a supercharger rebuild kit for it to ensure that it’s in fighting form, and then change the towing electrics to 13 pin and see where we go from here.

I’m going to start doing some research into replacement for the reversing camera and start the process of de-pimping it. I was to remove the chrome tubes and replace them with deployable side steps, I want to replace the chrome grill and side vents with standard ones and the wheels will be put back to silver.

This and the XFR should make the perfect pair of Supercharged V8’s hopefully!

David. 2002 4.6 Vogue SE - Alveston Red with Lightstone Leather
2007 Range Rover Supercharged in Java Black with Ivory Leather
2012 Range Rover 5.0 SC Autobiography in Indus Silver with Jet/Ivory Interior
2012 Range Rover 4.4 TDV8 Autobiography in Baltic Blue with Sand Interior

Last edited by dhallworth on 4th Jan 2021 12:27am. Edited 1 time in total

Post #578332 4th Jan 2021 12:14am
quavey

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Supercharged 4.2 SC V8 Java Black

Looks great, I saw this on ebay as well... I'm glad its been an easy fix, I wish I had been brave! Best of luck with it! 2005 E60 M5
2006 L322 4.2 SC
2020 Tesla Model S Long Range
--------
2004 L322 4.4 Vogue, 2019 NP300 Navara, 2016 NP300 Navara, 2002 L322 4.4 HSE, 2006 (MY07) L322 S/C ,2001 330Ci Sport Track Car, 2005 650i Coupe, 2001 P38 Vogue, 2003 530i Sport Touring, 1999 P38 4.6 HSE, 2002 E39 M5, 1995 300zx TT Slicktop, 1997 M3 Evo, 1992 300zx TT Targa, 1998 323i Coupe

Post #578333 4th Jan 2021 12:19am
Cam-Tech-Craig

England 2015 Range Rover SVAutobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

Ahhh man! i missed that one Rolling Eyes Crying or Very sad

Post #578349 4th Jan 2021 1:24am
dhallworth

Laughing Lucky me! Laughing

It took me a couple of days to make contact with the seller, I was genuinely amazed it was still there. It was on eBay for over a week with no bids too! 2002 4.6 Vogue SE - Alveston Red with Lightstone Leather

Post #578350 4th Jan 2021 1:46am
bigbo

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Supercharged 4.2 SC V8 Buckingham Blue

Go on P*** all of us off, what did it cost?

Everybody always finds something cheaper than what I paid! New 65" tv bargain 2 months later and I'm gutted! lol Range Rover 4.2 Supercharged 2006
Ford Focus EcoBoost 1.5 2017
MG TF 2003

Previous Cars of note
Land Rover Discovery 2
Jaguar Mk2 3.8 - Company car
MG Midget 1974 - Concours

Post #578356 4th Jan 2021 2:23am
dhallworth

About the same price as 4 years worth of road tax on it. Wink

That includes having it delivered and the coil pack. 2002 4.6 Vogue SE - Alveston Red with Lightstone Leather

Last edited by dhallworth on 27th Jul 2021 12:43am. Edited 1 time in total

Post #578357 4th Jan 2021 2:42am
bigbo

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Supercharged 4.2 SC V8 Buckingham Blue

Ha Ha, I don't pay any road tax, so must be free Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Range Rover 4.2 Supercharged 2006
Ford Focus EcoBoost 1.5 2017
MG TF 2003

Previous Cars of note
Land Rover Discovery 2
Jaguar Mk2 3.8 - Company car
MG Midget 1974 - Concours

Post #578358 4th Jan 2021 2:58am
24valve

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Autobiography Black TDV8 Santorini Black

Censored ...I was eyeing up that one too.. 2010 L322 Autobiography Black Edition
1975 Land Rover

Post #578408 4th Jan 2021 4:12pm
Superspoons

England 2006 Range Rover Vogue SE 4.2 SC V8 Zambezi Silver

Well done - I saw this as well lol

Great write up and I'm looking forward to following your progress with it Smile Gavin

2005 Range Rover Vogue SE 4.2 Supercharged V8
1998 Defender 50th Anniversary - GB168 - preparing for sale

Follow my 4.2 Supercharged antics -
https://www.fullfatrr.com/forum/topic63354.html
https://www.instagram.com/l322_supercharged/
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8ChHNSdscnJarKjBLd_IAg

Post #578424 4th Jan 2021 5:43pm
dhallworth

Thanks Smile

There's a very feint noise when it's idling. My Dad can just hear it but I can hear it enough to know it's there and not be happy with it. Disconnecting the Supercharger belt has confirmed that it goes away when the drive to the Supercharger is removed so I'm going to remove the Supercharger this evening and will speak to Powerhouse again tomorrow and work out what we need. I'm debating doing it myself or sending it to them to be fully rebuilt.

When changing from 2nd to 3rd gear in automatic I noticed a slight tug between gear changes. In tiptronic mode it's as smooth as silk. Again, it's not bad but I'd rather nip it in the bud before it gets any worse. A service kit for the gearbox is just over £200 from Sussex Auto's. I'm thinking about ordering a set of solenoids to change them whilst I've got it drained down as at 130k they're likely to be a bit worn anyway. They seem to be around £250. It kinda makes sense to change them and only have to refill it with oil once.

I PM'd RRPhil for some advice last night but have since seen a message saying he's retired which is a shame.

Those are the only 2 things I've seen wrong with it. They're not even big issues but I'm a firm believer in prevention being better then cure and at least it gives me something to do during lockdown rather then listening to Mrs H whilst it's broken down when we start using it.

Once it's mechanically sorted, possibly even before, the chrome tubes will be coming off as will the chrome mirror caps, side vents and the grill, and the wheels are going back to silver. Thumbs Up

Post #578425 4th Jan 2021 5:50pm
northernmonkeyjones

United Kingdom 2016 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Santorini Black

That will make a good car when sorted David. Nice easy fix on the misfire, the box will definitely benefit from a fluid swap, and solenoids will possibly smooth it out further.

I didn’t like the chrome tubes on my 07, and I didn’t want to go to the expense of deplorable steps on that one so I had them powder coated in black, looked loads better, but then again there are probably some cheap steps out there as it’s an 07 I’m sure there will be some old stock lying about!

Good luck on getting the mirror caps off. They may be aftermarket, in which case they should be easy to get off, but as you may have seen if they are original then they don’t come off easily! Have a pair of black ones ready to go on as if they are original then the mirrors underneath won’t be salvageable! Edit... Looking at them they are full covers which won’t be original so you may get away with it!

Are you planning on keeping it on LPG? Or having the system taken out? There is nothing that can't be fixed with a hammer😜😜
FFRR 4.4 SDV8 Autobiography Santorini Black.
Fiat 500x 1.4 multiair Lounge 2015
2010 LR D4 Commercial 2.7 TDV6

Post #578441 4th Jan 2021 8:11pm
dhallworth

The LPG system on it looks to have been installed quite nicely. It’s got twin reducers, the electronic flashlube system, and everything appears to have had some thought go into mounting it.

Once I’ve got it sorted, I’ll run it on LPG and see how it runs, if it runs well enough and doesn’t mess around of feel down on power I’ll probably leave it be.

If it’s going to be a nightmare I’m not going to spend any time on it so it’ll be getting removed.

It’s in the workshop parked next to the 4.4 AB just now. You don’t half realise how dated the 2007 cars look when it’s parked next to our 2012.

After the announcements from the powers that be this afternoon/this evening, I’m glad I’ve got something to be tinkering with now!

Post #578467 4th Jan 2021 10:30pm
dhallworth

Got a few bits looked at on the SC today. When it’s cold there is a very slight miss so I’ve ordered 8 coils for it. There’s also an oil leak from the unit the filter mounts to. There’s a rubber seal between it and the block so I’ve ordered that. I’ve not found anything untoward or out of the ordinary other then effectively a major service and a few odds and sods.

I noticed that there was a leak from the water pump so took the fan and both belts off to get into the water pump. It’s the gasket between both halves of the pump that’s leaking but it’s not worth messing around with so I’m going to replace the whole unit.

The idlers and tensioners for both belts didn’t feel particularly nice either so I decided I’d replace them. I don’t like aftermarket parts as I’ve had bad experiences with them not lasting in the past. Genuine idlers are expensive for what they are too. Thankfully, all of the pulleys on this are metal so I pressed the bearings out today.

The bearings in both idlers and both tensioner pulleys are the same. They’re 6203-2RSH bearings. The numbers were visible on the original bearings along with NTN Canada manufacturer markings. A quick trip to the Bearing King website and I was able to order 4 SKF bearings, including delivery for less then 20 quid. They came out very easily using a socket and a vice so the new ones should go back in nicely enough.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

The old bearings were pretty gritty and horrible so I’m glad they’re getting changed. There was a chirp when the car was cold for a couple of minutes too so it’ll be nice to have them all replaced.

The mounting for the viscous fan is also very gritty and horrible and I want to change the bearings in that too. Unfortunately, I cannot press the shaft out of the middle to get to the bearings. Even with the press at maximum load and giving it some persuading with a hammer it’s still not budging.

Click image to enlarge

I’ll speak to Rob on Monday and get him to stick one of these on my order.

Step 1 of de-chroming the car was completed today... the chrome mirror caps weren’t factory fitted thankfully so have come off and left the mirrors underneath intact! They just need a clean and some panel wipe to get rid of the sticky tape residue. Door handles and side tubes next!

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Will post more progress as parts start to arrive.

Post #579112 9th Jan 2021 9:18pm
Gsxr1250dave

England 

That was on my watch list, glad it's a simple fix and some one on here got it Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

Post #579116 9th Jan 2021 9:44pm
Cam-Tech-Craig

England 2015 Range Rover SVAutobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

David, i presume you know about the rubber tubes and gaskets above the mechatronics in the gearbox? These when warn can create bad shifting... Thumbs Up

Post #579133 10th Jan 2021 3:08am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 58 123 ... 565758>